Esteemed Contributor

I think Target has them.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Super Contributor

How the heck did CHINA come into this?

Location dedicated to manufacturing Duncan Hines® to be taken over by brand’s owner

CHESTER, Ill. (January 29, 2014)—Gilster-Mary Lee Corporation, a leading private label food manufacturer,today announced it has signed a definitive agreement for the sale of its Centralia, Ill. facility to Pinnacle Foods Inc., the owner of the Duncan Hines® cake mixes and frostings brand. The sale includes the building infrastructure, equipment and related assets.

Gilster-Mary Lee Corp.’s Centralia facility exclusively manufactured Duncan Hines® cake mixes and frostings for more than 15 years under a third party manufacturing agreement. Pinnacle Foods intends to retain the more than 200 jobs at the facility.

“Our Centralia workforce has proven expertise producing Duncan Hines, and we look forward to watching the brand reach its full potential as part of Pinnacle Foods’ supply chain network,” said Don Welge, President of Gilster-Mary Lee Corp. “This will allow Gilster-Mary Lee Corp. to focus more on our private label and food service businesses.”

“Pinnacle Foods looks forward to investing in the future of our Duncan Hines brand through the purchase of the Centralia facility from Gilster-Mary Lee Corp.,” says Tony Fernandez, Executive Vice President and Chief Supply Chain Officer at Pinnacle Foods. “We plan on upgrading current manufacturing equipment and systems to add capacity and capabilities for innovation and future productivity.”

Gilster-Mary Lee Corp. will continue to manufacture select Duncan Hines products at its Steelville, Illinois location. The transaction is expected to close early in the second quarter of 2014.

About Gilster-Mary Lee Corp.

Founded in 1895, Gilster-Mary Lee is a leading Private Label food manufacturer, headquartered in Chester, Illinois. Gilster-Mary Lee produces over 8,000 items in over 500 different private label brands, as well as its own line of Hospitality brand food items. Approximately 4,000 employees work in 15 different manufacturing facilities across four states.

About Pinnacle Foods Inc.

In more than 85 percent of American households, consumers reach for Pinnacle Foods brands. Pinnacle Foods is a Top 1000 Company ranked on Fortune Magazine's 2013 Top 1000 companies list. We are a leading producer, marketer and distributor of high-quality branded food products, which have been trusted household names for decades. Headquartered in Parsippany, NJ, our business employs an average of 4,400 employees. We are a leader in the shelf stable and frozen foods segments and our brands hold the #1 or #2 market position in 10 of the 12 major categories in which they compete. Our Duncan Hines Grocery Division manages brands such as Duncan Hines® baking mixes and frostings, Vlasic® shelf-stable pickles, Mrs. Butterworth's® and Log Cabin® table syrups, Wish-Bone® and Western® salad dressings, Armour® canned meats, Brooks® and Nalley® chili and chili ingredients, Duncan Hines® Comstock® and Wilderness® pie and pastry fruit fillings and Open Pit® barbecue sauces. Our Birds Eye Frozen Division manages brands such as Birds Eye®, Birds Eye Steamfresh®, C&W®, McKenzie's®, and Freshlike® frozen vegetables, Birds Eye Voila!® complete bagged frozen meals, Van de Kamp's® and Mrs. Paul's® frozen prepared seafood, Hungry-Man® frozen dinners and entrées, Aunt Jemima® frozen breakfasts, Lender's® frozen and refrigerated bagels, and Celeste® frozen pizza. Our Specialty Foods Division manages Tim's Cascade Snacks®, Hawaiian® kettle style potato chips, Erin's® popcorn, Snyder of Berlin® and Husman's® snacks in addition to our food service and private label businesses.

Frequent Contributor
On 11/16/2014 expatgal said:

How the heck did CHINA come into this?

Location dedicated to manufacturing Duncan Hines® to be taken over by brand’s owner

CHESTER, Ill. (January 29, 2014)—Gilster-Mary Lee Corporation, a leading private label food manufacturer,today announced it has signed a definitive agreement for the sale of its Centralia, Ill. facility to Pinnacle Foods Inc., the owner of the Duncan Hines® cake mixes and frostings brand. The sale includes the building infrastructure, equipment and related assets.

Gilster-Mary Lee Corp.’s Centralia facility exclusively manufactured Duncan Hines® cake mixes and frostings for more than 15 years under a third party manufacturing agreement. Pinnacle Foods intends to retain the more than 200 jobs at the facility.

“Our Centralia workforce has proven expertise producing Duncan Hines, and we look forward to watching the brand reach its full potential as part of Pinnacle Foods’ supply chain network,” said Don Welge, President of Gilster-Mary Lee Corp. “This will allow Gilster-Mary Lee Corp. to focus more on our private label and food service businesses.”

“Pinnacle Foods looks forward to investing in the future of our Duncan Hines brand through the purchase of the Centralia facility from Gilster-Mary Lee Corp.,” says Tony Fernandez, Executive Vice President and Chief Supply Chain Officer at Pinnacle Foods. “We plan on upgrading current manufacturing equipment and systems to add capacity and capabilities for innovation and future productivity.”

Gilster-Mary Lee Corp. will continue to manufacture select Duncan Hines products at its Steelville, Illinois location. The transaction is expected to close early in the second quarter of 2014.

About Gilster-Mary Lee Corp.

Founded in 1895, Gilster-Mary Lee is a leading Private Label food manufacturer, headquartered in Chester, Illinois. Gilster-Mary Lee produces over 8,000 items in over 500 different private label brands, as well as its own line of Hospitality brand food items. Approximately 4,000 employees work in 15 different manufacturing facilities across four states.

About Pinnacle Foods Inc.

In more than 85 percent of American households, consumers reach for Pinnacle Foods brands. Pinnacle Foods is a Top 1000 Company ranked on Fortune Magazine's 2013 Top 1000 companies list. We are a leading producer, marketer and distributor of high-quality branded food products, which have been trusted household names for decades. Headquartered in Parsippany, NJ, our business employs an average of 4,400 employees. We are a leader in the shelf stable and frozen foods segments and our brands hold the #1 or #2 market position in 10 of the 12 major categories in which they compete. Our Duncan Hines Grocery Division manages brands such as Duncan Hines® baking mixes and frostings, Vlasic® shelf-stable pickles, Mrs. Butterworth's® and Log Cabin® table syrups, Wish-Bone® and Western® salad dressings, Armour® canned meats, Brooks® and Nalley® chili and chili ingredients, Duncan Hines® Comstock® and Wilderness® pie and pastry fruit fillings and Open Pit® barbecue sauces. Our Birds Eye Frozen Division manages brands such as Birds Eye®, Birds Eye Steamfresh®, C&W®, McKenzie's®, and Freshlike® frozen vegetables, Birds Eye Voila!® complete bagged frozen meals, Van de Kamp's® and Mrs. Paul's® frozen prepared seafood, Hungry-Man® frozen dinners and entrées, Aunt Jemima® frozen breakfasts, Lender's® frozen and refrigerated bagels, and Celeste® frozen pizza. Our Specialty Foods Division manages Tim's Cascade Snacks®, Hawaiian® kettle style potato chips, Erin's® popcorn, Snyder of Berlin® and Husman's® snacks in addition to our food service and private label businesses.

Thank You expatgal!

Respected Contributor

FYI..........China is known for knock offs. Dollar stores do carry cheap products for a reason. Just saying....................Buyer beware.

Respected Contributor

China showed up because someone said "Dollar Store" and even though this is a name brand, the fear shows up. I see Bumble Bee, Betty Crocker, Pringles, and Duncan Hines, as well as Swiss Miss and other brands at our dollar store. And I see "Polar Brands" at the grocery store. Polar Brands has fruit products that used to be made in California and now are made in China (apple pie filling, for one.) So it's irrelevant where you are buying your food from and relevant to read the label. Didn't Purina have dog food made with ingredients from China? I also like to eschew Chinese made food products because they have shown a disregard for proper testing and more than a few incidences of cheating on ingredients to meet requirements for protein content, etc. That is intolerable, and how those products are allowed to be imported into the US, I don't know. We were quick enough to ban British meat products like "Bovril" after the BSV (mad cow) problem.

Respected Contributor
On 11/16/2014 Campion said:

China showed up because someone said "Dollar Store" and even though this is a name brand, the fear shows up. I see Bumble Bee, Betty Crocker, Pringles, and Duncan Hines, as well as Swiss Miss and other brands at our dollar store. And I see "Polar Brands" at the grocery store. Polar Brands has fruit products that used to be made in California and now are made in China (apple pie filling, for one.) So it's irrelevant where you are buying your food from and relevant to read the label. Didn't Purina have dog food made with ingredients from China? I also like to eschew Chinese made food products because they have shown a disregard for proper testing and more than a few incidences of cheating on ingredients to meet requirements for protein content, etc. That is intolerable, and how those products are allowed to be imported into the US, I don't know. We were quick enough to ban British meat products like "Bovril" after the BSV (mad cow) problem.

Always important to read labels. Better yet, avoid packaged or processed foodSmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/16/2014 Campion said:

Well stated, Campion!

A few years ago, Mattel toys made in China were recalled due to the factories ignoring US regulations and using lead paint. Those toys ended up in the dollar stores.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Frequent Contributor
berta53...in answer to your question .... I think it would be fun to add 'a drop' of mint flavoring to the green layer of cake. Also, I tend to have candy canes around...I have taken 1 or 2, put them in a baggie and hammered them into little pieces that I sprinkle on top of the cake for decoration. For the Autumn...I would be tempted to add cinnamon..just a dash..and use any candy you may have from Halloween as decoration..I.e. candy corn.
Frequent Contributor
On 11/16/2014 Englishrose said: berta53...in answer to your question .... I think it would be fun to add 'a drop' of mint flavoring to the green layer of cake. Also, I tend to have candy canes around...I have taken 1 or 2, put them in a baggie and hammered them into little pieces that I sprinkle on top of the cake for decoration. For the Autumn...I would be tempted to add cinnamon..just a dash..and use any candy you may have from Halloween as decoration..I.e. candy corn.

What a great idea Englishrose.Thank You!

Contributor

Goodness! The OP said she bought the cake mix at Dollar General. This isn't the same store as Dollar Tree, Everything's a $1.00, etc. Dollar General carries many name brand items. Don't know why some posters got on a tangent about food from China. In any store, you have to watch where your food comes from. I have seen food from China sold in our high end grocery stores.

By the way, berta 53 - I think the cake mixes look fun. I might try one this holiday season!