Valued Contributor

I tried a new thing with Zucchini tonight and it was yummy!!

Hello all... I hope I do not irritate the beegeesus out of you but these measurements are guesstimates as I cook that way, and I bet most of you do too. I tried this tonight and it was delicious. Since it is almost time for that big Zucchini crop maybe you will need a recipe.

HERE YOU GO!

chop about 1/4 cup onion

saute in olive oil, about 2-3 tbsps, when done or cooked to preference

lower heat and add about 3-4 cups fresh sliced zucchini , cover and let the steam and heat bring it down in size, it will shrink. this took about 20 minutes

take 2-3 stale croissants and rip into bite size ( i use Costcos and put them in my toaster oven to dry them out)

grease a lasagna type pan with olive oil and lay the croissant pieces evenly across

beat 3-4 eggs and add one cup sour cream

layer the zucchini on to the bread, then add slices of whatever your fav cheese is, I used swiss and colby, and cheddar alternately, then add the egg mixture

add a topping of choice, bread crumbs, or crushed crakers, douse with parmesian.

bake at 450 for about 25 minutes, watch it, not too much longer........

it's a good way to get your vegies!

Honored Contributor

Re: I tried a new thing with Zucchini tonight and it was yummy!!

Here's a really easy side dish with zucchini.  In frying pan sliced zucchini, tomatoes, and onion. add ground pepper, garlic salt and saute in butter or olive oil.  It's really yummy if you have fresh tomatoes from the garden.  Cat Very HappyCat Tongue

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

Yummy!

Respected Contributor

Yumm sort of a zucchini frittata or strata! Thank you for a great idea..

Growing up, my mom used to make"zucchini boats"...zucchini was not real popular or prevalent in the 1960's... Sliced them lengthwise, scooped out the innards with a melon baller, leaving a shell, chopped the zuke, sautéed chopped onion, garlic, Italian sausage or ground beef, added bread crumbs, the zuke, Parmesan, cooled it, added an egg or two and stuffed back in, baked, topped with more Parmesan...

great at way to introduce a kid to zucchini..I've loved it ever since!

Respected Contributor

We do this, but sub out the tomato, onion etc with a can of Stewed tomatoes or Italian stewed tomatoes if you can get them...

Respected Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

We do this, but sub out the tomato, onion etc with a can of Stewed tomatoes or Italian stewed tomatoes if you can get them...

I do this also, add some pea's, love it served over polenta.  Sometimes do what my mother did, poach eggs on top.