Honored Contributor

Re: Oatmeal raisen cookies stayed in a ball??

Maybe your baking powder is old / stale?

Respected Contributor

Called for baking soda...Ill have to check to see if there's a date on the box...but I bought new soda and powder a couple months ago...don't really remember when.   Thanks...I'll check.    I'm kinda thinking the batter was just too thick..as some suggested here.   I'll look into some other recipes too.  One thing I'll say  again...the recipe called for 3 cups of oats....Seeing how thick this was getting after ONLY ADDING 2 cups oats, I'm glad I cut it back..or for sure they would've wound up in the garbage.   I'm thinking this is a not so good recipe.   Anyway...they taste good, and are chewy...just ROUND, LOL

Trusted Contributor

@Dazlin

This is the recipe from the Quaker Oats cannister that we have always used and loved.  I don't know if there is a new recipe now -- most everything seems to have changed.  We have always mixed them by hand and never used a mixer.  We usually add a little more cinnamon and nutmeg (just to our taste).

QUAKER'S BEST OATMEAL COOKIES

1‑1/4 cups (2‑1/2 sticks) margarine

3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 egg              

1 teaspoon vanilla                 

1‑1/2 cups all‑purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt (optional)

1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)

3 cups Quaker Oats

(quick or old fashioned, uncooked)

Heat oven to 375 F. Beat margarine and sugars until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add combined flour, baking soda, salt and spices; mix well. Stir in oats. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 9 minutes for a chewy cookie, 10 to 11 minutes for a crisp cookie. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack. Store tightly covered. 4‑1/2 Dozen

Respected Contributor

Almost the same recipe...mine says 1 stick butter and 2 eggs. Thank you!!