Respected Contributor

Re: Dumb question about olive oil

Here's what our government food gurus say about consuming oil in the diet..........

Oils

Healthy intake: Oils are fats that contain a high percentage of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats and are liquid at room temperature. Although they are not a food group, oils are emphasized as part of healthy eating patterns because they are the major source of essential fatty acids and vitamin E. Commonly consumed oils extracted from plants include canola, corn, olive, peanut, safflower, soybean, and sunflower oils. Oils also are naturally present in nuts, seeds, seafood, olives, and avocados. The fat in some tropical plants, such as coconut oil, palm kernel oil, and palm oil, are not included in the oils category because they do not resemble other oils in their composition. Specifically, they contain a higher percentage of saturated fats than other oils (see Dietary Fats: The Basics call-out box). The recommendation for oils in the Healthy U.S.-Style Eating Pattern at the 2,000-calorie level is 27 g (about 5 teaspoons) per day.

Key nutrient contributions: Oils provide essential fatty acids and vitamin E.

Considerations: Oils are part of healthy eating patterns, but because they are a concentrated source of calories, the amount consumed should be within the AMDR for total fats without exceeding calorie limits. Oils should replace solid fats rather than being added to the diet. More information on types of fats is provided in the Dietary Fats: The Basics call-out box, and information on the relationship between dietary fats and health is discussed in the Saturated Fats, Trans Fats, and Cholesterol section, below.

Honored Contributor

For many, the first sign of heart disease...IS a heart attack/stroke.

If not that direct, signs of erectile dysfunction, achy joints, tired all the time, just not feeling good....are indications your body is trying to tell you something.  Oil is very inflammatory.  I guess I live too active of a lifestyle to be weighed down with long recovery times. 

Incessantly counting calories for the rest of my life?  Sounds like a dreary way to live.  Oil is an unnecessary food item...high in calories & low in nutrients.  Why would someone drink oil?  

Fruits, vegetables, beans, potatoes, rice?  Eat to your heart's content..and live my life abundantly without calorie restriction.  It's a beautiful, cheap, ethically & environmentally sound way to live!  Just makes common sense. 

Respected Contributor

Well, I doubt many people "drink oil".

And don't assume a "dreary" lifestyle of calorie  restriction.  For breakfast this morning, I had three pieces of wheat toast with butter and 3 deviled egg halves (made with mayo and mustard)

I haven't eaten a thing since then, however, and won't until dinner.  And by the way, a large porterhouse steak is  going on our grill for dinner tonight. 

Not too dreary.  Keeping track of calories has become subconscious after learning the calorie count of most foods by heart many many years ago.  I don't always LIMIT calories, I just know what I'm consuming and probably make some subconscious decisions every now and then about when to cut back.

Trusted Contributor

@novamc1

@sidsmom

http://criticalhealthnews.com/health-news/216-dr-wallach-s-ten-bad-foods-and-good-foods

I like listening to the point of views of Drs. Wallach and Glidden.

I enjoy hearing their take on nutritionI although I feel they are a little extreme at times. There is no way I could cut out all they declare as bad foods.

And yes, they sell supplements but have stated they make no profit on them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

They sell supplements but have stated they make no profit on them?

Doesn't that explain a lot of things about extreme dietary recommendations? It strains credibility to think that people are working in labs to compile vitamin/mineral/health supplements and touting  their benefits to the uneducated as a free public service.

The paid spokesmen might not be making profits from the sales of suppplements, but SOMEBODY IS.  And even those spokespeople are not working for free.

Even the largest, best-funded studies of dietary effects on health -- by government agencies (such as The National Institutes of Health), universities and other entities-- can never get all the answers.  That is why nutritional and dietary guidelines change ALL the time.  Remember when eggs were supposedly  cholesterol bombs but later considered healthful?  Or when  bean/alfalfa sprouts were once good "health food fads" and later found to be harmful? 

The reason studies cannot tell the whole story is pretty simple.  How do you corral enough human subjects into a room for many years, totally control their diet, know everything about their genetic makeup and lifestyle,  and reach a generalized conclusion that would benefit the public?

In a previous post, @sidsmom advised using "common sense."  I agree that common sense is a good guide  when reviewing extreme claims about food and its effect on individual human health.

If anyone who follows bizarre dietary rules and relies on  "revolutionary"  suppplements winds up living longer than I do,  I hope they will let me know (and I'm only half-joking when I write that).