Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for some help. Wait til you hear this one...

The last - and perhaps only - thing I've made with onion powder is Chex Party Mix.  You could take that?  It is a party, after all.

Esteemed Contributor

@faeriemoon

My condolences.

Go to the market and head for the spice section.  Next to it will be all the "other" stuff.  When you find the onion powder, turn it around and look for a website or at least the brand name.  Head for home and look this puppy up on the internet.  Dollars to donuts there will be recipes just waiting for you.

(I detest onion powder.  Don't use it and never have.  My husband "pours" it into any egg salad or tuna salad he makes.  Smells gross.  Can't even imagine what it taste like.  I make him use the guest bathroom when he eats that stuff.  LOL!  -No lie.)

Valued Contributor

The only thing I use onion powder in is Pimento Cheese dip

Honored Contributor

Personally I hate being assigned to do something as a guest.  It's one thing to select a nice gift, wrap it up and think about what I'll wear...please don't assign me silly projects.

That said I would just buy a gourmet onion powder (does that exist?) and then google a recipe without over thinking it too much.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Personally I hate being assigned to do something as a guest.  It's one thing to select a nice gift, wrap it up and think about what I'll wear...please don't assign me silly projects.

That said I would just buy a gourmet onion powder (does that exist?) and then google a recipe without over thinking it too much.

I was invited to one and everyone had to bring a recipe.

Well, I rarely use an actual recipe, usually make it up as I go along and because of that, I don't measure anything.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@faeriemoon

My condolences.

Go to the market and head for the spice section.  Next to it will be all the "other" stuff.  When you find the onion powder, turn it around and look for a website or at least the brand name.  Head for home and look this puppy up on the internet.  Dollars to donuts there will be recipes just waiting for you.

(I detest onion powder.  Don't use it and never have.  My husband "pours" it into any egg salad or tuna salad he makes.  Smells gross.  Can't even imagine what it taste like.  I make him use the guest bathroom when he eats that stuff.  LOL!  -No lie.)

@sfnative

Thank you for the excellent idea!  (And the giggle too!)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, @faeriemoon!

And we have another example of 'different strokes'. Smiley LOL

I LOVE the wedding's spice project, and I LOVE onion powder! LOL!

Believe it or not, onion powder can sometimes be hard to find, whereas garlic powder is everywhere.

Along with sweet paprika & salt, I always use garlic & onion powder when making a flour mixture to dredge things in. You sure can't add them fresh.

When I'm browning chicken breasts, & before I pop them in the oven to finish cooking, I sprinkle on some onion powder, in addition to any other seasonings I'm using.

Both garlic & onion powder are great for marinades too, because once the meat is removed from the marinade & patted dry,  there are no tiny pieces left behind, ready to burn in the skillet.

Onion powder is a must for dry rubs like @chickenbutt's!

Speaking of your rub, CB, I love it, and have even mixed up big batches, put it into pretty jars and given it as gifts. (Thanks!)

So, @faeriemoon, if I were you, I'd mix up a double batch of @chickenbutt's rub, find a pretty jar & label it, give a copy of the recipe, and you're all set!

ETA: CB's spice rub recipe, along with her notes. She noted that it's amazing on a ribeye, and she wasn't kidding! Here:

That dry rub is my husband's favorite, of all my recipes. I know you guys don't really eat steaks, but it's amazing on a ribeye. I just press it into both sides of the steak (yeah, ALL OVER!). I like to do it in the morning and put the steaks back in the refrigerator, sealing them up in the Foodsaver marinater, until about 1/2 hour before I am going to cook them.

I make a double batch of the recipe as it is the perfect size for one of my little Lock & Lock containers. It keeps pretty nicely in there. With the brown sugar you have to make sure you store it well so the brown sugar doesn't get hard. Then I just shake up the container before I use it each time.

1 teas Cumin (I use whole seeds & crush them up a bit)
1/8 teas Chipotle Chili Powder
1 Tbls Smoked Paprika
1 teas Dry Mustard
1/4 teas Coriander
1/4 teas Turmeric
1 Tbls Onion Powder
1 Tbls Garlic Powder
1 teas Herb De Provence
1 teas Espresso
2 teas Kosher Salt
1/2 teas freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbls plus 1 heaping teas Brown Sugar

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@sabatini  Thank you for your point of view on the situation and thank you for the recipe.  I think I'm going to make myself some jars of all these rubs that have been offered on this thread.  They sound great, and I love rubs and marinades.  Just in time for grilling season!  Heart

Valued Contributor

@sabatini 

Such an excellent idea... dry rub.  

Thank you for posting @chickenbutt 's  recipe!  I had not noticed it before and it sounds wonderful.  Do you think it would work on a flank steak (I have one)? I'm going to use espresso powder (dry)  Would you please let me know if that is wrong. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Respected Contributor

@rrpell wrote:

@sabatini 

Such an excellent idea... dry rub.  

@Thank you for posting @chickenbutt 's  recipe!  I had not noticed it before and it sounds wonderful.  Do you think it would work on a flank steak (I have one)? I'm going to use espresso powder (dry)  Would you please let me know if that is wrong. 

@rrpell, dry espresso powder is exactly right! And YES, do use the rub on your flank steak. Put it on a few hours ahead of time if you're able to.

Enjoy your dinner! Smiley Happy

Muddling through...