Honored Contributor

This is delicious but it tastes nothing like the onion dip out of the packet.  If you like that you will not like this!

3 T butter
2-1/2 cups diced onion (2-3 onions)
3/4 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/4 t cayenne pepper
4 oz cream cheese (cold, cut in cubes)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream 
1/2 t onion powder
chives for garnish

Melt butter in skillet over medium heat.  Add onions, salt, pepper, cayenne.  Cook for 5 minutes stirring.  Reduce heat to low and cook for 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally.  Remove from stove and cool.  

Place cream cheese in a bowl and microwave on high 20-30 seconds until soft (do not melt).  Add mayo, sour cream and onion powder and whisk until lump free.  Add the cooled caramelized onions.  Mixed until just combined.  Refrigerate.

Serve at room temp.  Garnish with chives. 

Heat the cream cheese just so you can push it down with the back of a spoon.  

You can serve with crackers, bread, etc.  I buy pita bread and cut in half horizontally. I put in 350 oven for a few minutes to dry out and cut into quarters.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: HOMEMADE FRENCH ONION DIP

@DiAnne...this sounds really good. I've made Alton Brown's dip before and it's very good but yours sounds better! He uses Olive oil instead of butter and just sour cream and mayo. I like your addition of cream cheese and cayenne. I will try this!

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne this is a great recipe that reminds me of a recipe that my mom made that almost caused a fistfight one night (somebody wasn't good at sharing).  I think what made her dip special was the fact that she grated the onion juice and all over the cream cheese and other ingredients so it really infused the onion flavor throughout the dip.

Thanks for posting this, I would love to try it!

Super Contributor

Go DiAnne -- another great looking recipe! Thanks!
Honored Contributor

That looks really good.  Thanks for posting it.  It would be nice for a holiday party.

When I first read it, I thought it said French Onion Soup.  I made an awful face when I saw Mayo and cream cheese an ingredients.

When I got over the shock and looked again, I saw that it was dip.

I better look for some reading glasses.

Valued Contributor

Are you a professional cook?  This is quick and looks delicious.  I can think of many ways to use this recipe. Thanks so much. 

Valued Contributor

Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

It's a good one!

Regular Contributor

DIAnne, Thanks for one more recipe to add to my arsenal!  I am making your pork loin with curry mayo once again for a gathering this weekend.  Your recipes make me look good!  Thanks