Respected Contributor

I want to share this lentil/veggie soup I made....HEARTY!!

Saute up a diced onion, 2 stalks celery, and some carrots.  Then add 2 thinly sliced cloves of garlic. I use EVOO.   Add 2 boxes (quart size) of beef broth, or more if you want a big pot.

Add fresh green beans

diced zuchini (both green and yellow)

Fresh mushrooms

1 can cannelini beans

1 cup of Lentils

I then added my leftover sauce (Sunday meat sauce)  or you could buy a jar of good marina sauce if you dont have any made.

Then...I added about 1/2 cup of PORT WINE!!   YUM!!

Add your salt/pepper to taste. Little red pepper too.

Sweet basil, and a little organo.

WOWZA...this was very satisfying, and super tasty.  Get your italian bread ready!

My apologies for no exact measurements...basically, thats how I cook.  I'm sure you chefs here will adjust the ingredients even better!!  

I hope some ofyou  make this, and enjoy!!

Respected Contributor

Re: I want to share this lentil/veggie soup I made....HEARTY!!

@Dazlin

Do you cover and simmer till raw veg. Are tender ?

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin

Sounds good and easy!

Did you use dry(already cooked) or can lentils(if canned, do you use the liquid?)

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

Dazlin, I love lentil soup recipes, and always looking for a new twist.  Our favorite one adds a little chopped potato and fennel.  Yours sounds excellent and will be fun to try in these next wintry days...

Respected Contributor

Dazzling, thanks for this recipe!  I love cooking with wine because it carries flavor, but can you tell us what kind of Port you are using?  I have a ruby port on hand that goes beautifully with desserts, and there is a beautiful sauce I make using it along with prunes that is delish on Turkey tenderloin, but it's sweet. I would be surprised if that's what you use.....

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Yes cook till everything is tender...covered.
Respected Contributor

I use Ruby Port, I like Fairbanks. It's rich, sweet, and inexpensive. I use dry lentils, no soaking needed. For my sauce, I used my Italian red meat sauce, leftover from Sunday. I use my own marina sauce, if I have that leftover...either one will do. Or a jar from grocery store would work too.
Respected Contributor

Dazzlin, I'm going to try this-ruby port included!  Since you have a diabetic in the house a couple of things to be aware of. Look for no added sugar sauces: you would think you are safe with marinara, but I have seen some with corn syrup or the high fructose stuff added.

I love tomatoes, but they are not exactly a freebie for me.  Technically they are a fruit, and I have documented glucose rises afterwards. Bummer for me-but I still make tomato based soups and dishes and to my salads. Hopefully they are not problematic for your hubs, but be aware. I watch portions of the little darlings that I really do love. I do use sun dried tomatoes for a burst of intense flavor, and if they are packed in a high quality oil, even better. Fat and fiber can blunt the effects of sugar. 

If he has no issues with this soup, then enjoy every bite!

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Dazzlin, I'm going to try this-ruby port included!  Since you have a diabetic in the house a couple of things to be aware of. Look for no added sugar sauces: you would think you are safe with marinara, but I have seen some with corn syrup or the high fructose stuff added.

I love tomatoes, but they are not exactly a freebie for me.  Technically they are a fruit, and I have documented glucose rises afterwards. Bummer for me-but I still make tomato based soups and dishes and to my salads. Hopefully they are not problematic for your hubs, but be aware. I watch portions of the little darlings that I really do love. I do use sun dried tomatoes for a burst of intense flavor, and if they are packed in a high quality oil, even better. Fat and fiber can blunt the effects of sugar. 

If he has no issues with this soup, then enjoy every bite!

Poodlepet2

I make my own sauce..I only suggested the store bought for those who don't make it. 

As far as hubby goes...soup ain't gonna cut it for him...I make it for me (I like healthy). The lentils are a great fiber, and the veggies are good for him too.   Although he'll have some on the side...I always have to cook separately for him, like a steak, or some type of chops...he's a meat guy.  I really appreciate all the suggestions concerning him, but I cook as best as I can for him...the rest is up to him.  He knows what he's supposed to do.  He's a very lazy eater...wants things ready to chomp on. He doesnt cook, won't even make a sandwhich.... That's why I try to make healthy snacks, or he'll just grab anything.  One great thing...he's not fussy, and loves everything I make.  He's verrry active and in great shape.  Drs say, By looking at him, he's not diabetic..it's his #'s high.  So, of course we watch his diet.  Getting back to recipes...being Italian, I love my sauce and pasta, but I only make that occasionally because of him.  He loves the meatballs, and bracioles.  So I asked here about healthy muffins, and he just enjoyed one!   Again, appreciate the knowledge...hes knows exactly what he should be doing...and I'm trying my best to satisfy him, nutriciously.  and the list goes on....Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

Dazzling, ask his doc for a diabetes education referral-it might knock some sense into him. It's great that he's active-and I mean that. I don't know why, but men have a much harder time than women with this.....

Poodlepet2