Honored Contributor

Dumb question about olive oil

I have never purchased or used olive oil. But, I was given a gift set this holiday season that included a bottle of it.

I set the bottle on the counter, and then noticed that it left a ring. Wiped the bottle down good, and the next day, same thing. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that there was a trail down the bottle from the top. It is sealed with a gold foil wrapper that has not been breached.

Can anyone tell me if this is 'normal' or has this bottle not been sealed correctly?

I thought I had read that olive oil can go bad rather quickly, and if this one was maybe not sealed properly, I don't want to use it. I have no frame of reference for this, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Respected Contributor

Re: Dumb question about olive oil

No this not normal, the bottle must not be sealed properly.

FYI- when oil goes "bad" it goes rancid, the smell is almost bitter to the nose.  Good olive oil should be fruity or grassy.

Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

No this not normal, the bottle must not be sealed properly.

FYI- when oil goes "bad" it goes rancid, the smell is almost bitter to the nose.  Good olive oil should be fruity or grassy.

Yupp, what she said!

But @Mominohio you should try olive oil sometime. It's good stuff. And there are many different varieties so if you don't like one kind / brand, you might like another.

Respected Contributor

Well it can and does happen, but it's not normal.   Possibly happened in processing?    Personally I think it's an overrated and under flavored product.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@debic   @sandraskates   @Abrowneyegirl

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I will have to dispose of this bottle, and I was really looking forward to trying it. It was sent by my cousin (from a specialty shop) who is a wonderful cook, so I was looking forward to using it.

The gift basket also contained pesto, and that was a first for us as well. We have been enjoying that, anyway, and I may pick up a bottle of the same olive oil she sent, next time I'm in the area where she purchased this set.

Respected Contributor

Well you could smell it and see if it's rancid.  You will know.  

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I have never purchased or used olive oil. But, I was given a gift set this holiday season that included a bottle of it.

I set the bottle on the counter, and then noticed that it left a ring. Wiped the bottle down good, and the next day, same thing. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that there was a trail down the bottle from the top. It is sealed with a gold foil wrapper that has not been breached.

Can anyone tell me if this is 'normal' or has this bottle not been sealed correctly?

I thought I had read that olive oil can go bad rather quickly, and if this one was maybe not sealed properly, I don't want to use it. I have no frame of reference for this, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

@Mominohio  Extra virgin olive oil is the best and it is the only oil I use unless I deep fry, and then I use canola.  It does wonders for soup, just drizzle it over the top and mix in. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio

The seal has been breached, so you must throw it away.  It is now contaminated.

I love olive oil.  On those occasions when I have an egg on toast in the morning, I use a bit of olive oil in my small frying pan. 

I've also gravitated to a number of Lidia Bastianich's recipes, all of which use olive oil, as do every Italian recipe I've used or viewed..

Three things:

1. It's actually good for you.

2.  Rule: Not an oil to be used at high temp: and,

3.  Simple first use:  Take one of your small bottles and pour it into a dish, which then goes on the coffee table.  Add just a tic of garlic or red pepper flakes, if you wish.  Now, take a loaf of sourdough French bread and slice into small chunky bits the size of half of your thumb or larger.  Dip bread into the olive oil an enjoy as an appetizer.

p.s.  Darker is better.  If you have a Trader Joe's near by, try their Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  It's nicely priced.  (The price of extra virgin olive oil can vary widely, as can the quality.)

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@debic   @sandraskates   @Abrowneyegirl

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I will have to dispose of this bottle, and I was really looking forward to trying it. It was sent by my cousin (from a specialty shop) who is a wonderful cook, so I was looking forward to using it.

The gift basket also contained pesto, and that was a first for us as well. We have been enjoying that, anyway, and I may pick up a bottle of the same olive oil she sent, next time I'm in the area where she purchased this set.

@Mominohio I don't know if you have disposed of the bottle yet but I just wanted you to know I purchased a bottle from a special olive oil store last year.

They heat seal the plastic around the top of the bottle and cork but before I could open it to use it some of the oil did leak a bit.  I know there is nothing wrong with the oil as I just purchased it (bacon infused, yum) and it was perfect when I did open and use it.

Perhaps in transport it may have gotten jostled a bit (mine tipped over in the car even though I thought I had it wedged in pretty good).  If you still have it you may want to smell and taste it because as other's have said you will know immediately if the oil has gone bad.

There is nothing better than a good olive oil!

Respected Contributor

I'd throw it away.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."