Esteemed Contributor

We're having a bring a dish brunch at work this morning for the few of us who are working (I'm on deadline or I'd be at home!). So I thought I'd make mac and cheese as most tend to bring sweet rather than savory.

Looked up Martha Stewart, swung by Whole Foods on the way home for supplies: my 3-qt dish of mac and cheese ended up costing $42.56. Man, that cheese adds up! And, I bought a new grater and with the first pass of cheese, ripped up my thumb. Sigh. I'm so not a cook.

I must say that while it took every pan and bowl in the house, it does look really yummy. Of course if you pour a sauce of 1.5 lbs of cheese, 1 stick of butter, 5 cups of whole milk, 6 slices of bread swirled into crumbs and drenched in more butter along with assorted spices over cardboard, it's bound to turn out well.

Here's the recipe: anyone have one that's simper to share?

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Regular Contributor

Gardenla--you will be everybody's  best buddy today. I like mac and cheese recipes with more than one type of cheese, and Gruyere in the mix is the best. Enjoy the compliments. jj

Trusted Contributor

Enjoy!

Next time you get a craving for Mac & Cheese give this delicious recipe a try – it may not be simpler but it is outstanding!

Patti LaBelle's "Over The Rainbow" Mac & Cheese Recipe

Serves 8

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 lb. macaroni

8 tablespoons butter

1 tablespoon butter

1/2 cup muenster cheese, shredded

1/2 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded

1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded

2 cups half-and-half

8 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt

1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Lightly butter a deep 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
3. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a rapid boil.
4. Add macaroni and the 1 Tb. oil.
5. Cook for 7 minutes, or until somewhat tender.
6. Drain well, and return to the pot.
7. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt 8 Tb. of the butter.
8. Stir into macaroni.
9. In a large bowl, combine all of the shredded cheeses.
10. To the macaroni, add 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheeses, half and half, the cubed cheese and the eggs, and the seasoned salt and pepper.
11. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, and top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
12. Dot with remaining 1 Tb. of the butter.
13. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and bubbly. Serve hot.

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/patti-labelles-macaroni-and-cheese-17186?oc=linkback

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

Oh Yum!!! Can I have a bite? LOL!!! I love the mac n' cheese recipe for the Masterbuilt smoker. It can also be cooked in the oven. It's so yummy.

Four-Cheese Smoked Mac 'n' Cheese

Ingredients
1 (16-ounce) package elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, cut into large chunks
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups (8 ounces) extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups (8 ounces) Gouda cheese, shredded
1 cup (4 ounces) Parmesan cheese, shredded

Directions
Load the wood tray with one small handful of wood chips and preheat the smoker to 225 degrees F.

Cook pasta according to package directions. In a medium saucepan, melt butter, and whisk flour into the butter. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, until sauce is bubbly and thick. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes until thickened. Stir in cream cheese until mixture is smooth. Add salt and pepper.

In a large bowl, combine 1 cup Cheddar, 1 cup Gouda cheese, Parmesan cheese, pasta, and cream sauce. Spoon mixture into an 11 x 9-1/2-inch aluminum roasting pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese and Gouda cheese.

Place in smoker and cook 1 hours at 225 degrees F, until brown, bubbly and delicious.

You can also cook this in the oven it just won't have the smoked taste.
Esteemed Contributor

Well, it was a huge hit and gone in a flash. Lots of yummy sighs.

I'll surely give other recipes a try; it would be lovely to have one mastered and at the ready for such events!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Trusted Contributor

Re: Mac and Cheese recipe?

[ Edited ]

gardensla wrote:

I'll surely give other recipes a try; it would be lovely to have one mastered and at the ready for such events!

I'll bet it was!!!

I know the recipe you speak of but I've never made it and I'm drooling over here "on the other side." Wish you'd have save me a taste. :-)

Respected Contributor

Re: Mac and Cheese recipe?

[ Edited ]

@gardensla wrote:

@gardensla   Congratulations!  You've just become the official Mac 'N Cheese Lady of the office.  Be prepared to be asked for it at every future office function.  Woman Happy

Happy Thanksgiving!

Typos  grrrr

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

Hello Gardensia can you share the recipe you used?

Esteemed Contributor

@kitty4me

Here you go: LINK

I thought as the cheese was salty I'd cut the salt to 1tsp, but upon tasting it really needed more salt. Go with the full recommended 2 tsp. 

INGREDIENTS

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter plus more for dish
6 slices good white bread crusts removed, torn into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces
5 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
4 1/2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese (about 18 ounces)
2 cups grated Gruyere cheese (about 8 ounces) or 1 1/4 cups grated Pecorino Romano cheese (about 5 ounces)
1 pound elbow macaroni

DIRECTIONS

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place bread in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into bowl with bread, and toss. Set breadcrumbs aside.

In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, whisking, 1 minute.

While whisking, slowly pour in hot milk. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.

Remove pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar cheese, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyere or 1 cup Pecorino Romano; set cheese sauce aside.

Fill a large saucepan with water; bring to a boil. Add macaroni; cook 2 to 3 minutes less than manufacturer's directions, until the outside of pasta is cooked and the inside is underdone. (Different brands of macaroni cook at different rates; be sure to read the instructions.) Transfer macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce

Pour mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyere or 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano, and breadcrumbs over top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool 5 minutes; serve hot.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat