Esteemed Contributor

Need Replacement Recipe for Chicken & Dumplings

I simply cannot locate my chicken and dumplings recipe, so figure it became misplaced during our move last year.

The recipe I'm looking for is one where the chicken cooks in a dutch oven and during the last phase, the dumplings are made, then spooned on top of the chicken, followed by placing the lid on the dutch oven.

Thanks for your delicious help in advance! ~Rebecca

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Replacement Recipe for Chicken & Dumplings

We use Bisquick for ours--it makes the puffy biscuit type of dumpling and we LOVE them. The recipe is on the side of the big boxes. We drop them in by tablespoonfuls and leave a little area between dumplings--though you can pack plenty of them in a pot. We cook them 13 minutes with the lid off and 13 with the lid on to make sure both sides cook.

Sometimes I use chicken broth as part of the liquid, sometimes I stir some herbs in the dumplings! In any case, they are wonderful! Makes me want some.

Sometimes if I'm making a big batch I'll do a lot of broth and throw in a little cream of chicken soup or mushroom soup straight out of the can to thicken it a little. But some people are terrified of canned soup, so that's ok too!

Honored Contributor

I made Ree Drummond's recipe today. The dumplings were excellent:

1 !/2 c. all purpose flour

1/2 c. yellow corn meal

1 tsp. kosher salt

1 heaping tablespoon baking powder

1 1/2 c. half-n-half (I only needed a cup.)

The recipe called for spooning the batter into the simmering liquid and partially covering the pot while they cooked for 15 minutes.

Wait 10 minutes before serving.

Here's the entire recipe if you're interested.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Sooner and house_cat,

Thanks to both of you for your recipes.

After having looked at Ree's recipe and the accompanying photos, I don't believe my recipe was that involved, nor did the dumplings have cornmeal in them.

I think what I'm going to do is give each one a go. Though when it gets to Ree's recipe, I'm going to make a bit of a different dumpling, as my naturopath doesn't want me eating corn products right now.

Thanks, again!