Regular Contributor

Re: MARCH 2017 RECIPE EXCHANGE GAME

This is another one I found on margaretsmorsels. blogspot.com.  My whole family loves this dish.  @GenXmuse, everytime I see your name, I get hungry for jelly beans!

Crock-Pot Chicken a la King
6 Servings

1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of chicken soup (undiluted)*
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. pepper
dash of cayenne pepper
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1 celery rib, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green pepper (I use frozen)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen peas, thawed
2 Tbsp. diced pimentos, drained
hot cooked rice

Combine the first four ingredients in a crock-pot until smooth. Stir in the chicken, celery, green pepper and onion. Cover and cook on low for 7 1/2 hours. Stir in peas and pimentos. Cook 30 minutes longer until heated through. Serve over rice.

*If using 98% fat-free soup, add one teaspoon of salt to the mixture.

Next Ingredient:  Pineapple juice

Honored Contributor

@Bluffbaker Lol!  Well, I always have some on hand-so, stop on by!

NEXT INGREDIENT: pineapple juice

Super Contributor

Lemon-Lime Punch Recipe

This frothy refresher topped with lime sherbet is a longtime family favorite and the best punch I’ve ever had. It’s fast, festive and easy to mix up for a variety of occasions. —

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. + chilling YIELD:24 servings Ingredients

• 2 quarts water
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 envelopes unsweetened lemon-lime soft drink mix
  • 1 can (46 ounces) unsweetened pineapple juice
  • 1 liter ginger ale, chilled
  • 1 quart lime sherbet

Directions

• 1. In a punch bowl, combine the water, sugar and soft drink mix; stir until dissolved. Stir in pineapple juice. Refrigerate until chilled. Just before serving, stir in ginger ale and top with scoops of sherbet. Yield: 6 quarts.
Nutritional Facts

1 cup: 146 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 19mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein.

Next Ingredient:  Udon noodles

Super Contributor

Well, it didn't print the "Next Ingredient" which is:

UDON NOODLES

Honored Contributor

Sesame Udon Noodles

Prep
20 m
Cook
3 m
Ready In
23 minutes 

Ingredients
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/4 cup peanut oil
3 tablespoons sesame oil
1 dash hot pepper sauce

1/2 green bell pepper, julienned
1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
1/2 yellow bell pepper, julienned
4 green onions, minced
2 cups diagonally sliced snap peas
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
1 (7 ounce) package fresh udon noodles

Directions
In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, peanut oil, sesame oil and hot pepper sauce. Close the lid, and shake vigorously to blend. Set aside to let the flavors blend.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add udon noodles, and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain, and place in a serving bowl.

In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the green, red, and yellow peppers with green onion and peas. Heat in the microwave until warm, but still crisp.

Add to the noodles in the bowl, and pour the dressing over all. Toss to coat everything in dressing, then sprinkle toasted sesame seeds over the top.

Easy Peasy!

NEXT INGREDIENT: Sugar Snap Peas

Valued Contributor

I love using sugar snap peas for appetizers.  I stuff them with crabmeat salad,  herbed cream cheese, salmon and cream cheese... yes..just about everything and cream cheeseSmiley Happy  This recipe from Rosemary and the Goat website is delicious and super easy!

sugar snap.JPG

Honey Pecan Stuffed Snow Peas (Sugar Snap Peas)

1 c. pecans, chopped fine
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
1/4-1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1-8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
4 tsp. honey mustard
2 tsp. brown sugar
salt to taste
dash of cayenne pepper to taste
50-75 Sugar Snap Peas

You can roast the pecans in the oven or in the microwave, until light brown.  Put the melted butter with the pecan pieces and sprinkle with the salt and cayenne pepper. In microwave they will need about 2 minutes, in oven at 300° about 5-10 minutes.

Blanch the Sugar Snap Peas in boiling water for about 20 seconds. Drain and rinse in cold water and then put in ice water for a couple of minutes to stop cooking process.  Lay out on paper towels to dry.

Using a small paring knife, snip the end off and remove strings. Use the tip of the knife to slit the pods open. Be careful not to tear the pods.

Mix the cream cheese, honey mustard, brown sugar, salt and cayenne together in your electric mixer bowl. Beat until creamy and you have no lumps. Put this mixture in a decorating bag and pipe a small amount in each pea pod. You do now want them full of the cheese mixture because I think it is just too much cream cheese and you want to leave room for the nuts.

When you are finishing piping about 10-20 of  your peas, sprinkle some of the roasted pecans onto the cheese mixture and give them a little press. You can start lining these up on your serving dish. When you have finished filling all of them and have them on your tray,  cover with plastic wrap.

I think these are best done either the day of the party or one day before party.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  Gosh...I can never have enough good potato recipes......POTATOES!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

This recipe goes back to 1950's.....from a nice lady in my neighborhood who passed it to my mother....then to me.

POTATO-Corn Casserole

6 medium POTATOES

1 can Cream-Style Corn

1 small can sliced mushrooms

1/2 pkg. grated Cheddar Cheese

3/4 cup of milk

Cook POTATOES until almost done (they will cook more in oven).

Let cool; then slice POTATOES and add corn, mushrooms, cheese and milk.  Mix well adding a little salt, pepper and minced onion.

Put in a greased (or sprayed) 2 quart baking dish.  Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered,  for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until heated through.  

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... PEANUTS

Honored Contributor

Crispy Potato Salad With Chiles, Celery, And Peanuts

Thai seasonings add punch to this vibrant and herby salad; peanuts and celery keep it crunchy.

Ingredients
6 SERVINGS
2 pounds baby fingerling potatoes, sliced crosswise ¾ inch thick
Kosher salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 red chiles (such as serrano or Holland), thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, finely grated
½ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
2 teaspoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated peeled ginger
½ cup unsalted, roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
2 celery stalks, sliced in half lengthwise, thinly sliced on a diagonal, plus ½ cup celery leaves
1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
½ cup torn mint leaves

Preparation
Place potatoes in a large pot and pour in cold water to cover; season with salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until tender, 10–15 minutes. Drain; let cool.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Cook potatoes, tossing occasionally, until golden brown and crisp, 8–10 minutes; season with salt.

Meanwhile, bring chiles, garlic, vinegar, brown sugar, and ginger to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes.

Toss potatoes, warm vinegar mixture, and peanuts in a large bowl; let cool slightly. Add celery, celery leaves, cilantro, and mint and toss again to combine. Taste and season with salt if needed.

IMG_3178.JPG

NEXT INGREDIENT: Yellow squash 

Valued Contributor

My friend makes fabulous sautéed yellow squash.   When summer comes around, and yellow squash is in my garden, I will ask her to come over for dinner and have her cook the squash.  

Her secret is not how she cooks it... sautéed in butter with onions... but how she cuts it.  She puts the squash on its side and cuts one Inch, 1/4 thick pieces on an angle.  She keeps turning the squash, never including the seeds to her slices, as if she is whittling the lead on a pencil.  

Here is a recipe I want to try, but have not.  The author, Elizabeth Passarella, says it is a winner and not to think too much of the brown sugar.  It uses my old fashioned way of cutting squash😀

Yellow Squash and Onions with Brown Sugar

Serves 2
2 medium yellow squash
1 medium yellow onion
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar

Slice the squash into 1/2-inch rounds, cutting larger rounds in half. You should end up with roughly 2 cups of cut squash. Cut the onions into similar-sized slices.

Add the butter to a wide saucepan that has a lid, and heat over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the onions and cook until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add squash, and season with salt and pepper. Mix in the brown sugar. Stir until the vegetables are coated, then cover and cook for about 20 minutes, until squash is very soft.

Remove the cover and continue to cook for about 8 minutes, just to give the juices a chance to evaporate slightly. There will be some liquid in the pan, but it should be thicker than water, almost like a glaze. Season with more salt and pepper, if needed, and serve immediately.

Next ingredient:  ground beef

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hamburger Stroganoff    Serves 4

1 pound lean ground beef, browned and drained

1 Knorr beef boullion cube

1 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce (we used reduced sodium version)

1 small can sliced mushrooms, about 1/2 Cup

1 small onion, finely chopped

1 teaspoon olive oil

1 package egg noodles, cooked as directed and drained

1/4 Cup Marsala wine (or other dry Sherry), optional

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried dillweed

1/4 teaspoon white pepper

1/2 Cup sour cream or lowfat plain yogurt

Saute onions over medium heat with oil until limp. If using fresh sliced mushrooms add them in large chicken fryer the last few minutes of cooking. Stir in drained lean ground beef, Worchestershire sauce and beef boullion cube plus 1 1/4 Cups warm water. Simmer 15 minutes. Add white pepper, wine and dillweed. Taste seasonings.

Remove from heat, Stir in sour cream or yogurt and serve over prepared egg noodles. May substitute rice for noodles. Thicken sauce with 1 to 2 teaspoons Wondra flour if too thin.

Next ingredient is BLUEBERRIES