Esteemed Contributor

I am making a fruit salad to go with brunch on Sunday. The recipe calls for two large apples, obviously chopped up. I would like to do this ahead of time ~ preferably the night before if possible. How can I keep the apple pieces from turning brown and to stay fresh looking? TIA

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

I've heard tossing them with a citrus juice.....but I wouldn't risk it......won't take much time to cut them at the last minute....

Trusted Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

I am making a fruit salad to go with brunch on Sunday. The recipe calls for two large apples, obviously chopped up. I would like to do this ahead of time ~ preferably the night before if possible. How can I keep the apple pieces from turning brown and to stay fresh looking? TIA

Hi @pattypeep,

You can add some lemon juice to them to coat them, to keep them from going brown.

Or, you can do like nana said and just cut them at the last minute. They do tend to oxidize pretty fast, though.

Honored Contributor

I would do them at the last minute.  If you toss them in lemon juice you are adding lemon juice to your salad which will change the taste.  

Trusted Contributor

Pineapple juice also works.  

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Honored Contributor

@pattypeep Chop up the apples and put in lidded container and fill to brim with cold water and stiore in fridge.make sure all of the pieces are under water.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, everyone. I will probably go ahead and cut up at the last minute; however, my husband likes to cut his apples up, so I followed @dex's suggestion and cut one of his up and covered with water and refrigerated. I will check it tomorrow morning and see how that works. Have a super weekend !!

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Valued Contributor

I know that I leave peeled/and or cut-up potatoes in water to keep from browning, so I wonder if this would work for apples, also?

Honored Contributor

Re: Help With Apples

[ Edited ]

I use Fruit Fresh on cut apples.  I mix a little bit of it In some water, then coat the apples.  I drain the apples, dry them off and they do not change color.

i use Fruit Fresh on peaches too mixed with a little sugar. It's good stuff and it works.

It's usually sold with the canning supplies.  I buy it at the grocery store.

Esteemed Contributor

Update:

I covered my trial apple with water and refrigerated overnight and it turned out great. They were crisp and fresh tasting. Thanks again, everyone.