Respected Contributor

Flank Steak with Garlic Wine Sauce

This is tonight's dinner.  In preparation, I've roasted the head of garlic and the aroma has filled the house.  Heady stuff.  Woman Happy

Flank Steak with Garlic Wine Sauce 

Great on a cold day.  For best results, the meat should be rare.

1 medium head garlic
1 ½ pounds flank steak
salt to taste
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
4 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 cup dry red wine

Cut head of garlic in half, place on a square of foil, and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap. Bake at 400º for 45 minutes. Squeeze roasted garlic cloves out of skins, and mash into a puree. Set aside.

Sprinkle steak with salt and a generous amount of freshly ground pepper.

Heat a large heavy skillet over medium high heat, but do not add fat. When hot, cook seasoned steak until seared and well browned on both sides, about a minute per side. Reduce heat to medium, and add 2 Tablespoons of the butter. Continue to cook for 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove meat, and keep warm.2

Pour off the fat in the skillet, and add the scallions and red wine.  Bring to a boil, and whisk in the garlic puree.  Boil until the wine is reduced by half, and is thick and syrupy.  As it boils, scrape up browned bits with a wooden spoon. Stir in the meat juices that have accumulated under the steak. Boil for another second or so. Remove from the heat, and stir in the remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter until it is incorporated into the wine sauce.

Quickly slice the meat against the grain, into thin strips. Arrange on a hot platter, and pour the sauce down the center of the slices. Serve at once.

Mrs. G's notes:

For a red wine with this, we like Syrah or a blend of Syrah and Cabernet.  

Side dishes: Salad and whole mushrooms sautéed in clarified butter

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Re: Flank Steak with Garlic Wine Sauce

To avoid repetition, I search for recipes I have already posted before sharing. I hope this is not considered "bumping."  That is not my intent; rather, I don't see reason to take up more 'space' with a repeated thread. 

It's been a almost a year since we last enjoyed this meal, but it will be dinner tonight, complete with the sides mentioned in the footnotes.

Respected Contributor

Hello, G!!

The minute I clicked on the recipe forum & saw the topic of this post, I knew it was yours. Smiley Happy

I've had a hankering for steak lately, & this sounds just perfect.

TYVM!

Muddling through...
Trusted Contributor

@IamMrsGThis is something that looks like I can cook in the Air Fryer, and then add in the sauce....I always love your recipes and wine suggestions.....Woman Happy

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Esteemed Contributor

Hello, Dear Friend, welcome back!  Hope all is well with you.  You have been missed.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG wrote:

To avoid repetition, I search for recipes I have already posted before sharing. I hope this is not considered "bumping."  That is not my intent; rather, I don't see reason to take up more 'space' with a repeated thread. 

It's been a almost a year since we last enjoyed this meal, but it will be dinner tonight, complete with the sides mentioned in the footnotes.

Don't worry about repetition of recipes.  One poster posted the same one several times so I decided to try it.  It was really delicious.  

Sometimes it is difficult to locate one on here when you want it, so keep repeating!  If they are your's, we know they are good!

Respected Contributor

@forrestwolf,  your long absence has been noticed.  I agree with @Zhills in saying, "Welcome Back."  I sincerely hope all is well with you and that you are back to stay among us.  

Honored Contributor

IamMrsG...Thanks for sharing your good recipes with us.  And, I always enjoy your notes and wine suggestions too!

forrestwolf......another....Welcome Back to Recipe Swap!