Honored Contributor

Re: On choosing what foods to buy each week or however often,

I changed my shopping habits significantly when gas prices first started climbing, and learned to shop smarter, and less often.   

Because of my food allergies, and the likes of my family, we pretty much stick to our favorite foods; I rarely ever try a new recipe.   Therefore I have long learned what, and how much, to buy to get us thru a couple of months.   Ideally, I only like to go to the grocery store every 2 months.   I do not use a shopping guide; I just know what we need.   

The one thing that really irritates me about shopping is that my husband never buys enough dog food, even when he knows I'm shopping for the next 2 months.  If I can gauge our food needs for 2 months, I think he should be able to figure out how many pounds of dog food we need to buy.     

Honored Contributor

I always do my planning around the grocery store specials.  We eat a lot of fish, chicken, and pork, usually loin cuts because they're more healthy.  I love beef.  If we have something with beef, I'll eat the leftover and fix (or DH grills) a new main item.

We have a freezer and when I make spagetti or vegetable soup, I always freeze quite a bit.

We eat a lot of vegetables and for lunch, fresh fruit.

DH grills most evenings.  Occasionally, I'll do a "blast from the past" with gravy.

Esteemed Contributor

When I had to really budget, I first looked at each stores sales for the week and then I made my list. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I go to the store probably two times a week  - three if Costco counts.  I eat out frequently so I don't really make a menu for the week.  I glance at the grocery store ads to see what is a good price that week.  @IamMrsG - fresh flowers for the living room are a must on my list also.