Honored Contributor

Re: Meatballs - how do you fix them?

On 3/1/2015 colliegirls said:

I buy them from Trader Joe's....delish!

I didn't know they had meatballs...thanks for the suggestion!

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/1/2015 terrier3 said:
On 3/1/2015 colliegirls said:

I buy them from Trader Joe's....delish!

I didn't know they had meatballs...thanks for the suggestion!

Yes, in the frozen food department. I often get the Italian ones for my homemade spaghetti. They are very good.

Honored Contributor

neutering

Esteemed Contributor

I buy them ready-made from Publix. The brand is "Cooked Perfect" (Italian Style). They are the best of all the already cooked meatballs. They have the grill marks already on them and I just put them in my toaster oven until they are hot. This brand has a lot of flavor but it has to be Italian Style. The others are tasteless IMO..... I think the next best is Celentino (hope I remembered that right).......

I gave up home-cooking a lot of things, as they were coming out with all this pre-cooked stuff and it's so much easier. I cooked a lot in all the early years with a husband and 5 boys. It's time to rest now and let everyone else do the cooking for me.Smile

Just the other day, we had meatball and sausage sub sandwiches with bruschetta and provolone cheese. Excellent. Oh, Johnsonville (the people who also make bratwurst) now has already sliced, cooked Italian style sausage. Comes in a 2 lb. zip lock bag..... LOL Less than a minute in the microwave just to heat up.... They are greasy, so I put them on a paper towel on top of a paper plate.....{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

RECIPE – MEATBALLS, MOM’S SPICY

1 lb. ground beef

½ cup milk

1 egg, slightly beaten

½ cup fine dry bread crumbs

2 tbsp. finely minced onion

1/8 teas. ground cloves

1/8 teas. ground allspice

1 teas. garlic salt

1 teas. parsley

2 cups ketchup

½ cup brown sugar

2 tbsps. Worcestershire sauce

1 clove garlic, finely minced (optional)

Directions:

In large bowl, combine beef, milk, egg, bread crumbs, onion, cloves, allspice, garlic salt and parsley; mix thoroughly. Shape into 1” balls and place on lightly greased shallow baking pans. (See option below.) Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes (or broil for 10 to 12 minutes).

While meatballs are baking, combine ketchup, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and garlic in a medium saucepan; heat until sauce is bubbling and sugar has dissolved. Place baked meatballs in Crockpot; pour sauce over them. Heat together for at least 1 hour before serving. Serve hot. Makes 40 meatballs.

Option: Add l stalk celery and ½ cup oatmeal to beef. After shaping meatballs, brown in large pan on stove. Then place in Crockpot and pour sauce over them. Cook on high for 1 hour; turn to low setting and continue to cook for another 3 hours. Double recipe if desired.

~~~~~~ This is a great recipe for an afternoon or evening buffet. I often use the recipe when serving a large group. It's easy to make ahead of time and the longer they have to absorb the sauce, the better they become.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

These all sound so good!

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for swedish type meatballs or anything not in a red gravy sauce? Thanks in advance!

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

AnikaBrody: I cannot imagine getting 40 meatballs out of one pound of meat.

Contributor

Once you have the bread crumbs, onions and spices etc mixed together the mix will have doubled in size and 1 inch meatballs are pretty small so 40 is feasible I guess.