Honored Contributor

All comments, questions and stories about Passover (not recipes) please post here in AMONG FRIENDS. Passover Recipe thread getting "clogged" w/ non-recipe posts.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus

I appreciate you trying to separate the recipe thread to this one for questions and stories.  I'm not sure how successful it will be because the food of Jewish people is so rooted in the stories of why and how they came to be, then people are putting their own spin from their lives.  I think it enhances the thread but it will be difficult to find recipes if we don't at least try to separate things some.  Will roll with the flow no matter how it shakes out. 

I have to admit, I am sorely confused by all the requirements and amazed at what you all know and practice.  I know it is much easier being raised this way than trying to jump in mid-stream.  I do have a question-I thought it was not practice to mix dairy with meat during certain observances, yet there are many mentions of lasagna and even a recipe or two shared.  Do you not use cheese or did I not understand the information correctly?   I can't imagine lasagna without cheese but I don't make it often although my family loves it (I personally don't like  pasta except for Chinese Lo-mein which probably should get me kicked off the recipe forum altogether!  Woman LOL).  In fact, it's a joke at our house when I do make pasta-the first thing DH asks is "Are you feeling ok?"  I never made lasagna with "noodles" of zucchini but think i would like that but can't imagine leaving out cheese. 

Also want to thank you for sharing your information and stories.  I put a note on the Pot Sticker soup thread where I post most often, for those ladies to take a look at the original thread as it is just so interesting.  I think your nic is lovely no matter what the root but having some Irish in my family line, your nic just brings thoughts of an Irish name.  I understand why your nic is as it is. 

I am tired as we had our St. Paddys Day dinner today with our family and while we had a grand day, I am exhausted.  Please sleep peacefully; maybe I will be a tad more energetic tomorrow but if not, you all know why!

Peace my friend.  Heart

Respected Contributor

@mustang66lady, to answer your question-I will take responsibility for this we don't mix milk and meat....this is not a criticism of those who do because in modern times, we have two separate types of cattle raised in huge herds: those for dairy, and those for meat.

The original law is "You shall not boil a kid in its mother's milk" The Rabbis taught us to respect every aspect of food-and to respect the life force and gifts an animal gives us.  What could be more cruel than cooking a animal in its mother's life giving milk""? That's why we separate milk from meat.

Kosher butcher's are not merely butcher's by any means.  That story that Cherry shared was entertaining, but sent shudders down my spine.  Sunala pointed out he could have lost his livelihood, but he could have faced the worst fate: excommunication. Yes, it's that serious. There are very specific commandments regarding what may and may not be eaten that are followed and discussed to this day...

So, we have our lasagna: in an Orthodox home, no such dish would ever be made with cheese.

We don't have a Kosher kitchen, but during Preach, we do not mix milk and meat. For my family, it underscores and reminds us of our Jewish identity. There are some who do-that's ok. None of us are in the position to pass moral judgement....although passing judgment would be done in smaller insulated communities.

In general, Jews do not to seek out converts: you take on a lot by entering the Jewish Community because you are actively entering an agreement the Children of Israel accepted from Adonai to be His people. He did not choose us: He made it clear on Sinai that we were taking on a lot and he expected a lot from us-rules and all! Please read the Book of Leviticus: that will give you a really good understanding of why we do what we do. Read it with the idea that Jesus, as a Rabbi, would have known about every inch of those rules-and the laws that were offshoots of the original laws-the Halacha-that are in place to protect the original laws. It will explain so much and answer many of your questions.

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Hmm, LoMein for Passover-great idea! I never thought about making it, but you sure could Mustang66lady! We do have pasta made from Matzoh meal that appears at Passover.  It's heavy and gummy: it wouldn't do for Lo Me in, but what would work is Spaghetti Squash and "zoodles" or using any of the vegetables permitted! What a great idea for lighter fare! Thanks for the inspiration! It might be a little tricky, but when you cook them just right, spiralized potatoes-white and sweet are magnificent! Instead of soy sauce however, I think I might use a permitted beef or chicken boullion and give it an Asian flare with fresh ginger. I am pretty sure there is a Kosher for Passover soy sauce: I could be very wrong. I will look that up because I would have to order it.

I am excited by this idea! Something new and healthy!

And here is another inspired idea: egg rolls-of a sort....using beaten eggs and a little cake meal and water, you could make crepes and fill them with leftover lo mein! I have no idea that you could fry them: I'm not even sure if you could bend them: they might crack.  This is worth experimenting with!  Are there any cooks out there that want to experiment?

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady. There are non-dairy cheeses available since some people are also lactose intolerant. These can be used w/ meat in lasagna.

Reason meat and dairy products not used together if keeping  Kosher (BTW, I do not) is that you'd be taking milk from the baby animal (like calf) who needs it from its mother. Many of Kosher explanations/rules go back to biblical times.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus, MY BAD! I apologize! I totally forgot what thread I was on: the lo mein recipe-inspired by Mustang66lady, does not belong here. Mea culpa!

(Latin for "My Fault")

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I expected crossover posts...some stories/comments include recipes. My attempt was to create more of a "cookbook format " for Passover on Recipe Forum. Confusing for many and suggest anyone interested in Passover check both threads. You're forgiven @Poodlepet2. S**t happens!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus

@Poodlepet2

Thank both of you ladies (well everyone but not sure they are reading this thread just yet) for answering my many questions.  This has been so very interesting and informative. 

Where I live, it is just a small midwest town about 20 minutes from downtown St. Louis.  At one time, we had a Temple Israel on our side of the river, about another 20 minutes north of us.  I often wanted to stop and find out what was going on but didn't want to intrude. I could certainly understand people feeling uncomfortable or like maybe I was there to judge; I am really just interested in your culture and beliefs.  As I said before, it is the foundation of mine and therefore I feel it is something I should know.   And as some of you have said, Jesus was Jewish as well.  Some of the things said here, I have heard, but either didn't know the meaning of why or have forgotten.  I did have the fortune of working with a Jewish cardiologist once and his wife, who was not Jewish.  She attempted to answer a lot of our questions (I live in an area that is about 50-50 Catholic and Protestant) so there were a lot of questions both ways!  That is when I first heard of "special" dishes that were used for very kosher homes.  The wife (who was also a doctor) really didn't seem to care for her sister in law much; I think it was to some extent jealousy but the SIL was the one who kept the kosher dishes and the wife doctor seemed to look down on her for doing so. 

I was aware of non dairy cheese-have had to use it with our Grandson for awhile, and what I have had, is pretty nasty.  I knew a lot of Jewish people have relaxed a lot of former traditions and I view this just in keeping of the migration-the Old Testament Jews had to make do with what they had and could take.  The Jews are still doing this - making do with what they have and is available.  Our son in law's parents (particularly his mother) do not keep kosher and eat pork with the best of us.  They have moved away from here recently and we really only got to spend about a year getting to know them.  She did spend a lot of her younger years living in St. Louis, which does have a good sized Jewish population. 

But I am rambling so won't take anymore time for now.  I am still exhausted from the houseful of people eating corned beef and cabbage here yesterday.  Kind of happy having some clouds and cold today-I'm ready to rest!