Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do you store your recipes?

I use a lot of recipes off the internet.  Some I have cooked before, years ago, but not sure of the measurements. 

I print them out, fold in half and keep in a plastic bag.  Keep this collection narrowed down to easy to fix often and good!  Goulash, Beef &  broccoli, etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Call me crazy but after pitching some old/unused cookbooks I want to go back to using a recipe box.

I found some old, hand written recipe cards from when I first struck out on my own. Others from when DS was a baby .

So many great memories came flooding back! I'm going to put them in a new recipe box and treasure them.  I don't have a ton of cards but many need to be recopied.

Should be a great winter project, too!

Exactly what I decided too. I now have 3 beautiful boxes. I don't use as many anymore so this works out best for me too. Some that I use a lot, are in a small paper binder and I laminated and hole punched those. Keeps them clean when on the counter and in use. I really had to pare down too.

Honored Contributor

@tobias wrote:

was using a recipe card box but was getting annoyed pulling out the cards in each section to find a recipe. Bought a recipe book on amazon where i wrote down my best recipes but now that I saw the book the poster is using that actually holds the recipe cards, I think I'll get one of those and put my cards in the book. think that will be easier than digging thru the recipe box!

Two books that allow you to put your favorites in (Gooseberry Patch for me), I have most used ones in. On other books I got like this, I started cutting after copying and taping those in a book. I almost NEVER use those. I may need to rethink these now for our dietary needs.

Honored Contributor

@tobias wrote:

just ordered two beautiful recipe card albums by Lang that will hold 4 x 6 recipe cards. This will be a good winter project for me -organizing all my recipes and I like the idea of flipping thru a book rather than digging thru my very full card box. Thanks for bringing up this topic- it got me going at something I've been meaning to do.

Lang is the product I used too for my recipe boxes. Great and pretty choices. Got them on line!

Super Contributor

Quality Gal - i got both of mine on Amazon- they are beautiful - I got the daylight one (red and black with rooster) and one called market to market (red binder with white background and picture on front) They are so well made-I'm just waiting for more recipe cards to arrive so I can copy my recipes. This is a great winter project! Going to be cold in NY this weekend and hopefully I'll get a lot done!

Respected Contributor

For online recipes check out copymethat.com.  I just found it and it is wonderful.  I started a thread about it just now and then scrolled down and saw this topic. 

Super Contributor

MIMA sounds good if you like your recipes on the computer..I prefer having mine in a book in the kitchen- dont kept any of my computers pads etc in the kitchen- too much room for error (spills etc) loving these new Lang recipe binders that i got

Honored Contributor

I use an index card box that holds 5" X 8" index cards with blank dividers set up in alphabetical order:

Appetizers

Beef

Breads/Muffins/Scones

Cookies

Desserts

Drinks

Eggs

Lamb

Pasta/Rice

Pork

Poultry

Salads

Sauces

Seafood

Soups

Veal

Vegetables

Mind you, its broken up as the main ingredient as to where the recipe goes.

I did this years ago and when I find a new recipe I just write up a new card and stick it in its appropriate divider.

I even decorated the black plastic box with the letters RECIPES and some other decal stencils from local Michaels.

I always joke that if there was ever a fire in the house, this and my purse would be the first things to grab!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

I have an old recipe box with index cards of my old favorites over the years. Now, when  I find one I like , it just gets added to my favorites on my iPad. I laugh sometimes when I do take out one of my old recipes - well used, a little spot of this or that on them ... They definitely have been used ... I used to have a lot more, but I went thru them a few years back and just tossed some that I maybe made only once -you know the ones that you think you will try again and never do! 

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

I have a box with cards as well.  I keep them in sleeves.   This is for recipes that I actually make.    I have a lot I want to make in my email and I title them Recipe: (item name).   Last but not least I also have a lot on a kindlecooking site that makes them into an ecookbook.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*