Super Contributor

Re: MARCH 2014 RECIPE GAME..........SO FORWARD ""MARCH""

Sabatini's Pickled Red Onion Rings

These are delicious as a salad, sandwich, or taco topper!

boiling water - optional, see note below
1 large red onion
1/2 c apple cider vinegar, or red wine vinegar
1/2 c cold water
1 1/2 t kosher salt; less if using regular table salt
1 T sugar

Boil some water, thinly slice the red onion, and place the sliced onions in a bowl. Pour boiling water over them, count to 10, and drain in a colander.

Whisk vinegar, cold water, sugar and salt together until sugar and salt are dissolved. Add the onions, toss to coat and let sit at room temperature for one hour.

It's really not necessary to first blanch the onions in boiling water, but it guarantees there'll be less of an oniony 'bite', if that bothers you. Otherwise, skip that step.

Sabatini @ qvc recipe swap

Next ingredient: yellow ballpark mustard

Esteemed Contributor

Shepherd’s Pie

Ingredients:

For the mashed potatoes:

2 pounds russet potatoes
1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
Salt and white pepper to taste

For the filling and pie:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large sweet
onion, diced
carrots, peeled and diced
ground lamb or 1 pound ground beef (2 lbs)
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 cups chicken or beef broth
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed ??
1 cup fresh or frozen English peas, thawed

1 can mushrooms
Salt and pepper to taste

2 tablespoons unsalted butter for top of potatoes
Sweet paprika for dusting

Directions

To make the mashed potatoes: Peel the potatoes and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place in a large pot and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, uncover, decrease the heat to medium and simmer until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain the potatoes and set aside.

Place the pot back on the stove over medium-low heat. Add the cream and butter and stir until butter has melted. Return potatoes to the pot and mash until smooth, incorporating the cream and butter as you go. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.

To make the pie: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Prepare the filling: Pour the oil into a 12-inch cast iron skillet or oven safe frying pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrots and sauté just until they begin to get tender, about 5 minutes. Add the meat and cook until browned, breaking it up as it cooks. Stir in ketchup, broth and Worcestershire sauce, and bring to a simmer. Sprinkle in the flour and mix well. Continue to simmer gently over medium-low heat until the sauce is thickened slightly, about 10 to 12 minutes.

Add the corn and peas to the meat mixture and stir until combined. Season filling with salt and pepper to taste. Top with the mashed potatoes, starting around the edges to create a seal to prevent the mixture from bubbling up. (Good luck with that!) Smooth the potatoes with a spatula as best you can. Dot the potatoes with bits of butter and dust with paprika.

Place skillet on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake on the middle rack of the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly and the potatoes have browned. Remove and cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.

Next ingredient: Boiled eggs

Super Contributor

Italian Meat Loaf - Laura Vitale

ETA: next ingredient is parsnips

Super Contributor

I seem to stop this game in its tracks. Should I pick a different ingredient?

Esteemed Contributor

It's not you, Housecat! Sometimes the people who play this game are just busy. Just wait a little while, you'll get another recipe! BTW I have never eaten a parsnip, turnip, yes, not a parsnip!

Super Contributor

On 3/2/2014 Zhills said:

It's not you, Housecat! Sometimes the people who play this game are just busy. Just wait a little while, you'll get another recipe! BTW I have never eaten a parsnip, turnip, yes, not a parsnip!

I'm sorry. I'm a patient person.. I can wait, lol… it just seems that the thread moves right along until I get ahold of it. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

I had never used parsnips until the PW beef stew recipe I made yesterday. My friends on FB couldn't believe that I'd never cooked with them before, since I cook A LOT!

I thought some of you might have good ideas for the ones I have left over.

Esteemed Contributor

Skillet Roasted Parsnips and Carrots

Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound parsnips (peeled and cut on the diagonal into 3/4-inch pieces, about 2-1/2 cups — see note)
1 pound carrots (peeled and cut on the diagonal into 3/4-inch pieces, about 2-1/2 cups — see note)
1/4 cup fresh tangerine or orange juice
1/2 cup hot water
2 teaspoons mild honey (such as tupelo)
2 teaspoons Sugar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Place the olive oil in a large skillet and heat it over medium-high heat. When hot, add the parsnips and carrots, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables turn golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the tangerine juice, hot water, and honey in a small bowl, and stir to dissolve the honey.

Add the juice mixture to the skillet and bring to the start of a simmer. Then reduce the heat to medium, cover the skillet, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are almost tender, about 10 minutes.

Remove the cover, raise the heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes.

Sprinkle the sugar over the vegetables and cook until they’re glazed and caramelized, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley, and season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Transfer to a warm platter, and serve hot.

Note: To ensure even cooking, select parsnips and carrots that are the same diameter, if possible. Halve or quarter the thicker parts so that all the pieces are similar in size. If the parsnips are more than an inch wide at the top, remove and discard the tough core.

Feel free to experiment with other root vegetables, juices, sweeteners and herbs to vary the results. For example, baby turnips and rutabagas are delicious cooked in this manner with apple cider, a splash of maple syrup and a sprinkling of fresh thyme.

Next ingredient: yellow ballpark mustard

Super Contributor

Slow Cooker Pork Tenderloin

2 pound Pork Tenderloin (or 2 (1 lb.) tenderloins
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp. yellow ballpark mustard
2 to 3 tbsp. real maple syrup
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. diced dried onions
1-1/2 tbsp. garlic salt or powder

Mix ingredients listed above. Pour over tenderloins in the slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 6 hours.

Resource: Facebook

Next ingredient in the Game will be: KOSHER DILL PICKLES

Super Contributor

sue-p, I hope that "dill pickles" will do!

This recipe was posted back in August of 2011 by MissButtercup. I've included her notes*.

"Different Macaroni Salad"

* I made this many years ago and kept the recipe and it was requested for a BBQ recently and I just made it again and it was the hit of the table. I used smoked gouda cheese mixed in and halfed the amount of garlic and salt. The horseradish powder is the same as wasabi powder which you can get in the asian section fo the store or you can just use fresh horseradish but use a bit more. The dicing is a lot of work but this is delicious and people always love it!*

Ingredients

1 (16-ounce) package salad macaroni (or ditali pasta)

1 cup celery, diced

1 cup red onion, diced

1 cup yellow or white onion, diced

1 cup medium cheddar, diced

1 cup swiss cheese, diced

1/2 cup parmesan, grated

1 cup dill pickles, diced

1 cup salami, diced

1 (6-ounce) can large pitted black olives, drained (or 1 cup diced or sliced)

1 to 2 tablespoons Lawry's garlic salt

1 to 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic

1/4 teasspoon dried horseradish

1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper

1 to 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

1/2 teaspoon celery salt

1 (3-ounce) jar diced pimentos, rinsed and drained

1 to 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise

Directions

Add 2 quarts of water to a medium stockpot and bring to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until it is al dente, approximately 9 minutes. Do not overcook the pasta or it will fall apart when the salad is tossed together. Rinse macaroni until cool. Drain well and let it dry out slightly.

Add pasta to a large bowl. Carefully fold in celery, onion, cheddar, Swiss cheese, Parmesan, dill pickles, salami, and black olives. Refrigerate the mixture, uncovered, overnight (or refrigerate for at least 2 hours).

Mix the Lawry's garlic salt, minced garlic, white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, dry mustard and celery salt together. Add to salad. Fold in the pimentos. Fold in 1 cup of mayonnaise to start. Add up to a 1/2 cup more of mayonnaise if needed. Refrigerate again for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Next ingredient: smoked paprika

Super Contributor

OK, folks, smoked paprika seems like a dud, so let's change the next ingredient, shall we? Since Lent is fast approaching, how about something fattening, like butter? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Next ingredient: butter