Respected Contributor

My family loves this recipe.  It is so very good on a cold day.  Thought I would share it.

1 1/2 lbs. stew meat

2 ribs of celery, diced

2 carrots, sliced

2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced

1 medium onion, chopped

other vegetables as desired

1 can of tomato soup

1 can water

2 Tblsp. Minute Tapioca or Cornstartch

1/2 pkg. dry onion soup 

Put all ingredients except onion soup mix in a greased casserole.  Use whatever vegetables your family likes.  Sprinkle onion soup mix over the top.  Put foil over top and then a lid on the casserole dish. Bake at 325 degrees for 3 hours.  Needs no watching.

Serves 6

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

@4kitties  Sounds good.  I guess I could make this in a slow cooker.  Is the stew very salty?  I hate to use the dry onion soup for that reason.

Respected Contributor

It does not seem salty to me Katie.  I do have the nutrition info for this recipe.

Per serving:  271 calories

28 grams protein

5.4 grams fat

27.3 grams carbs

2.8 grams fiber

44 milligrams cholesterol

522 milligrams sodium

Honored Contributor

I do a pot roast (chuck roast),  with the vegetables very similar to this.

I do cut the onion into large wedges so it doesn't get lost. In place of the onion soup mix, I use an additional can of tomato soup, a half can of water and garlic.  It doesn't taste like tomato soup at all.  Very good!

Respected Contributor

ECBG you are right.  The "gravy" doesn't taste like tomato soup at all after it has cooked.  You know, I have never thought to cook my pot roast this way.  Thanks for the new idea!  

Respected Contributor

Yesterday, I bought a nice chuck roast-had to take out a second mortgage to finance it (boy has beef gone up), but I think this recipe will do it justice.  The only addition I plan on adding is a ton of mushrooms!

ECBG, I make very few savory dishes without onions and garlic. Sodium and sugar restrictions are one thing, but IF I couldn't have onions and garlic, my culinary life would be over.  I love your idea of quartering onions:  before I brown the roast, I'm going to caramelized the quarters-or attempt to. I usually caramelize onions low and slow, so my quarters might fall apart, but I know this is going to be good!

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

I made this in my Instant Pot and switched out the soup for stock and canned chopped tomatoes.  I added the mushrooms and onions while the meat was cooking (45 minutes) did a quick release and added new potatoes and whole carrots and cooked a further 15 minutes on manual: the vegetables were amazing because they didn't get cooked to mush.

Poodlepet2