Valued Contributor

Lemon Bars
(recipe source: The Pioneer Woman)

I've tried so many recipes for Lemon Bars with little success. Some were too sweet, others too tart. These are the perfect combination (to me). Plus, they are pretty quick and easy to make. Beat the heat and cool-off with these luscious lemon bars.

I halved the recipe to make a 9x9 pan instead of a 9x13. The recipe below is for 9x9.

1 stick butter, cut into cubes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/8 tsp kosher salt

3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 Tsp all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
Zest and juice of 2 large lemons
Powdered sugar, for sifting

Preheat the oven to 350.

For the crust: Grease a 9x9 inch pan with butter and line with foil and then grease that foil well. Into a food processor put the butter, flour, granulated sugar and salt and process until coarse crumb. Press into the bottom of prepared pan and bake until golden approx. 20 min.

For the filling: Whisk together the sugar, flour and eggs until smooth. Add the zest and juice and mix to combine. Pour over the baked crust and bake until just set. Approx. 20 min. Take out of the oven and let rest for about 15 minutes. Then put them in the refrigerator for a minium of two hours. Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

Lola--The lemon bars sound so refreshing, especially in this heat.  Thanks!

Valued Contributor
Hi meezerpleezer! You are very welcome. We just had one for dessert tonight. I hope you'll enjoy them too.

Have a great evening,
LoLa
Frequent Contributor

Looks delicious.

Can't wait to give it a try.

Shopping girl

Esteemed Contributor

Tech help needed:  I just copied this recipe to Word; however, it came with a mustard yellow background, such as we experienced in the beginning with the new forums.  Am unable to highlight and delete the background yellow.  Anyone with a fix?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for reminding me of these.  I haven't made them in years and just happened to have two lemons left in the bag from Costco.   Used your recipe and made them early this morning (no A/C and we heating up again in the PNW).  Of course I have already had a taste - delicious!!

Trusted Contributor

@sfnative  That "mustard yellow" and reformatting in Word is one of the banes of this new format.  Highlight all the text with the background.  I'm using WORD 2010, so on the HOME tab, look in the section with PARAGRAPH written at the bottom (where you can Center or Left-Justify text).  There's a little icon that looks like a paint can slightly tipped over with one drop coming out of it.  If you "hover" over it, it is called "Shading."

Click on the drop-down arrow to its right.  Go down to the next to the last item in the drop down and click the box to the left of "No Color". 

Alternately, if the little rectangle under the paint can has no color in it, you should be able to just click it without using the drop-down to No Color.

As a side note, I've discovered that the Text Size I select under my "Preferences" on this new board has a drastic effect on what and how threads copy into WORD.  And if I'm copying without logging in to QVC, I get completely different results again.

Edited to Add:  For a little more drastic "cleaning" look on the HOME tab in the FONT section.  The top right icon in that section is an inscrutable litle "eraser" with a tiny "Aa" in a box next to it.  "Hovering" reveals it to be "Clear Formatting".  It will work, too, but it may clear more formatting than you want.

Something else that works is the "quick and dirty" trick of highlighting and copying the text.  Either delete the original (or go into a new document), right click your mouse, and select the "A" (text only) option from the "Paste Options" near the top of the box you get after you Right Click.

And somewhere there's probably even a better way that I haven't found yet!

Esteemed Contributor

@Honeybit wrote:

@sfnative  That "mustard yellow" and reformatting in Word is one of the banes of this new format.  Highlight all the text with the background.  I'm using WORD 2010, so on the HOME tab, look in the section with PARAGRAPH written at the bottom (where you can Center or Left-Justify text).  There's a little icon that looks like a paint can slightly tipped over with one drop coming out of it.  If you "hover" over it, it is called "Shading."

Click on the drop-down arrow to its right.  Go down to the next to the last item in the drop down and click the box to the left of "No Color". 

Alternately, if the little rectangle under the paint can has no color in it, you should be able to just click it without using the drop-down to No Color.

As a side note, I've discovered that the Text Size I select under my "Preferences" on this new board has a drastic effect on what and how threads copy into WORD.  And if I'm copying without logging in to QVC, I get completely different results again.

Edited to Add:  For a little more drastic "cleaning" look on the HOME tab in the FONT section.  The top right icon in that section is an inscrutable litle "eraser" with a tiny "Aa" in a box next to it.  "Hovering" reveals it to be "Clear Formatting".  It will work, too, but it may clear more formatting than you want.

Something else that works is the "quick and dirty" trick of highlighting and copying the text.  Either delete the original (or go into a new document), right click your mouse, and select the "A" (text only) option from the "Paste Options" near the top of the box you get after you Right Click.

And somewhere there's probably even a better way that I haven't found yet!

HoneyBit,

I am quite familar with the first option you explained, but will re-read your text and see if I can gleen something from it that will work.  Funny thing is, I have been cutting and pasting for some time now without the mustard yellow background.  From my end of things, it appears as though things have slipped back to the way they were at the time of the chage. 

Will check out your suggestions. Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

@sfnative  I haven't figured out why some of the posts / replies have a gray shaded background now which I don't remember seeing before on this new format.  When I copy them, they always have the mustard background in Word.

In the beginning, the very first post in a thread was always mustard in Word. 

Also, I have noticed that sometimes there's an unshaded line in the middle of the post which seems to keep the "shading" clear from working on the whole post.  I have had to highlight and "uncolor" the post in two separate operations. 

I have even had to uncolor a line or two at a time in some cases.  I think there is ongoing work by the programmers which changes our results from time to time.

"Is a puzzlement."