Respected Contributor

Homemade Marshmallow Spread (Creme)

I made this for the first time with the recipe at King Arthur Flour. It's SO GOOD....& easy! My mom used to add marshmallow creme to her homemade fudge, & it was delicious. Btw, I used organic light corn syrup in my batch (& organic eggs). 

King Arthur Flour
Homemade Marshmallow Spread

Best known as a companion to peanut butter in sandwiches, marshmallow spread is also excellent atop ice cream, floating in hot cocoa, or as a dip for fruits and crackers. Creating this fluffy whip at home is easy, and you'll be amazed at the fresh vanilla taste.

1/3 cup water
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup corn syrup or honey
3 egg whites, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a medium-sized saucepan combine the water, sugar and corn syrup (or honey). Stir gently to combine. Insert a candy thermometer set for 240°F and heat over medium-high flame. Do not stir the sugar water as it cooks or it will form crystals.
When the sugar syrup begins to form large bubbles, and the thermometer reads about 225°F to 230°F, place the egg whites and cream of tartar in the bowl of your stand mixer and beat the whites to soft peaks. This should take about 3 to 4 minutes.
By the time the whites are whipped, the sugar syrup should be at 240°F. Remove from the heat and with the mixer running, carefully pour the syrup in a thin, steady stream into the whites.

The whites will deflate slightly at first, but as the sugar syrup becomes incorporated, they will thicken, turn white and begin to fluff up.
Continue to whip the fluffy spread for 7 to 8 minutes, or until very thick and glossy. Add in the vanilla and whip for another minute.
Pour the spread into an airtight container. Store for up to 2 weeks at room temperature. The spread can be rewhipped by hand if it becomes "flat".
yield: about 3 cups

Honored Contributor

Re: Homemade Marshmallow Spread (Creme)

@spot555  Your recipe reminds me of that 7-minute icing my mom used to make before powdered sugar concoctions became popular.   She'd bear it until her arm almost fell off.   I was never crazy about it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment