Honored Contributor

First, this looks delicious.

Is gravy making a stress at Thanksgiving? Since the "girls" are in the kitchen, someone here gets my professional whisk and we talk that hour while they tale turns stirring and we share family history. That's how my lovely DIN, our love, learned our son's history! I've learned things that would have never been uncovered! I wouldn't give that time up for anything! The guys are on "kid duty!". It's almost better than the turkey...well. almost!

Frequent Contributor

Best gravy ever! And very easy to incorporate the pan drippings into this gravy. The best of both worlds!

Honored Contributor
On 11/24/2014 ECBG said:

Is gravy making a stress at Thanksgiving? Since the "girls" are in the kitchen, someone here gets my professional whisk and we talk that hour while they tale turns stirring and we share family history. That's how my lovely DIN, our love, learned our son's history! I've learned things that would have never been uncovered! I wouldn't give that time up for anything! The guys are on "kid duty!". It's almost better than the turkey...well. almost!

I think it can be for those of us who don't have any helpers. Gravy is generally made at the last minute so that it goes out fresh and hot. But if you are the only one cooking, you have several things being done at this time if you are making all fresh dishes.

I have a bit of difficulty with the last minute stuff because I only have two arms and neither of them work all that well anymore. So some stuff get short-cutted a little bit. Not so far as to using a crock pot or using processed products. But it is abundantly helpful to be able to do some things ahead of time.

I just got my groceries this morning, including the turkey and pretty much everything else, and I'm already trying to do a lot of prep and clearing areas I need type of stuff. I'm happy to do it, but I have to say that I'm glad when it's over.

Frequent Contributor

ECBG..to me,it's nice to have one last thing to worry about at the last minute. I usually don't have anyone helping me in the kitchen.

Honored Contributor

Take 1 can cream of chicken soup...add one envelope dry turkey gravy mix; add enough broth from the turkey to thin to desired consistency.....I sometimes add a bit of fresh herbs for color....my family loves this gravy

Honored Contributor
On 11/24/2014 chickenbutt said:
On 11/24/2014 ECBG said:

I think it can be for those of us who don't have any helpers. Gravy is generally made at the last minute so that it goes out fresh and hot. But if you are the only one cooking, you have several things being done at this time if you are making all fresh dishes.

I have a bit of difficulty with the last minute stuff because I only have two arms and neither of them work all that well anymore. So some stuff get short-cutted a little bit. Not so far as to using a crock pot or using processed products. But it is abundantly helpful to be able to do some things ahead of time.

I just got my groceries this morning, including the turkey and pretty much everything else, and I'm already trying to do a lot of prep and clearing areas I need type of stuff. I'm happy to do it, but I have to say that I'm glad when it's over.

I'm so sorry. When they come, don't they say "what can I do to help?". I do all the cooking. My aunt has passed away at 95, so that leaves DIL and I as "the girls", but even as I was growing up, this is what I saw with the women.

Respected Contributor
On 11/24/2014 ECBG said:

...Is gravy making a stress at Thanksgiving?

Chickenbutt, you described my situation exactly. I am the only cook, so by the end of the process, it's easy to start feeling like that old Ed Sullivan act where the guy works to keep plates from falling off spinning poles. Also, by the time it's time to make the gravy, there is little-to-no countertop or stovetop space left. Add to the scenario, too, that once that turkey comes out of the oven, the aroma draws everybody to the kitchen, wanting to know, "How soon?"

This year, I am making as much in advance as possible -- even contemplating roasting the turkey the night before to carve and rewarm in BeeBee's gravy on Thursday.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Mrs G - Oh my goodness, making the turkey the day before is one of the things that has helped me THE most of all of it, in my 3 day cooking schedule.

Tuesday I make my brine, let it cool, then Tuesday night I put it in the bag/bucket. Wednesday morning I get it out, rinse it, pat it dry and put it in the roasting pan. Then I hit it with some dry rub and whatever, and fill the cavity with herbs and aromatics. I roast it on Wednesday and before Wednesday evening I have carved the whole thing.

For me, that was golden! One of the worst things for me, after all the cooking and then trying to eat a little bit was knowing that I still had to get that turkey all carved out and the meat stored, carcass dumped, etc.

Now, I don't have to deal with that after eating. When I carve it on Wednesday I go ahead and set up a nice selection in one casserole and seal that up and put it in the refrigerator. Then, on Thursday, toward the end of cooking I get it in the oven to warm back up with a little stock for moisture.

I cannot tell you how much better this has made the holiday for me!!

Respected Contributor

Mrs G - Oh my goodness, making the turkey the day before is one of the things that has helped me THE most of all of it, in my 3 day cooking schedule.

Tuesday I make my brine, let it cool, then Tuesday night I put it in the bag/bucket. Wednesday morning I get it out, rinse it, pat it dry and put it in the roasting pan. Then I hit it with some dry rub and whatever, and fill the cavity with herbs and aromatics. I roast it on Wednesday and before Wednesday evening I have carved the whole thing.

For me, that was golden! One of the worst things for me, after all the cooking and then trying to eat a little bit was knowing that I still had to get that turkey all carved out and the meat stored, carcass dumped, etc.

Now, I don't have to deal with that after eating. When I carve it on Wednesday I go ahead and set up a nice selection in one casserole and seal that up and put it in the refrigerator. Then, on Thursday, toward the end of cooking I get it in the oven to warm back up with a little stock for moisture.

I cannot tell you how much better this has made the holiday for me!!

That cinched it! Thank you so much, Chickenbutt, for your input. By doing so much in advance, another huge bonus will be a much easier clean-up after dinner.

During my time on QVC's Recipe Swap, I have adopted two women as personal kitchen mentors -- Chickenbutt and Beebee2. This seems like an appropriate time to thank you both for your generous sharing of recipes and advice. You both are obviously knowledgeable cooks and have always been willing to help wherever you could. Thank you, Ladies.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Thank You, Mrs G!

You will be so happy when you do the turkey the day before! You can take your time - let it rest for as long as you want and no big rush to get it on the table. Just make up one batch that will get warmed the next day and then the rest can go into another container, or however you would end up doing it on Thursday anyway.

When you have to do the work alone, I cannot rave this part of it enough because not only do you not have that last minute rush of carving but you don't have to think about it sitting in there, while you try to relax and eat, and then you're dog-tired and have to carve it out. I would never leave the turkey on the carcass longer than that, but I know some folks might. I'm more food-neurotic than most. Smiley Happy

Ok, but the other best part - You get the first shot at the crispy skin! ha! My husband is at work on Wednesday so I have uninterrupted time to get it done. I work best when nobody's in the wings bugging me.

ETA - Yeah, that really does reduce the amount of clean up for Thursday! I am basically a 'clean as you go' sort of cook. But all the last minute stuff - you end up with a lot more clean up that you just cannot do while you're finishing it off.