Honored Contributor

Having some grapes that finally taste good!

Now, if the Ida Red apples would show up on the shelf, and tomatoes on the roadside stands.  It's gloomy, cold again today but the trees are showing signs of green and no white on the ground, so it's still just a matter of time.

What summertime fruits and vegetables do you love?

Respected Contributor

Re: Having some grapes that finally taste good!

It's hard to find grapes that taste good. I remember how grapes tasted when I was young. There was a sorty of "grassy" component to the flavor of green grapes I really loved. (Hard to describe.) Now, grapes merely taste sweet. Occasionally, I get a whiff of that flavor but it's hard to describe. I don't enjoy them as fruit as  much as I did growing up. 

Right now I am enjoying the strawberries. They seem quite good this year. 

Honored Contributor

@Campion, Concord grapes are the best to me, I have green grapes, ok, but not the greatest. You're right.

Honored Contributor

I hesitate to buy green grapes in the store unless I can sneak a taste.  I have bought green grapes that looked beautiful but were bitter tasting.  

Honored Contributor

It's a long time until apple season.  Grapes are too expensive now along with other fruit.  This is a non-season with nothing but expensive imports.  Potatoes are nice.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Has anyone had Cotton Candy Grapes?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Has anyone had Cotton Candy Grapes?

@sidsmom, tell us about those, never heard of those before.

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom 

I bought some Cotton Candy Grapes last year after @momtochloe mentioned them on another thread.  They really do leave the same aftertaste on your tongue that eating cotton candy does.  I never was sure that I really WANTED my grapes to taste like something other than grapes.  I found them at Publix -- they were prepackaged in plastic bags that were marked "Cotton Candy Grapes" on the label.  I don't remember now where they were grown.

Respected Contributor

I haven't tried them yet (the cotton candy.) I was reading an older article about the 100 acres ONLY of CC grapes planted and how they felt they would overcome the tastelessness of green grapes. I miss the grapes i grew up with. They were not tasteless and simply sugary. I don't know why they changed.  

The guys at work LOVE these grapes. We all work in separate offices and meet a few times a year. One meeting, a couple of guys picked up some grapes and washed them for snacking in the car. They were over the moon (guys are not usually voluable about fruit..eh?) They said they couldn't stop eating them.

Yes, you have to "sneak" a taste to tell if the grapes are any good. If I were the grocery store, I'd put some out as samples, but then you have the sample-hounds who come by and graze until they are all gone. So I guess they tolerate the sneak-a-grape. 

Super Contributor

Meat and produce do not taste amything like they did 60 yrears ago.  Perhaps it has something to do with pesticides, generic engineering, and tampering of certain corporations.

The thing that gives life its greatest significance is the capacity to care