Contributor

When I use mayonnaise as an ingredient in a baked casserole, it always seems to curdle.  The taste of the dish is ok, but it's appearance isn't appetizing.  What am I doing wrong?

my latest attempt was a crab and shrimp casserole that included a cup of mayo.  

Esteemed Contributor

Baked casserole dishes I've made with Mayo - recipe calls for mixing Mayo and Cream of Mushroom soup together and then adding spices - a vegetable (broccoli or cauliflower) and then baking.  Are you using anything in or with the Mayo?   Mine comes out pretty with the browned top.

Super Contributor

I always use Kraft Miracle Whip in place of the mayo in a recipe.  Turns out great and I like the taste much better!

Honored Contributor

I can't stand Miracle Whip, it's too sweet, IMO.

If your mayo is curdlling in a casserole, you're not mixing it in with the other ingredients enough.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Kokob  Did the recipe call for lemon juice or vinegar?  As acids they could cause milk or cream to curdle. 

Miracle Whip is a starch based dressing whereas mayo is oil based.  Often recipes calling for mayo are depending on the oil as needed fat in the recipe so substituting Miracle Whip may not always work successfully. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Hi Kokob,  I had a baked dip recipe once that included mayo.  It stipulated to not use low fat or generic mayos. I think it said to use Hellman's.  What brand did you use?  Here is the recipe (to the best of my memory).  Equal parts Hellman's full fat mayo, grated parmesan, and shredded mozzarella.  Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly at 350. Serve with large Frito's. Yum!