Respected Contributor

Mandarin Orange Pecan Salad w/ Orange Cashew Chicken Stir-Fry

[ Edited ]

We had family members over for dinner this evening.  One member is dieting and two others are young and finicky children.  This menu, with a Banana Sour Cream Cake (will post separately) for dessert, seemed to satisfy everyone.  

For the children, I kept some of the main elements, i.e., chicken, broccoli, rice and (raw) red pepper slices separate, knowing full well one look at the Hoisin-OJ sauce would turn them off.  Although he wouldn't touch the oranges or pecans, one of the children liked the salad dressing so much, he asked for seconds, then asked to take the remaining dressing home with him! 

Mandarin Orange and Pecan Salad
QVC Recipe Swap | by PamelaSue72 on 10/23/2014

Dressing: (You can make this ahead. Keep it chilled, but bring back almost to room temperature before tossing with salad.)

2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley
3-4 dashes Tabasco sauce

Salad:
Greens of your choice (enough for about 8 people)
1/3 cup chopped scallions
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 can mandarin oranges, drained
1/2 cup chopped sugared pecans

For pecans: Heat small skillet over medium heat. Add pecans and about 1 tablespoon sugar. Stir and watch closely until sugar begins to melt. Turn down heat and continue to stir until sugar is completely melted. Watch carefully; they can burn very quickly. Remove from heat and cool completely. (You can make these ahead too; keep tightly covered at room temp.)

For salad dressing: Whisk sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper, and Tabasco together until the sugar and salt completely dissolve (I usually let it sit about 20 minutes at this point to give them time to dissolve). Whisk in oil.

Combine all of the salad ingredients. Whisk dressing and toss well with salad.

Mrs. G's note:  I found the dressing just a bit oily, so used a light hand when adding to the greens.  Next time, I will cut back some on the oil.

_________

With multiple pans going, this next recipe might seem and/or feel a bit overwhelming the first time.  I have found that blanching the broccoli and sautéing the chicken can be done in advance.  As always, however, doing all the slicing and measuring before ever putting a pan to heat is key.

Orange Cashew Chicken Stir-Fry

Rachael Ray  | aired on March 8, 2007

3 Tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
3 1/4 cups chicken stock, divided
1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
Salt and black pepper
1 16-ounce bag of broccoli florets
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 6 to 8 ounces each, cut into large bite-size pieces
1 large onion, thinly sliced
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1 5-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 cup roasted, unsalted cashews
1/4 cup cilantro or parsley leaves, about a handful, chopped

To a sauce pot over medium-high heat, add 1 turn of the pan of vegetable oil to a sauce pot, about 1 Tablespoon. Once hot, add jasmine rice, a little salt and pepper, and stir to coat in the oil. Add 2 3/4 cups chicken stock, bring up to a bubble then place a lid on the pot and turn heat down to medium. Cook according to package directions, about 18 minutes.

As the stock for the rice is coming up to a simmer, blanch the broccoli: Place a medium skillet filled with one inch of water over high heat with a tight fitting lid. Bring up to a boil, add some salt and the broccoli florets then cover and cook for 2 minutes. Drain the broccoli and reserve.

As the broccoli starts working, start the chicken: Place a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of vegetable oil, about 2 tablespoons. When the oil ripples, add the chicken, spreading it out in an even layer. Let it completely brown up on one side, you will have to resist the urge to stir it for about 2-3 minutes. Give the skillet a shake, stir and continue to cook and brown the chicken for 5 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet to a plate and reserve.

Return the skillet to the heat, add 1 more turn of the pan of vegetable oil, about a tablespoon. Once oil ripples, add onion, garlic, red bell pepper, red pepper flakes, ground coriander and some salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes.

In a small bowl combine the orange juice and hoisin sauce. Add the mixture to the skillet with the veggies along with the sliced water chestnuts and the reserved chicken. Stir to combine and add in the remaining 1/2 cup of chicken stock and the blanched broccoli florets. Cook the veggies and chicken together for about 2 minutes, or until everything is nicely coated and cooked through. Add the cashews and the cilantro or parsley and remove from heat.

Remove the lid from the rice pot and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve orange-cashew-chicken with a spoonful of rice on top of each portion.

Yields 4 servings

Wine:  We had a white blend, but Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio would also be good.

Edited to provide link to cake recipe.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Mandarin Orange Pecan Salad w/ Orange Cashew Chicken Stir-Fry

@IamMrsG, thank you for this yummy sounding recipe ... I'm sure that it is worth all the effort one puts into creating this master-piece for the family (& guests).  I know my family will want me to make this very soon.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the recipe.  It sounds good and appears to be gluten free.  Yummm

Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG

Thank you for your recipes!  I love coriander with chicken!

You are the veritable Forum Chef! Smiley Happy