Esteemed Contributor

Got a new cookbook yesterday 'cause I want to eat better and figured I'd follow the Mediterranean diet (or at least make one recipe a week!).

The recipes look good - something I would like.  But, one recipe calls for Harissa paste.  Checked this out on amazon and it seems like it would be very spicy.  Since I share my 'people' food with my furbaby, not sure if something that spicey would be good for him.  Any suggestions for a substitute spice?

Also, many recipes call for chickpea flour.  Would it change the recipe too much if I just use all-purpose:  I already have bread flour, cake flour - just don't need a pantry full of flours (which seem to never get used up before expiring).

TIA

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme .............I just googled Harissa paste and google says it is very spicy.  Also, the info said you can substitute other milder pastes.  Just a suggestion but its possible you could leave it out altogether?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I found this recipe for homemade harissa in one of my America's Test Kitchen cookbooks.  It looks to be on the relatively milder side:

6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

2 tbsp minced garlic

3 tbsp paprika

1 tbsp ground coriander

1 tsp ground cumin

3/4 tsp caraway seeds

1/2 tsp salt

Stir everything together in bowl and microwave for a minute, stirring after 30 seconds.

Trusted Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Got a new cookbook yesterday 'cause I want to eat better and figured I'd follow the Mediterranean diet (or at least make one recipe a week!).

The recipes look good - something I would like.  But, one recipe calls for Harissa paste.  Checked this out on amazon and it seems like it would be very spicy.  Since I share my 'people' food with my furbaby, not sure if something that spicey would be good for him.  Any suggestions for a substitute spice?

Also, many recipes call for chickpea flour.  Would it change the recipe too much if I just use all-purpose:  I already have bread flour, cake flour - just don't need a pantry full of flours (which seem to never get used up before expiring).

TIA

@eddyandme 

I'm sure you know this but just in case, garlic and onion are poisonous to dogs and cats.

Esteemed Contributor

@kze wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

TIA

@eddyandme 

I'm sure you know this but just in case, garlic and onion are poisonous to dogs and cats.

Thanx.  I always omit them, that's why I need a substitute seasoning.

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I found this recipe for homemade harissa in one of my America's Test Kitchen cookbooks.  It looks to be on the relatively milder side:

6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

2 tbsp minced garlic

3 tbsp paprika

1 tbsp ground coriander

1 tsp ground cumin

3/4 tsp caraway seeds

1/2 tsp salt

Stir everything together in bowl and microwave for a minute, stirring after 30 seconds.

Thanx @deepwaterdotter 

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@eddyandme .............I just googled Harissa paste and google says it is very spicy.  Also, the info said you can substitute other milder pastes.  Just a suggestion but its possible you could leave it out altogether?

Yes, @Imaoldhippie , I saw one that's supposedly on the milderside  -  no chili peppers  - but don't want it to be too blah.  Thanx.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme   Instead of the paste, you could buy Harissa in ground spice form so you can better control it.

Or if you do like some spice, try sriracha. This also is a spicy number but again you can control how much you like.