Trusted Contributor

KatCat1 wrote:

@Shanus,  Thank you, Shanus.  Hopefully, I can find in the store or check out our one and only Jewish deli.  i like your trip about the soda.  Matzo balls are better when lighter. IMO  Cat Very Happy

LOL @Katcat1 - Not to me! I grew up with cannonballs and that's how I like them. I remember making them with my mom but sadly I don't have her recipe and she's long passed.

I do recall that she put chicken fat in the mix and let it sit in the fridge for about an hour before we made them into the matzo balls.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus- would your fruit recipe be considered "compote?" Not sure of the spelling; just remember my mom making something like that.

Respected Contributor

Shanus, we come up with desserts because they are so darned good!  My specialty happens to be Diabetic fare, and this Passover is going to be splendid! Stock up on almonds and almond meal people: for years I could never figure out why professional kosher bakeries had such dreamy moist cakes....what were they doing to the matzo meal??? I am fully convinced the bulk of their cake batter is made with almond meal-and of course, lots of eggs! 

I will post the recipe for Nigella Lawson's Clementine Cake later, but I have made it several times using sugar substitutes and it passes muster with everyone who tastes it!

Last year, Jamie Gellar gave us the "all-clear" on quinoa: the vast majority of Orthodox Rabbis have ruled it's kosher for Pesach!

I never had luck with farfel stuffing: DH's aunt could make a pretty decent one, but mine always turned out like glue....

I'm not making it: there are Paleo recipes on the net-easy to find- for Paleo cornbread: almond meal, coconut flour, eggs and shredded unsweetened coconut give it the cornbread texture.  I am going to use it as stuffing! Plus, it gives you nutrients you won't get from Farfel! What is not to like when it comes to boosting Omega-3's and FIBER??

Chicken schmaltz is actually good for you-contrary to popular belief-but what's even better? Duck Schmaltz! It's available from Maple Leaf Farms and D'Artagnon.

Duck is going to be on our menu. DH can't have beef because of gout, but duck is fine.  Maple Leaf Farms sells 1 lb packages of duck breast pieces without skin: I make Julia Child's classic B'ouf Bournigon" using it. I used to dredge the pieces in cake meal, but I am going to try coconut flour. It is fairly innocuous: it does not scream with coconut flavor......

I am really excited that Maple Leaf Farms now sells boneless duck breast with the skin on: I'm doing something wonderful with that the First Night.

Note: you have to order from Maple Leaf Farms on-line: they sell duck and roasted duck halves in the freezer section, but the other products have to be ordered on-line.  As a bonus, if you order a certain amount, they send you a hard cover cook book centered around.....Duck!

I am really excited about Passover this year: I almost felt it was a punishment because of the diabetes issue.....to be sure, I will have obligatory bites of matzo-and Pesach just wouldn't be Pesach without Matzoh Ball Soup, but it now has a new healthier slant.

If you don't already subscribe to her news letters, Jamie Gellar is an absolute must for Passover recipes.  She has her own show on Jewish Living TV, but her news letters are phenomenal!

Shabbat Shalom Y'All!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@sandraskates. I think my Mom calls it compote, as well. I just couldn't think of that word when relating the recipe.. thanks.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

You're not bumping in @Katcat1, but sorry to disappoint you. I use the box mix and have for many years. I substitute club soda for the water and it makes them lighter & fluffier!!! Keep the lid on the pot when boiling or they'll float up the ceiling. 😂

Shanus,

What a great suggestions!  (both for using club soda and for keeping the lid on the pot so the matza balls don't float up to the ceiling).  Love your sense of humor.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus

And all the rest of you lovely ladies-I'm so pleased you chose to post your recipes in this forum!  I so enjoy @sunala post every week-it is such a peaceful blessing and comfort to read-I read it many times a week to feel the calm and peace. 

That said, I am not Jewish but am so excited to see and maybe try some of the dishes you share-one request if not too cumbersome-I don't know what is kosher wine.   Would it be possible for you to recommend a brand?  If I am going to try these recipes, I want to honor them correctly! 

Respected Contributor

@mustang66lady, there are strict rules about not having fermented products on Passover because we are to be reminded that we had to get out of town (Egypt) so quickly, we didn't have time to even make bread and let it rise-which is why matzoh is eaten.  The time required to make it from start to finish is an arbitrary 17 minutes!

Now why some of us spend hours and days prepping is beyond me....but thousands of years ago, Moses said "Pack up your shovels, your camels and your jackasses(- the "Jack"). We're going to The Promised Land!" A couple of years later, we now say"Put down your shovel, sit on your a$$, light up a Camel-this is The Promised Land"!

I digress....you asked about wine.  For many years, our only choices were Mogen David or Manishewitz-both are very sweet....and the joke there is that when discussing wine, we talk about vintage YEARS: regarding those two wines, we lovingly joke about vintage DAYS...laugh all you want, but there is nothing like Mogen David for making Charoses-a delightful "spread" made typically from fruit and nuts that reminds us of when we had to make bricks without straw as a punishment.  When the Passover story is being told, to remember this event, we take a little charoses and put it on matzoh (you may also find the spelling of "charoseth") .

A few years back, sanctions were obviously lifted on fermentation when it comes to kosher wines.  You can now buy varietal kosher for Pesach wines that are "savory": Baron Herzog makes a wonderful chardonnay for example. I have had some excellent wines from the Gaza-big surprise there because it's known for being arid....some excellent kosher for Pesach wines are coming out of Chile as well...other than Baron Herzog, I can't remember the names of others, but they are out there!

This is an aside, but Jesus was Jewish and it is thought "The Last Supper" occured at Passover. I do not wish to insult non-Jews, but we have a beloved Sage in our history by the name of Hillel.  

Hillel lived 2000 years before Jesus and were very much a part of Jewish wisdom that Jesus-as a Rabbi-would have been familiar with....and much of what was attributed to Jesus was actually said by Hillel!  This is no way detracts from Jesus: if anything, I see it in a very positive way as cementing people of faith and good will together.

Many Christian churches have Passover dinners and I think it's a lovely way to learn about what Rabbi Jesus would have known about and would have grown up with.

Have a great day and welcome to "The Sisterhood"

Poodlepet2 (card carrying lifetime member of Hadassah)

Esteemed Contributor

@Poodlepet2

How lovely of you to take so much time teaching us (me!) your beautiful history.  I did study Hebrew History in college a lifetime ago it was more the study of the Old Testament of the Christian Bible.  I have always been interested; without the Jewish faith, the Christian faith would not exist.  You are my brothers and sisters and I feel the need to understand your struggles as well as your success and joys.  I don't really know a way to "know" people more than thru their food!  Have to admit, I'm not going to be an easy sell on that "gelfite" fish (Sp?) as I am a MidWest girl thru and thru!  That's a MidWest thing though as I don't go near sushi either. 

I am familiar with Mogan David and Manishewitz and have tasted both.  Yes they are very sweet and remind me of local wineries that produce some extremely sweet wines as well-Velvet Red as well as several others.  I am a drier the better wine person but I can understand cooking with sweet wines for certain dishes. 

Again, thank you for your time to answer my question and for the history lesson.  I am so looking forward to recipes from you ladies! 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: PASSOVER RECIPES

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

Easy Passover Fruit Dessert

Stew assortment of fruits (apples, blueberries, whatever's 

fresh and avail) in enough kosher wine to cover

Let cool to room temperature

Serve over ice cream (or not) w/ a little of the "syrup"

Crumble macaroons over the top. Yummy!!!!

@Shanus  thank you so much for starting this yummy thread! There are so many recipes, we could probably start our own cookbook with our favorites, which many temples and sisterhoods do.

Thank you everyone for your contributions! Here is my recipe which I think you'll all enjoy. It's certainly not for people watching their sugar, but for those who can indulge, I hope you enjoy!

4-6 Sheets of unsalted matzah

1 cup unsalted butter (two sticks)

1 cup light brown sugar

1 cup (6 oz) semi sweet chocolate bits

(sprinkle sea salt) (1/2 tsp vanilla)

Preheat oven to 375.

Lightly grease cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Line bottom of pan entirely with matzah, breaking into smaller pieces if necessary to fill the entire sheet, including corners.

In saucepan, combine butter and sugar, and cook over medium heat until boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and cook, stirring, until begins to boil, about three minutes.  Pour sugar/butter mixture evenly over matzah.

Bake for about 15 minutes, checking every four or five minutes to make sure it's not burning. Should be light caramel colored only --BURNS VERY EASILY!!

Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate bits. Let stand for 5 minutes, then spread melted bits over entire surface. Chill in refrigerator until set, and break into pieces.   ENJOY!!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

I suppose, if I forgot about healthy eating, I would happily  eat potato latkes every day of the year and never grow tired of them.   I've made quite a few in my lifeSmiley Happy  Most of them come from very uncomplicated recipes....grate a potato, strain the liquid from the potato (keep the potato starch) add some onion and egg and fry.   I know, I know...the below recipe is fussy,  but I am convinced it makes THE BEST latkes. 

Andrew Zimmern's"Killer Potato Latkes"Latkes.JPG

Ingredients

• 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
  • Sea salt
  • 2 pounds baking potatoes
  • 1 large onion, finely diced
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup matzo meal
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
  • Vegetable oil, for frying
  • Applesauce, crème fraîche, smoked salmon, salmon roe and dill sprigs, for serving

1.  In a medium saucepan, cover the Yukon Gold potatoes with cool water, season generously with salt and bring to a boil.  Cook the potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes.  Drain well and immediately pass the potatoes through a ricer into a large bowl.

2.  Working quickly, peel and grate the baking potatoes on the large holes of a box grater into a medium bowl.  Press with a clean kitchen towel to remove excess moisture.  Add half of the grated potatoes to the riced potatoes.

3.  Transfer the remaining grated potatoes to the bowl of a food processor.  Add the onion and pulse until the potatoes and onions are very finely chopped.  Transfer to a fine-mesh sieve and press with the back of a spoon to extract as much liquid as possible (throw away the liquid).  Add the sieved potato-onion mixture to the large bowl.  Stir in the eggs, matzo meal, white pepper and 2 teaspons of salt.

4.  In a large, heavy skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil until shimmering.  Working in 3 batches, spoon 1/4 cup of the potato mixture into the oil for each latke; press slightly to flatten.  Fry over moderate heat, turning once, until the latkes are golden and crisp on both sides, about 7 minutes.  Drain the latkes on a paper towel-lined baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with salt.  Serve with appleasauce, sour cream, smoked salmon and dill.

Makes 20 latkes

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela