Contributor

How do you store your recipes?

I am trying to get my recipes better organized and I need some advice. I have recipes everywhere!  I have some saved on various online sites, I have many cookbooks where I have one or two favorite recipes in, I have a three ring binder where I've printed recipes off and put them in.   I have them all over the place and I would like to try to pull them together into one area and I need some suggestions.  I find when its time to make something, I can't remember where the recipe is.  I am interested to hear how you keep your recipes organized.

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you store your recipes?

[ Edited ]

I think the difficulty for me is in having paper AND online recipes, because there's no one way to keep them all unless you print everything out and keep them in a binder and I really don't want to have to do that.

I recently decided to keep  an Excel/Google Sheets database with my favorite recipes. That way I can include a location column and include either a link to a recipe online or a book name and page. Depending on how much information I want to input, I can search by recipe name or key ingredient. If it's online, I click the link and there it is. If it's in a book, the file tells me which book and what page.

Honored Contributor

Mine are on paper and I use a 4 inch three ring binder.  I also have a folder on the computer where I've down loaded recipes.  I like a hard copy when I cook.

Regular Contributor

I had alot of recipes I printed off the internet and coud never find one when I needed it.  I bit the bullet and sorted them into desserts, soups, chicken, Mexican,appetizers, etc..  After I had them all sorted, I went thru and discarded ones I knew I would never use or I had doubles.  Then I just put them in cheap pocket folders (dollar store) and labeled the front of the folder.  Works for me !  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use  small 6" x 9" ring  binders with dividers for categories.  I put the recipes in protector sleeves so I don't get gpok on them.  I like the small binders because it's easier to handle than the standard size ones.

Respected Contributor

@dwingy   While you are workiing on a system, or until you accomplish your goal, I suggest you search for a Recipe Index notebook.  In a recipe index, you can record (either by category, i.e., appetizer, dessert, main dish, etc., or by main ingredient) the name of the recipe and where you have filed it, or in which cookbook and on what page you saw it.  

Like any other recipe/cookbook hoarder collector, I have the over-stuffed binders and way too many cookbooks; however, my most useful recipe filing system is done on a computer.  In a word processing application, I have a folder named "Recipes," and in it, sub-folders by category, just like a cookbook.  If you choose to use this system, be sure to keep your files backed up!   

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Several years ago I started putting them on my computer and finally decided I hated that.  A couple of years ago I bought a bunch of narrow three ring binders and a box of sheet protectors at Costco.  I labeled them appetizers, breakfast, chicken, etc.  I typed out my very favorite recipes from cookbooks and put them in the binders (some of my old favorites are not they way we eat now).  I have the binders in a bookcase and I add recipes that I want to keep to them.  The recipes I have not tried I have divided by categories into large clips and they are in a large decorative box I bought at the container store.  

Trusted Contributor

Someone on this blog mentioned Evernote.  I love it and they have a web clipper which you highlight, hit clip icon and it saves to notebooks you make.  Hope this makes sense.  A litle hard to explain but love it.

Boop

Honored Contributor

I have a couple of small recipe binders I hand-write my favorites to keep inside, much like this one:

Product Details

I also have a rectangular decorated cardboard keepsake box from Michael's that I use for recipes written on steno book pages that I've tried and want to keep but which may not be my very favorite recipe.

I have a lot of cookbooks, and I use Post It tabs to mark the pages of favorites or those I want to try.

Honored Contributor

I use Evernote and also have an under-cabinet mounted long recipe box that holds all my favs on 3 X 5 cards.   I have a loose leaf notebook with plastic inserts that holds all my Joanna Lund newsletters (remember her?). 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment