Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Rinse The Corn Beef Several Times Before Cooking?

Sometimes I do. I guess it just depends. It is slimy when it comes out of the package.

Respected Contributor

Thank you everyone, much appreciated!!

Valued Contributor

I have always rinsed the corned beef and boiled for a few minutes then simmered on the stove for 20 minutes 2 times to ensure all the salt is removed.

Cured meats hold salt whether they taste salty or not so I rather try and remove the nitrates and salt as best as I can before cooking and serving corned beef.

I also buy authentic deli real corned beef from Jewish Deli's and they already cure it themselves, and serve it, so it is never too salty.

Respected Contributor

My hint that I do is and learned the hard way years ago I make a sachet out of the pickling spices, I take 3 layers of cheese cloth , that you can buy in the spice isle and cut it about a 5 inch square and tie it with unwaxed dental floss, tie it tight as you can and  place your packet of pickling spices in it , I set it in a small bowl, paper cup gather it up and then tie the cheese cloth. And when the beef is finished cooking just fish it out and that way its not a mess all over the food.

Respected Contributor

Yum my favorite day, can't weight. First time to use my instant pot.Or maybe just use my slow cooker."Happy St. Patrick's Day "

Respected Contributor

The package says that if you rinse off the meat you are rinsing a lot of the flavor away. So I quit doing that years ago and they were right.

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ 

I always rinse my corned beef before cooking.  I cut large chunks of carrots and onion and place them on the bottom of my slow cooker/nesco roaster (which I use on slow cooker mode).   I place the corned beef on top after I rub the spices into it, and add enough Guinness to cover.   I cook about 6-7 hours until done ( it will fall apart easily when done).   Sometimes about an hour before done, I add more carrots and onion.   Even if I serve the carrots and onion that cooked the full time with the corned beef, it gets eaten.   I cook my potatoes separately-chopped with onion and parsley, and placed in a large pan, dot with butter and salt and pepper, cover with foil and bake about an hour or so until done.   No one in our family really care to drink Guinness but we love the corned beef cooked in it.   I used to use Killions but we like it better with the Guinness.   

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I would love it if someone would share their corned beef crock pot recipe!! Thank you 🙏.

Not in the crock pot but a Chicago fireman shared this technique and I've been making my corned beefs this way for quite a while. 

325 Corned Beef

put (unrinsed) corned beef in 9 x 13 pan. Add 2 or three cans or bottles of beer - enough to come 2/3s the way up the beef.  Sprinkle the seasoning packet over the meat.  Add potatoes, carrots, garlic, cabbage if you want. Cover tightly with foil.  Bake at 325 degrees for three hours twenty-five minutes.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @JillyMarie  I am going to try this.

A couple years ago, we had a CB cook off.

One smoked, one boiled, one in the crock and one BAKED.

We used this recipe I got here...I think from @Mothertrucker ?  I apologize if I got the poster wrong.

It won HANDS down.  15 ppl voted and unanimous for BAKED!  I have made it this way ever since and won't go back to the other methods.  The apricot glaze was a hit!

I did my veggies roasted separate and sauted the cabbage w/ bacon like @mustang66lady  taught me!  FAB!  No more boiled soggy veggies and we actually ate ALL the shredded cabbage!  When I used to cut it in hunks and boil w/ the CB...it mostly went in the garbage!

CORNED BEEF ROASTED IN OVEN W/ APRICOT JAM GLAZE

the best way, hands down, to cook corned beef...

Drain it, throw out the packet..

Wrap the meat in heavy duty foil, place on baking sheet .

place in 275 degree oven..

bake 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hr per pound..  

if you like, when it is done,

glaze with a mix of apricot jam, horseradish and mustard

and broil for a few minutes..

it will be the most tender and least shrunken corned beef EVER..

We have done this for 40 years, and swear by it...

We were out of the country this year for St. Patty's Day.  I have 4 in the freezer and they will all be baked!  I may try one w/ this beer recipe though!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

I did my veggies roasted separate and sauted the cabbage w/ bacon like @mustang66lady  taught me!  FAB!  No more boiled soggy veggies and we actually ate ALL the shredded cabbage!  When I used to cut it in hunks and boil w/ the CB...it mostly went in the garbage!

@RespectLife 

@mustang66lady 

Another vote for mustang's pan sauted cabbage with onions, garlic, bacon.

I have a bag chopped & ready to cook tonight after work.

YUM!!!