Honored Contributor

Re: Dumb question about olive oil

@Mominohio wrote:

@debic   @sandraskates   @Abrowneyegirl

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I will have to dispose of this bottle, and I was really looking forward to trying it. It was sent by my cousin (from a specialty shop) who is a wonderful cook, so I was looking forward to using it.

The gift basket also contained pesto, and that was a first for us as well. We have been enjoying that, anyway, and I may pick up a bottle of the same olive oil she sent, next time I'm in the area where she purchased this set.

I hope you try olive oil, it's great for cooking and especially salad dressing.

It's heart healthy and considered a good fat for us.  Other good fats would include that found in avocados, walnuts, etc.

Honored Contributor

ps You don't have to spend a fortune for a good olive oil, Trader Joe's has several that are good.

We like the 100% Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil from there.

Trusted Contributor

And if you don't like the first brand you buy, try another. Some olive oils have a stronger taste to them, others are milder. There are even flavored specialty olive oils.

I'm a simple person when it comes to olive oil: I like Star and California Olive Ranch brands that is found in the grocery stores for salads. For cooking I buy the WalMart house brand.

I've heard the Costco house brand is good but I haven't tried it.

Honored Contributor

You'd be better off not venturing into the 'oil pit'.

Olive oil is a processed food....and processed food is never good for you.

Cooking?  Just water sauté.

Dressings?   Just use whole foods like avocados, nuts/seeds to make creamy dressings.

SO much fat, SO little flavor, SO calorie dense for such a small amount.  And no one just uses the recommended serving of a tablespoon.

If one believes there are 'magic benefits' in processed oil....just eat the real food.  Coconut oil?  Eat coconuts. Corn oil? Eat corn. Olive oil?  Eat olives.  

Virgin, extra virgin, triple virgin, hand-picked from virgins (!)...oil is harmful to our Endothelium, arterial system.   Causes so much inflammation...it's crazy.

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom - a quick comment on your post:

While I'm not planning on giving up my olive or coconut oils (that's all I use these days), I just wanted to say that I recently heard a guest on a radio show I listen to say the same thing you posted.

This could a whole other discussion thread!

Respected Contributor

@sandraskates

@sidsmom

....and the source for all this "expert" nutrition information is.........what..... or where?

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@debic   @sandraskates   @Abrowneyegirl

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I will have to dispose of this bottle, and I was really looking forward to trying it. It was sent by my cousin (from a specialty shop) who is a wonderful cook, so I was looking forward to using it.

The gift basket also contained pesto, and that was a first for us as well. We have been enjoying that, anyway, and I may pick up a bottle of the same olive oil she sent, next time I'm in the area where she purchased this set.

CONTACT THE SHOP AND TELL THEM.  They very well may replace it.  Send them pictures!  Or take it back!

Valued Contributor

@sidsmom   I have never heard olive oil described as a "Processed food".  Thank you!  This is very interesting and gives me something to think about.  I just watched a 60 Minute segment where they suggested the Italian mafia is doctoring up oil and selling it to us! It isn't even oil from an olive!!! The percentage rate of "fake" olive oil was reported as being very high in the US.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 wrote:

@sandraskates

@sidsmom

....and the source for all this "expert" nutrition information is.........what..... or where?

@novamc1

There are so many resources...too many to mention in this thread.

If all the information here and on 'Internet.com' isn't enough, just use common sense:

Fat is 9 calories per gram

Carbohydrate & Protein is only 4 calories per gram

Fat is an extremely Calorie Dense food...with little taste & nutrient value.

Want olive oil?  Eat olives!

It takes close to 30 olives to reach the fat/calorie content of 1T of olive oil...and olives have all the vitamins/minerals/fiber straight oil doesn't have. 

Fat, like salt & sugar, is RARELY eaten alone.

Meat?  Fat and salt

Cheese?  Fat and salt

Eggs?  Fat and salt

Chocolate?  Fat and sugar

Carbohydrate/Protein/Fat is in every food item on Earth.   We get enough fats in our diet without adding overt fats.  Yes, even iceberg lettuce has fats.

Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn (Cleveland Clinic-retired)
http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/faq/

Dr. Michael Greger, author of "How Not to Die" & nutrition facts.org:
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/extra-virgin-olive-oil-vs-nuts/

Forks Over Knives comprised of:
Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn
Dr. T. Colin Campbell
Dr. John McDougall
Dr. Terry Mason
Dr. Neal Barnard
Jeff Novick, MS, RD, LD, LN
PCRM.org

http://www.forksoverknives.com/nutrition-questions/#why-should-i-avoid-oil-isnt-oil-healthy

Eating You Alive (movie trailer):
http://youtu.be/BZJLsDEIx-M

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

After reading about and studying nutrition with great interest since the 1970s,  I believe a great deal of skepticism should  be applied to drastic claims about which foods are good and which are not.

What I have learned and applied daily, to some degree, since then is to watch one's calorie intake,  lay off too many carbs, avoid sugar, eat plenty of protein, do NOT avoid eggs (which contain lecithin which helps break up cholesterol in the bloodstream), and I could go on forever.

In  my not-so-uneducated opinion,  drastic claims about foods that will PREVENT sickness and SPECIFIC foods that we ALL need to eat if we expect to remain healthy are suspect on their face.  They usually.....eventually....get debunked by someone, somewhere, some time---and the debunking will continue.

The latest, almost comical, turn in the thinking and research about nutrition and health can be found on the federal government's website

http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines

It's comical in that the guidelines are titled as being for "2015-2020" and that these latest words of wisdom are the government's 8th Edition of such wisdom.  Really now............are we supposed to check back in  5 years to get the next big scoop? 

Just another example of our  tax dollars at work there. unfortunately.

What I do know about diet  is how it affects or does not seem to affect me, personally.

My HDL levels are abnormally high to the constant surprise of my doctor, while my triglycerides and LDL are in normal ranges.  I hate sweet foods and desserts, do not eat excessive carbs, but take no special precautions to avoid eggs, cheese,  meats, butter, oils, caffeine and many other foods that might show up on some expert's "bad list".  I do count calories and have unconsciously, by habit, estimated my intake ever since since I was a young woman.

My husband eats tons of sweets (ice cream, cookies, candy) and all the eggs, meat and butter you can imagine for one person, but he is not on any cholesterol-lowering drugs, has not been diagnosed with heart disease. He does have some health problems , but none that anyone has claimed is due directly to diet.

I would not presume to tell other people from my soapbox what they should or should not consume, when I know good and well that ANY such strident claim is likely to be disproven by someone else later.  The only thing it would accomplish is to make me look like a nagging old fool in the end.