Honored Contributor

Looking for some help. Wait til you hear this one...

... Got a wedding shower invitation, and in addition to the usual information is the little add on project for the invitee.  Generally I enjoy providing these when it's a recipe, or a suggestion, or something I know about and don't have to research.

For this shower, each guest has been assigned a spice from around the world.  Sounds interesting and exotic, right?  You are supposed to buy that spice, then provide "your favorite recipe" using that spice.  Well my spice is onion powder. (A snore, I know.)  Do people even use onion powder that much?  Does it "feature" in anything?  I'm thinking something like a dip?  Any suggestions?

I think I'm making this too complicated.  I think it's the "featured" part of this thing that has me wondering.

Regular Contributor

Re: Looking for some help. Wait til you hear this one...

I think the last thing I used onion powder in was David Venable's Ultimate mac n cheese recipe.  BTW, I absolutely love that recipe. Otherwise, I really don't use onion powder.

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon  Yes, that's weird.  I mean, doesn't everyone just use actual onions?  I do think you're onto something with the dip idea.  Oh, I know......how about French onion dip (that's about as boring as onion powder, right?).

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

You could add onion powder to any recipe that called for onions.  I don't think I've ever used it and probably don't have any in my spice assortment.   As usual Google is your friend and you can get quite a bit of information. 

McCormick® Onion Powder. Onion may be grown in almost any temperate climate. ..... “When I make scrambled eggs, I always add onion powder and garlic powder and it makes them so delish!” - (from a reader) 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@fairiemoon, II am an onion addict- raw, cooked-you name it...but those can't be used in coatings. I always have onion and garlic powder on hand-especially garlic.

Fresh garlic has really had not much flavor over the last two years.

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

I use it in a spice rub for chicken.  It tastes pretty good.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde @duster95  Those are actually two good suggestions.  I don't think I'd use the mac and cheese recipe because if I were going to provide a recipe for that I'd use Ina's.  It is a great idea though and I appreciate your taking the time to suggest it.

Onion dip is another good one.  I'll look into that.  I think the only recipe I know is the Lipton onion soup one.  I will look for one that uses onion powder.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I wonder if the ubiquitous artichoke and spinach dip has onion powder in it?

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli @Poodlepet2

Yes!! A breadcrumb mixture for chicken cutlets and such!!  Excellent!  Forgot about those.  

Honored Contributor

I never use onion powder, only fresh onions.

If that's the only spice I used, I would probably find a good recipe using a different spice, maybe a favorite recipe from a friend or family member.

This request is a new one for me too!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't cook much, so for me, this "assignment" would be a pain in the a--.

Isn't it enough that you have to buy a gift, dress nice and spend a few hours of your precious time at the shower?  That is just my opinion -- but I am a bit grumpy today.  I never liked going to bridal or baby showers.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead