Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Has anyone here heard of this or even seen it? I haven't but I like what a report from HuffPo has to say about it.  My RA recommends grass fed meat for me.

This is from a larger article on the site about foods good for us to eat if we're trying to lose weight.

Grass-Fed Butter - For years we’ve been told to avoid butter and opt for olive oil, but new attitudes around fat now say that butter from grass-fed cows can in fact be a healthy part of a diet ― so there’s no need to banish it entirely from your diet. The dairy fat from pastured cows contains high levels of vitamin K, which helps your body use calcium. Plus, there’s the fact that butter makes all our veggies taste so good that we’ll want to eat more of them ― though, even though we hate to say it, let’s do this in moderation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/healthy-foods-to-eat-more_us_586cfde1e4b0de3a08fa38d5

Noel7,

We try to eat only grass-fed beef.  There are lots of health benefits from doing so.

Regarding the butter from grass-fed cows, we also like to get the cultured butter.  It tastes very similar to the butter I had when I was in England several years ago.  I think you will like it.  Being a cultured product, it has the advantages of containing probiotics.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@Noel7

I just looked in my fridge and it says on the package from grass fed cows, Pure Irish Butter.  It is in a gold package.  Not every Costco carries the same items.  I am in Washington State.  I have also noticed Kerrygold butter at my Trader Joe's but of course the price is better at Costco!

Thank you so much @DiAnne !

Honored Contributor

@Writer with Flair wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Has anyone here heard of this or even seen it? I haven't but I like what a report from HuffPo has to say about it.  My RA recommends grass fed meat for me.

This is from a larger article on the site about foods good for us to eat if we're trying to lose weight.

Grass-Fed Butter - For years we’ve been told to avoid butter and opt for olive oil, but new attitudes around fat now say that butter from grass-fed cows can in fact be a healthy part of a diet ― so there’s no need to banish it entirely from your diet. The dairy fat from pastured cows contains high levels of vitamin K, which helps your body use calcium. Plus, there’s the fact that butter makes all our veggies taste so good that we’ll want to eat more of them ― though, even though we hate to say it, let’s do this in moderation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/healthy-foods-to-eat-more_us_586cfde1e4b0de3a08fa38d5

Noel7,

We try to eat only grass-fed beef.  There are lots of health benefits from doing so.

Regarding the butter from grass-fed cows, we also like to get the cultured butter.  It tastes very similar to the butter I had when I was in England several years ago.  I think you will like it.  Being a cultured product, it has the advantages of containing probiotics.

@Writer with Flair

And thank YOU for this information!   I've been in England but I don't remember cultured butter, probably because I wasn't in a grocery store to notice Smiley Happy 

I remember having potted shrimp in solid butter, cold.  That was a surprise, lol.

Honored Contributor

I buy mostly grass and grain fed beef.  The grass fed is a little too lean and sometimes is tougher and stronger flavored than grass and grain fed.  I also buy organic if possible.

We buy organic milk too as well as butter. The best butters have a little higher fat content than some of the cheaper ones, which have less butterfat and more water content.

One problem with all grass fed dairy is that at certain times of the year the products can be really bitter depending on what is in the pasture.  That's especially true in spring.  Often grasses and weeds and new growth gives the milk an off taste, and let's say the cattle very often have "gastric distress" in the spring from new grass.  You have to be VERY careful around them at that time and try to walk far behind them shall I say!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: GRASS FED BUTTER

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Kerrrygold (Ireland)

Anchor (New Zealand)

Organic Valley (USA)

All can be found in most healthier markets such as Whole Foods.

But do your research:  some grass fed cows are fed grains in the winter instead of grass. 

Thanks, @Cakers3

I don't get butter often but I have bought Kerrygold a couple of times at Trader Joe's.  Never noticed if it said grass fed, but I'll look. 

@Noel7 @Cakers3You can see on the pic I posted it says milk from grass fed cows across the top of the label above the pic of the cow.

At least with KerryGold butter I'm eating what I call butter compared to what they call butter they sell in the gorcery store.

They also sell meat from grass fed cows which are not fed grass for the full 12 months. If there is fat in the meat it was fed grain at the end or it would have no fat & be dry.

Honored Contributor

The only place they sell Kerry Gold here is at Wal-Mart. After I found it there they quit stocking it. I had already stocked up & cut the bars in half, vacuumed sealed & put in the freezer. I was going to buy some each time I went to Wal-Mart but it was out of stock. Finally got with the manager & was told they quit stocking it because it was not selling. I told him his inventory showed it was not selling because they did not have any in stock to sell. It took almost 6 mos for him to get it back in inventory. I was persistent. Glad I had plenty in the freezer. I buy several bars each time I go. I don't want to run out. If your Wal-Mart does not carry it just ask the store manager to stock it. It's easier for them if you have the bar code number they can order by.

I was buying from a local farmer or the Organic Valley before I came across Kerry Gold.

I see they now have the butter in 2 sticks instead of 1 large block of butter. I'm glad they did this. It will make it easier to use when baking plus easier for me to freeze.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Kerrrygold (Ireland)

Anchor (New Zealand)

Organic Valley (USA)

All can be found in most healthier markets such as Whole Foods.

But do your research:  some grass fed cows are fed grains in the winter instead of grass. 

Thanks, @Cakers3

I don't get butter often but I have bought Kerrygold a couple of times at Trader Joe's.  Never noticed if it said grass fed, but I'll look. 

@Noel7 @Cakers3You can see on the pic I posted it says milk from grass fed cows across the top of the label above the pic of the cow.

At least with KerryGold butter I'm eating what I call butter compared to what they call butter they sell in the gorcery store.

They also sell meat from grass fed cows which are not fed grass for the full 12 months. If there is fat in the meat it was fed grain at the end or it would have no fat & be dry.

Hi @Nightowlz

Yes, I will look for the picture of the cow eating grass to make sure.

I eat grass fed beef about every other week, as per doctor's orders.  I can't say I enjoy it all that much.  I just get the hamburger and make it into a patty for myself.  It can be dry and kind of gritty sometimes, but it has helped me with anemia.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz

We don't have a Walmart anywhere near but I can get Kerrygold at Trader Joe's.

Respected Contributor

I buy both Organic Valley & Horizon Organic butter- it's SO DELICIOUS!

Honored Contributor

Re: GRASS FED BUTTER

[ Edited ]

Most organic butter is grass fed.  Kerrygold is great butter, but I prefer usa butter. I always support American farmers.  A great, rich butter is Organic Straus.  I am sure it has the highest butter fat, but it is great.  Always serve at room temp for flavor.  I also love Organic Valley.  Trader Joes has a great organic butter.  I also prefer no salted.  

I don,t know what precautions they have to take to make sure the butter is organic cause it is grass they are eating.  They have to secure pastures from contaminants   I thought 

maybe to be labeled grass fed, cows are fed a certain percentage of their diet to be grass.  They would have to eat other food or they couldnt survive well. I know in winter they would have to eat hay.  

I guess what I am blathering on about is, a totally grass fed cow would not be a nutritionally  fed cow.  You would have to give to give the animal other food.  If not, it is like raising veal.