Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ham leftovers

[ Edited ]

I too am a big fan of layering leftover ham into scalloped potatoes.  

I sautee some thinly sliced onions. then in assembling I have a layer of potatoes, a layer of onions, a layer of thinly sliced ham pieces, repeat the layers, then a final top layer of potatoes, pour on the sauce, a little cheese and bake.  Yum.  

Super Contributor

I always make what is called a Bauenfrustuck (farmers breakfast) in Germany. I home fry postatoes first and then add onions, ham cubes and heat up. Then I beat a few eggs and add them to the pan and just scramble everthing together. Turns out to be a really good dinner. fyi- I usually use either red or small white potatoes, boil them ahead and when they cool I slice and home fry them in butter.

Contributor

Thank you all for your great ideas!

Respected Contributor

My MIL use to always use leftover ham to make ham and string beans. She would add potatoes cut into bite size pieces, string beans and leftover ham also cut into bite size pieces. For broth she used either chicken or vegetable broth since the ham was already cooked.

Just put everything into a large stock pot and cook till potatoes are tender and beans are cooked. Season to taste.

Amount of potatoes and string beans are up to you. She used a lot of potatoes as well as string beans.

Respected Contributor

These all sound good.   I generally make ham fried rice, no real recipe required.  

Cook rice.  While rice is cooking saute ham, onion, and garlic until onions are translucent.   Drop in scrambled eggs and stir until done.   I mix in a little sesame oil and add the rice.   Soy sauce to taste.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@debic wrote:

These all sound good.   I generally make ham fried rice, no real recipe required.  

Cook rice.  While rice is cooking saute ham, onion, and garlic until onions are translucent.   Drop in scrambled eggs and stir until done.   I mix in a little sesame oil and add the rice.   Soy sauce to taste.

DH would really like this. He loves fried rice and loves ham, winning combo for him. Thanks for posting.

Valued Contributor

debic--
I make a recipe similar to what you do.  I saute onions and celery til tender, then add some diced ham.  Then I add 1 can cream of mushroom soup and 1 can cream of celery soup (or 2 cans of mushroom soup), 1 soup can of milk and some mushrooms if I have them. Heat it all through and serve on top of noodles or rice or toast.

cookin