Super Contributor

I have been serving asparagus soup with Easter dinner for several years now and really enjoy it, as do my guests. However, my previous recipe from Trader Joe's called for their canned soup, but their canned soup did not appear in the stores this year. So, I went looking for a recipe, and found this one. The method is not what I'd expect, but I like to fix things exactly according to the recipe the first time around, so that I know if I want to tweak it or not, and where I want to tweak it. I like this without any tweaking. I doubled the recipe. It has a really nice fresh taste, and is a pretty green.

Fresh Asparagus Soup

1 lb fresh asparagus
3/4 c chopped onion
1/2 c chicken broth
1 T butter
2 T all-purpose flour
1 t salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
1 1/4 c vegetable broth
1 c milk
1/2 c yogurt
1 t lemon juice
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese

Place asparagus and onion in a saucepan with 1/2 c chicken broth. Bring the broth to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until the vegetables are tender.

Reserve a few asparagus tips for garnish. Place remaining vegetable mixture in an electric blender and puree until smooth.

Melt butter in the pan that was used for simmering the asparagus and onions. Stir while sprinkling flour, salt, and pepper into the butter. Do not let the flour brown. Allow the mixture to cook only 2 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 1/4 c broth and increase the heat. Continue stirring until the mixture comes to a boil.

Stir the vegetable puree and milk into the saucepan. Whisk yogurt into the mixture, followed by lemon juice. Stir until heated through, then ladle into bowls. Garnish with reserved asparagus tips. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.