Honored Contributor

I want to make a casserole that won't be used for 3-4 days. Should I bake it and store it in the refrigerator, so the person can just heat it up? Should I make it and not bake it and leave baking instructions when it is ready to use? Or do I need to freeze it? Thinking about some kind of chicken one. TIA! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I'd make, but not bake it then freeze it if it isn't to be eaten within two days (depending on ingredients, maybe eat it sooner). I would let person know if it had been frozen and by when it should be eaten! I would also leave off any special topping, if any, until the person bakes it!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

Definitely freeze it.     4 days is too long to keep anything fresh (of course, I live in AZ......and everything goes in the freezer).

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I'd bake it and freeze it in single servings.  That way they could defrost what they'd like in the microwave and there isn't any waste.

Honored Contributor

Depending on the ingredients, if you don't cook before freezing it seperates.

Respected Contributor

Do not refrigerate for that long. I think it is best to bake and freeze. If it is a large casserole, such as one baked in a 9x13 pan, you can divide it into a couple of lidded containers for freezing so the recipient doesn't have to thaw the whole thing.