Honored Contributor

Looking for a recipe for Root Beer Cupcakes and Buttercream...

Our local food co-op had them a year ago and they were OUTSTANDING!

Valued Contributor

Re: Looking for a recipe for Root Beer Cupcakes and Buttercream...

Parade magazine this morning had a blurb about root beer. They pointed the reader to their website for a root beer cake recipe. I checked it out and it looks pretty good. No one here to eat an entire cake but it might translate into cupcakes pretty well. Maybe it is similar to what you had?

www.parade.com/rootbeer

Respected Contributor

This recipe is from The Butch Bakery Cookbook - The Butch Bakery is run by men who love cupcakes but don't like "frilly" ones. (They warn against making them "pretty" and using sprinkles or swirling the frosting, lol!) Every recipe I've made from the book has been outstanding; it's definitely worth buying. The cupcakes are all jumbo sized, but you can make them regular sized - just reduce the baking time.

ROOT BEER FLOAT CUPCAKES

For the cupcakes:

1 1/2 cups cake flour

2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

8 Tbs. (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened

3/4 cup sugar

2 large eggs

2 tsp. root beer extract

1/4 cup root beer (NOT diet), settled and poured

1/4 cup heavy cream

For the double-strength vanilla root beer buttercream:

12 ounces (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted

1 1/2 Tbs. heavy cream

2 1/4 tsp. root beer extract

2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Topping:

finely crushed root beer candies

Make the cupcakes: (They call this the "plan of attack)

Preheat the oven to 350°.

Line two six cup jumbo muffin pans with liners.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

In another bowl, beat the butter & sugar together until light & fluffy (2-3 min).

Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the eggs and root beer extract, and beat until combined.

Add the flour mixture, root beer, and heavy cream and beat on low speed until the dry ingredients are incorporated.

Fill each muffin cup with 1/4 cup of batter - about 1/2 full. (Note: I have special cupcake scoops that are measured out to mini, regular, and jumbo sized pans.)

Bake, rotating 1/2 way through, until the tops are firm to the touch and a cake tester comes out clean, about 22 minutes.

Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Make the buttercream:

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.

Scrape down the sides of the bowl, reduce speed to medium, and add 1/2 the confectioners sugar, the heavy cream, and the extracts, beating until smooth and creamy.

Cupcake Construction:

Using an ice cream scoop, top each cupcake with a generous rounded scoop of frosting. (Don't tell the bakery owners, but I do use a pastry bag and star tip to give me a pretty swirled top. Wink) Sprinkle with about 1/2 tsp. of crushed root beer candies.

Refrigerate for up to 3 days.

Makes 12 cupcakes.

Honored Contributor

You might try one of these on Pinterest. http://www.pinterest.com/recipes/root-beer-cupcakes/

Honored Contributor

HulaGirl -

THANKS! That's just what I was looking for!

I bought the root beer extract on Amazon...but didn't have a recipe.

Super Contributor

Why don't people looking for specific recipes just google them instead of asking here and letting someone else do it for them?

Drives me insane !

Honored Contributor

On 8/3/2014 Qlady100 said:

Why don't people looking for specific recipes just google them instead of asking here and letting someone else do it for them?

Drives me insane !

I think a lot of the time people are looking for a really good tried & true recipe. Not all recipes you get off this board or online are good.

Honored Contributor

On 8/3/2014 Nightowlz said:

Drives me insane !

I think a lot of the time people are looking for a really good tried & true recipe. Not all recipes you get off this board or online are good.

Smile

That's exactly right.

I'm the Google Queen, but I like to get a recommendation on either the recipe or on the recipe's source.

Respected Contributor

Drives me insane !

There's a funny little concept you've obviously never heard of: it's called friendship, or sociability. A lot of us enjoy it. Try it - you might like it! Wink

Respected Contributor

On 8/3/2014 FunkyHulaGirl said:

Drives me insane !

There's a funny little concept you've obviously never heard of: it's called friendship, or sociability. A lot of us enjoy it. Try it - you might like it! Wink

Someone is a little grouchy today. I love this board and yes, sometimes I google. This board has tried and true recipes as someone else stated. I have collected many good ones here.