Occasional Contributor

Any tips on how to freeze corn on the cob?

Honored Contributor

Re: Freezing corn on the cob

I think you just need to blanch them for a few minutes, put into ice water and then freezer bags. Thats the way we did it when I was a kid.

Respected Contributor

Frozen fresh corn comes out mushy when you freeze it. I froze fresh corn one year and when I wanted to use it in the cold, dark winter, it was mushy. Not very good. I'd do some research on this.

Honored Contributor

I freeze an average of 8-10 dozen ears of corn every summer; it is our vegetable of choice, and we use it up before spring. I clean my corn, drop it into boiling water for 2 minutes, then plunge into ice cold water until it is cool. I stand the ears of corn in my dish drainer, until the water drains off, then put in gallon size freezer bags and stack in the freezer. Never had a problem with this method. The key to remember when you get ready to cook the frozen corn, is that it is already precooked, so I either steam it, or drop in boiling water for another 2-3 minutes.

Honored Contributor

Yes frozen corn on the cob does tend to get mushy. It's best to cut it off. http://www.pickyourown.org/freezingcorn.htm