Occasional Contributor

I don't know if the cows are grass fed or not, but I buy Amish butter. Doesn't have all the preservatives. Flavor is wonderful! I buy it at Harris Teeter. Comes in a 2 pound log.

Honored Contributor

My understanding of grassfed cows from the local farmer where I get my eggs and beef is that they are primarily grass/hay grazers and are supplemented with non-GMO/vegetarian grains, but, not grain finished.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Kerrygold butter is delicious.  My local store doesn't always have it though.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

Most organic butter is grass fed.  Kerrygold is great butter, but I prefer usa butter. I always support American farmers.  A great, rich butter is Organic Straus.  I am sure it has the highest butter fat, but it is great.  Always serve at room temp for flavor.  I also love Organic Valley.  Trader Joes has a great organic butter.  I also prefer no salted.  

I don,t know what precautions they have to take to make sure the butter is organic cause it is grass they are eating.  They have to secure pastures from contaminants   I thought 

maybe to be labeled grass fed, cows are fed a certain percentage of their diet to be grass.  They would have to eat other food or they couldnt survive well. I know in winter they would have to eat hay.  

I guess what I am blathering on about is, a totally grass fed cow would not be a nutritionally  fed cow.  You would have to give to give the animal other food.  If not, it is like raising veal.

Hi @shoekitty

I prefer no salt butter, too.  I'll use some salt in a recipe if it calls for it, but I don't add salt to my food.

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

My understanding of grassfed cows from the local farmer where I get my eggs and beef is that they are primarily grass/hay grazers and are supplemented with non-GMO/vegetarian grains, but, not grain finished.

@VaBelle35

Here's a major differences between grass fed beef and conventionally fed beef:

Most cows start out living similar lives.

The calves are born in the spring, drink milk from their mothers and are then allowed to roam free and eat grass, shrubs or whatever edible plants they find in their environment.

This continues for about 6 to 12 months. After that, the “conventionally” raised cows are moved to feedlots.

Large feedlots are called Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs), which tend to be really nasty places, one of the few things the vegans and I agree on.

There, the cows are rapidly fattened up with grain-based feeds, usually made with a base of soy or corn.

The conventionally raised cows are often given drugs and hormones to grow faster, as well as antibiotics to survive the unsanitary living conditions.

Compare that to grass-fed cows, which may continue to live on grassland for the remainder of their lives.

https://authoritynutrition.com/grass-fed-vs-grain-fed-beef/