Honored Contributor

Re: JANUARY RECIPE EXCHANGE GAME

Crock Pot Potato Soup*

1 bag cubed HASHBROWNS, thawed slightly to mix

3  14 oz. cans chicken broth

1.  10 oz. can cream of chicken soup

1/2 cup chopped onion

Mix together and cook in crock pot on low for 5 hours.  Add 8 oz. cream cheese (cut up, drop in) and cook another 30 minutes.  Add 6 slices of crumbled cooked bacon and also 4-6 chopped green onions.....stir and serve.

* I may have gotten this recipe here but did not note it.  If so, thanks to originator.......easy and good!

NEXT .......... Applesauce

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@walker That recipe sounds delicious and easy to make with on hand ingredients!

Healthy Brownie Recipe | Applesauce Brownies

These healthy brownies are made with applesauce and have almost no butter in them, yet they taste delicious!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 9

Ingredients
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce at room temperature
2 TB butter melted
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/2 cup all purpose flour

Instructions
Move a rack to the lower third of the oven and preheat to 325. Prepare an 8 inch square pan by lining it with parchment or foil.

Stir the melted butter into the applesauce. If the applesauce is cold and the butter firms up, warm the mixture in the microwave for a few seconds until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth.

In a large bowl, combine the sugar and the applesauce/butter mixture. Stir together. Add the cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla, and stir until combined. Stir in the eggs.

Sprinkle the flour over the batter and gently stir until just combined. Bake in the lower third of the oven for about 25 minutes. The center will be risen and the edges will be firm, but a toothpick inserted in the middle should be a bit wet when removed. If the batter on your toothpick becomes firm when cool, the brownies are done.

Let cool completely. For best flavor, store these brownies overnight before eating.

NEXT INGREDIENT: ROSEMARY 

Regular Contributor

French Dip Sandwiches
8 Servings

1 (3 to 4 lb.) top chuck roast
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 beef bouillon cube
1 bay leaf
4 whole peppercorns
1 tsp. dried rosemary leaves, crushed
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups water
French or hoagie rolls

Remove and discard all visible fat from roast. Place roast in a crock-pot. Combine soy sauce, bouillon cube and spices; pour over roast. Add water. Cover and cook on low heat 10 to 12 hours or until meat is very tender. Remove meat from broth; shred with forks and keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Strain broth; skim off fat. Pour broth into small cups for dipping. Serve warm on desired bread.

Variation: If desired, put cheese on the bread before adding the meat. Put sandwiches on a baking pan and heat in a 350° oven for about 5 minutes, just until the cheese starts to melt.

Next Ingredient:  Cornmeal

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mom always made polenta and I never liked it, so when they asked me to make it for them I was clueless.

I made this recipe from Melissa d'Arabian and my dad said it was the best he'd ever had. He was 90+ years old, so I figured it must be good and I tried it.  

It was delicious.  

Here's the link to the recipe

I used white cornmeal.

MN0408H_creamy-polenta_s4x3.jpg.rend.sni12col.landscape.jpeg

Creamy Polenta

Vegetable cooking spray
1 cup milk
1 1/3 cups half-and-half, divided
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1/3 cup coarse polenta, or corn grits
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Spray the insert of a slow cooker with cooking spray (for easier clean up) and preheat on high.
In a medium saucepan, add the milk, 1 cup half-and-half, 1 tablespoon butter, and polenta. Season with salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly to keep the mixture lump-free. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours, stirring once or twice per hour. Once you are ready to serve, open the slow cooker and whisk in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, remaining 1/3 cup half-and-half, and Parmesan.
Recipe courtesy of Melissa d'Arabian

Next ingredient:  leftover poached chicken

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

Crispy Leftover Poached Chicken with Buffalo Sauce

Slice / tear poached chicken into small pieces. The smaller the pieces, the crispier and more flavorful they’ll taste after cooking.

Coat chicken generously with flour. Season with salt and pepper.

Heat a nonstick skillet with 1 to 2 Tablespoons of oil, depending on the amount of chicken.

Spread chicken in the skillet without overlapping. When the bottom side turns golden brown, turn to the other side to cook until crispy. (If the chicken pieces are too small, you can use a spatula to stir and flip them occasionally throughout cooking.)

Make Buffalo hot sauce, combine 4 tablespoons unsalted melted butter, 1/2 cup Frank’s Original Red Hot Sauce, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Mix well.

Serve warm with chop sticks and the hot dipping sauce.

(From Omnivore's Cookbook)

next ingredient:  pears 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rrpell

Thank you! I have never heard of anything like this! I can't wait to try it - I will put it on the menu for this week!

My husband can't have the spicy sauce - I'm thinking the chicken, prepared this way, would be good on an Asian salad.

Next ingredient: pears

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

@house_cat

Asian salad sounds good!!  I love Maggie Zhu's blog and Facebook (The Omnivore's Cookbook). She is just bursting with creativity.  I thought you might like to see her picture of the repurposed chicken

Next ingredient: pears

IMG_1128.JPG

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love pears in sandwiches like this one:

PEAR WALNUT SANDWICHES 

Ingredients
1/2 cup (4 ounces) tub-style light cream cheese
8 (1.1-ounce) slices cinnamon-raisin bread, toasted
2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts, toasted
2 Bartlett pears, cored and thinly sliced
1 cup alfalfa sprouts
Preparation
1. Spread 1 tablespoon cream cheese evenly over each of 8 bread slices. Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon walnuts evenly over each of 4 bread slices. Top each evenly with pear slices, sprouts, and 1 bread slice. Cut each sandwich in half diagonally.

IMG_2636.JPG

Next Ingredient: BRIE

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse

What a great recipe, thank you!  I love pears but never even thought to make a sandwich with them!!

I haven't tried this Soup yet but it is near the top of my list to try!  from halfbakedharvest.com

Brie-+-Cheddar-Apple-Beer-Soup-with-Cinnamon-Pecan-Oat-Crumble-18.jpg

Brie + Cheddar Apple Beer Soup with Cinnamon Pecan Oat Crumble.

Serving Size: 4

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 sweet onion, chopped
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2/3 cup apple cider
  • 2 apples, chopped (I used honeycrisp)
  • 2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
  • 1 (12 ounce) beer (I used pumpkin beer)
  • 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup milk (I used 2%)
  • 16 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 8 ounces brie, rind removed + cubed
  •  
  • Cinnamon Pecan Oat Crumble
  • 1 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1 1/2 cups whole raw pecans
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
  •  
  • Cheddar Apple Beer Soup with Brie

Instructions

!To make the Crumble

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Working on a greased cookie sheet or pyrex dish, add the oats, pecans, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.

Add the softened butter and use your fingers to crumble it into the oats mixture until everything is moist and the butter is evenly distributed.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, until crisp is golden brown and smells amazing.

I like to serve this warm, so I make it while the soup simmers.

!To make the Soup

Heat a large soup pot over medium heat.

Add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onions and a pinch of brown sugar.

Season with a little salt and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened.

At this point, slowly add in the apple cider, let it cook into the onions, add more and continue to cook. Do this until the onions are caramelized.

Add the apples and thyme to the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring, until softened, 8 minutes. Add in any remaining apple cider, the beer, chicken broth and cayenne. Bring to a simmer and cook 5-10 minutes or until the apples are tender. (This is when I bake the crumble)

Meanwhile, whisk the flour into the milk until smooth. Set aside.

Once the apples are soft, puree the soup until chunky smooth or completely smooth (whatever you like). Return the soup to the stove and bring to a low bowl. Whisk in the milk mixture and boil until the soup thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.

Stir in the cheddar cheddar cheese and brie until melted and smooth. Simmer the soup 5 minutes or until ready to serve.

Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the cinnamon pecan crumble. Plus maybe some extra cheese too.  

NEXT INGREDIENT:

SRIRACHA SAUCE

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love Sriracha!  This recipe doesn't require much but it adds that perfect zing!

SRIRACHA AND CILANTRO COLE SLAW

Ingredients

¼ head of red cabbage
1 medium sized carrot
2 spring onions (scallions)
1 small bunch of coriander (cilantro)
2 tbsp mayo
2 tsp sriracha
1 tsp rice vinegar (lemon juice works fine, if it's all you have)

Instructions
Finely slice the cabbage, peel and grate the carrot, finely slice the spring onions, and pick the leaves from the coriander, placing them all into a large mixing bowl.
Stir together the mayo, sriracha and rice vinegar, and taste. If you like things a little spicier, or a little creamier, feel free to adjust to your taste. There isn't much dressing, just enough to lightly coat the salad.
Pour the dressing over the sliced veggies, and toss very well - I think clean hands are the best thing for this job!
You can serve it straight away, but I think all 'slaws benefit from being left in the fridge for a few hours to marinate. 

NEXT INGREDIENT: LIME OR LIME JUICE

@RespectLife thank you!  I love sandwiches and like playing around with ingredients. I can always make a sandwich out of something!