Respected Contributor

Foolproof recipe for homemade alfredo sauce?

Don't know why, but I'm afraid of trying alfredo sauce.  However, I've never tried a jarred version I like.  I realize freshly grated parm is the best (no green jar!).

Any recipes or suggestions would be appreciated!

Denise
Honored Contributor

Re: Foolproof recipe for homemade alfredo sauce?

Don't be afraid. It's one of the easiest sauces to make.  

Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a pan. (I also add grated garlic, but it's fine without it.)

Stir in 1 cup heavy cream and 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper.

When the cream is warm, stir in 3/4 c grated parmesan.

It's that easy.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I don't like jarred Alfredo sauce at all. There's something funky about it and to me, it doesn't  even come close to tasting like Alfredo   Years ago I found a copycat recipe online for Olive Garden's sauce and I've been using it since.  I don't cheat on the ingredients.  It's real butter, real heavy cream, etc. so I only make it a few times a year. I'm away from home at the moment so I can't post the recipe.  Let me know if you can't find it and I'll get it for you when I get back.  If should be pretty easy for you to find it though. 

Honored Contributor

Here is the copycat recipe for the Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce:

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Olive-Garden-Alfredo-Pasta-Copycat-Recipe.html

It's virtually identical to house_cat's.  I am so glad you asked this question.  I love alfredo sauce but thought it would be tough to make.  I can't wait to try this, thanks ladies!

Honored Contributor

I got this recipe in my morning emails that features an easy alfredo sauce made with cream cheese and milk for those that may be interested:

http://www.centercutcook.com/shrimp-fetuccini-alfredo/

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch -- I hope you will post the recipe you've tried when you have time, because my search brought up oodles of "Copycat Olive Garden Fettuccine Alfredo" recipes and all were different.  About half used cream cheese, the other half didn't.

Here's one of them -- I have NOT tried it, but the name of the site sounds promising.

http://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2014/02/olive-garden-copycat-alfredo-sauce-recipe.html

Olive Garden Copycat Alfredo Sauce

The decadent creamy Alfredo sauce from Olive Garden can now be enjoyed in your own home with this scrumptious copycat recipe loaded with cheese, cream and a special ingredient to really take it over the top. My family and I really enjoy the dishes at some of our favorite restaurants.  However we do not love eating out.  So, I take some of our favorite recipes and recreate them so we can enjoy them at home. Last time we polled our Facebook fans, our number 1 requested copycat was Olive Garden's Alfredo Sauce.  Being one of Chad's favorites, we absolutely knew this needed to be our next copycat recipe that we brought you.

Alfredo sauce is a white cheese sauce made with Parmesan cheese.  But this Olive Garden copycat is really done right with the addition of egg yolks to give it an incredible richness that will surprise your taste buds! With love from our kitchen table to yours!  XO

Olive Garden Copycat Alfredo Sauce

2 cups half and half (or 1 cup milk and 1 cup heavy cream)
1 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
½ cup fresh shredded Romano cheese
4 large egg yolks
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or white)

In a medium heat safe bowl, whisk egg yolks until lightened in color.  Set aside.

Whisk together butter, garlic and half & half, bring to a simmer, in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Add cheeses and whisk to combine.  Remove from heat. 

Slowly pour 1 cup of cheese mixture into egg yolks, while  whisking.  Be careful to pour slowly and whisk while pouring to prevent the eggs from scrambling. Pour egg mixture back into saucepan over low heat and whisk until well combined.  Add salt and pepper. 

Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.  Alfredo sauce will thicken as it cools. Serve and enjoy!

Honored Contributor

@Honeybit  I will. I know it has butter, heavy cream, cream cheese, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese.  I just can't remember the amounts.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Honeybit

Here is the copycat recipe from Todd Wilburs site and it's very good! There are 200 5 star reviews.

I'm not crazy about the recipes that use cream cheese personally, and this one doesn't.

I did take most reviewers advice and increased the cheese to 1 cup and you have to use the real stuff, not the green can.

I actually prefer to use 1/2 cup parmesan and 1/2 cup romano cheese.

Also the recipe says to simmer 8 minutes or till thick and it takes at least 25-30 minutes to thicken.

Heres an updated version of the Olive Garden Alfredo Pasta recipe from Top Secret Restaurant Recipes that includes more grated Parmesan cheese and fresh garlic instead of garlic powder. You'll find this sauce thickens easier and has an improved Olive Garden taste. Just be sure not to crank the heat up too high when simmering the sauce or it could break, resulted in a not-so-creamy, curdled Alfredo.

Source: "Top Secret Restaurant Recipes" by Todd Wilbur.

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
pinch salt
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 12-ounce box fettuccine pasta
(or your choice of pasta)

1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium/low heat.

2. Add the garlic, cream, pepper and salt, and bring mixture to a simmer. Turn the heat down if the mixture reaches a rapid boil or it could boil over. You just want a simmer. Add the cheese, and continue to simmer sauce for 8 minutes or until thick.

3. While sauce cooks, bring 4 to 6 quarts of water to a boil and add the pasta. Cook pasta for about 12 minutes or until done, then drain it.

4. Spoon pasta onto serving plates with Alfredo sauce poured over the top.

Makes 2 to 3 large servings.

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Olive-Garden-Alfredo-Pasta-Copycat-Recipe.html

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Linked below  is a heavily advertised and recent recipe from Hillshire Farm meat company.  I've made it twice with the smoked sausage it calls for.  One day, I'm going to substitute chicken for the sausage.   

The Cajun seasoning makes it kind of special. 

It's true.........the alfredo sauce is very easy to make and virtually foolproof.  Of course, use a good-quality, freshly grated Parmesan or another similar cheese or mix of cheese.

Also, I suggest slightly cutting down the amount of pasta you cook, because this seems to make an awful lot.  (I used small penne.)  I do add the peas that the recipe suggests, and once I chopped a few Campari tomatoes and added them to the sauce before it thickened. 

Notice this recipe is much simpler and has fewer ingredients  than the others you usually see for alfredo sauce. 

http://www.hillshirefarm.com/recipes/hillshire-farm-sausage-alfredo.aspx

Valued Contributor

This is from their site:

Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serving size: 4

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup imported Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup imported Romano cheese, grated
6 egg yolks from fresh jumbo eggs
Salt and black pepper to taste

PROCEDURES
HEAT milk and cream in a heavy bottom saucepan until it begins to simmer.

Turn off heat. Slowly whip in cheese, then remove from heat.

PLACE egg yolks in a separate bowl and slowly whip in a portion of the hot milk and cream mixture. Slowly add egg yolk mixture back into remaining cream mixture. Place back on very low heat and continually stir until simmering. Take sauce off heat so it thickens. (This will increase temperature of egg yolks, known as tempering).

SEASON to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve over your favorite pasta.