Valued Contributor

Looking for a healthy no bake energy cookie recipe

You know the kind, peanut butter, some chocolate a bit of chia and a guarantee of energy. I made some ahwile back and kinda winged it,  I know I can do better.

Respected Contributor

Re: Looking for a healthy no bake energy cookie recipe

Peanut butter and chocolate are all sugars...does it have to include those?

Are you just looking for added energy or what's your goal?

Trusted Contributor

Google "gluten free energy balls", there are many recipes out there. I only say gluten free because people who eat gluten free get very creative with their recipes, and also GF are much healthier not having flour in them.

The recipes are all pretty similar, and very easy. I just made some that used almond butter, chia, oats, and honey (and maybe one other ingredient). They were very good, and healthier than a candy bar.

You can use any kind of nut butter, can also add in raisins, or coconut. Once your find a basic recipe, you can tweak it to your own liking.

There are a ton of recipes for them on Pinterest. But Google pulls up lots also.

I saw one made with mashed banana's, Peanut butter, oats, honey, flax seed, and teeny choc ships...I have to hunt that one up again. They looked yummy.

Honored Contributor

@gabstoomuch...I googled the gluten free energy balls......darn some of those recipes look delish.  I wish they listed the sugar and calorie content.

Honored Contributor

A lot depends on what your idea of "healthy" is.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

Peanut butter and chocolate are all sugars...does it have to include those?

Are you just looking for added energy or what's your goal?

@Just Bling    @blankette

Peanut butter isn't "all sugar".   Of course, SOME brands have sugar, but not all.   Read the labels.

If you're talking energy cookies, the first things that come to mind are ground sunflower seeds ....  and powdered cocoa for the chocolate flavor.    

It really depends on your preferences and if there are any allergies to consider.

Respected Contributor

Search for pemmican bars/breakfast bars. They are basically the original, Native American energy bar. They are not generally vegetarian because the base in dehydrated jerky of your choice. I've had homemade ones by a co-worker, who is into high protein, low carb foods. They also have a naturally long shelf life. They are for long distance treking, so you can make up a bunch and be sure they will last without going bad.
Valued Contributor

I have all those things on hand, if you have a minute sometime please share your recipe Gabs, sounds delicious. I guess my goal is the most tasty edible good for you cookie I can make. If something tastes bad I dont eat it and I do have a sweet tooth. I do not like gobs of sugar but I need some. They have been putting them in the checkout area more at the store and they very pricey for what I get. Thanks all!!!!

Valued Contributor

I agree with checking Pintrest.  Re: the peanut butter ones, I always add walnuts, flaxseed, and sometimes dried cherries.  Sometimes I don't feel the need for chocolate chips, so just be creative and add whatever you like Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

These look good and easy to make:  https://thenutritiousprincess.com/2016/10/26/no-bake-chocolate-peanut-butter-granola-bars/

No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bars (makes 12 bars)

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips (dairy-free option: use dairy-free chocolate like Enjoy Life)
  • 1 1/2 cups oats
  • 1/2 cup chopped almonds
  • 1-2 oz coconut chips, crushed (I used 1 1.4 oz pack of Hungry Buddha coconut chips)
  • 4 tbsp chia seeds
  • a pinch of sea salt

Directions:

1. In a double boiler over medium heat, heat the peanut butter, honey and chocolate chips until melted.
  2. In a bowl, combine the oats, chopped almonds, coconut chips, chia seeds and sea salt.
  3. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well to coat everything.
  4. Press the granola bar mixture into a small square pan lined with parchment paper. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before cutting. Enjoy and keep stored in the fridge for up to 1 week or freeze for longer.