Occasional Contributor

Re: Do You Have a Recipe for Big, Soft Sugar Cookies?

Taste of Home Logo
Amish Sugar Cookies Recipe

These easy-to-make cookies simply melt in your mouth! I've passed the recipe around to many friends. After I gave the recipe to my sister, she entered the cookies in a local fair and won the "best of show" prize! —Sylvia Ford, Kennett, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 10 min./batchYIELD:30 servings
Ingredients
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
Directions
1. In a large bowl, beat the butter, oil and sugars. Beat in eggs until well blended. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to creamed mixture.
2. Drop by small teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Nutritional Facts
2 each: 233 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC

Super Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:

@lork wrote:

I think you will be happy with this recipe.  Plain Janes are soft, sugar topped sugar cookies that seem to get better with time.  Hope you like them as much as my family does. . . 

PLAIN JANES

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 cup shortening

2 eggs, beaten well

1 tsp. soda

1 tsp. baking powder

1 cup sour cream

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. vanilla

3  to 4 cups flour

a pinch of mace (optional)

additional sugar

Mix soda into sour cream; set aside.  Cream sugar and shortening together, beat in eggs and vanilla, and sour cream mixture.  While mixing, add baking powder, salt, Mace and flour.  Cover and chill for several hours or overnight.  On well floured board, roll dough out to 1/4", and cut with your favorite cookie cutters.  Place cookies on oiled cookie sheet, sprknkle with additional sugar and bake at 350 degrees until just doen on the bottom of cookies.  (Don't overbake!).  Remove from hot cookie sheets and allow to cool on waxed paper.  Store in tightly covered container.  You don't have to add the mace, but I do, because our youngest son's name is MACE!

@lork, these cookies sound delicious. Can they be frosted instead of sprinkling the tops with sugar? Thanks so much.

snicks, Plain Janes are soft and really lend themselves to a sugar topping.  I have never frosted them (but they're a family favorite).  When I want to decorate/fost sugar cookies, I bake THE BEST SUGAR COOKIES.  It took me absolutely years to find this recipe and it's a real keeper.  Of course kids love decorated cookies, as do all of my children.  I try to bake them for every holiday, as I have a major investment in cookie cutters/sprinkles!

THE BEST SUGAR COOKIES

3 eggs, separated

1 cup melted margarine (not butter)

1 cup sugar 

2 tsp. vanilla

4 cups flour 

1/4 tsp. salt

2 Tablespoons baking powder

Beat egg whites till stiff and set aside (I pile them on a plate).  Beat egg yolks until creamy; gently combine with the egg whites.  Add melted margarine, sugar and vanilla.  Beat.  Sift dry ingredients together and mix in.  Cover and chill.  Roll dough on floured board about 1/4" thick and cut as wished.  Bake on oiled cookie sheets for 8 minutes at 350 degrees.  Cool.  Decorate as you like.  I frost with buttercream icing and store in frig.  These cookies are very good for cutting and produce a thick, cake like cookie with a butter flavor.

BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

1/2 cup soft butter

4 1/2 cups powdered sugar

*1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

5-6 Tablespoons milk

Whip all ingredients together until light and fluffy; produces about 3 cups of icing.  *Other flavorings might include almond, lemon, orange or peppermint extract, peanut butter or cocoa.  Add desired food coloring and/or sprinkles.  

Honored Contributor

@lork, thank you. My granddaughter wants to make sugar cookies with buttercream frosting and I didn't have a good recipe for them. We will have fun making these, I'm sure. Thanks again.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jamma wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

In a couple of weeks I need to bake some cookies and I'd like to make some of those big soft sugar cookies that you hardly ever see now.  Some people called them Tea Cakes.  Often the tops would be sprinkled with sugar. 

I thought maybe someone out there would have a recipe maybe even one passed down to them.  I haven't seen that kind in a long time!

THANKS for checking it out!

What you are asking for sound very much like these:

SOUR CREAM SUGAR COOKIES

3/4 C shortening & butter combined

2 C sugar                                       4C sifted flour

3 eggs                                             1 Tsp. each Baking soda, Baking powder & salt

1 C Sour Cream

Cream shortening & butter with sugar.Add eggs 1 at a time.  Mix thoroughly.  Add Sour Cream alternately with dry ingrediants.  

Drop by Tablespoons onto greased and floured cookie sheets.  Sprinkle with colored or plain sugar, sugar and cinnomin or chocolate or colored sprinkles.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven 10 minutes or until golden.  Makes about 4 dozen according to size..,,,,they are so good.

Jamma

@Jamma

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS RECIPE!   am sorry to say I have not yet had time to make ALL the recipes given here, but I WILL!!!!

I am reporting on this one that it is quick, easy and wonderful!   Mine turned out somewhere between cake and cookie, and it is keeping well only because there are just 2 of us and we have been out of the house a lot.  I put them in a tin cookie box!

I highly recomment this recipe!  I will confess I forgot to put the sugar in to cream it, so I added it AFTER the flour and they were (to my amazement) still wonderful!  I can't wait to try them again they way they are SUPPOSED to be made!

Honored Contributor

I cheat I hav discovered Betty Crocker cookie mix packets! They have all kinds. My GD and I just made the sugar both drop style & cut out. Easy and delicious! We decorated with a simply royal icing (meringue powder, cons sugar, milk & food coloring & -added sprinkles).

Tomorrow are are going to make PBS cookies with Hershey kisses

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Jamma wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

In a couple of weeks I need to bake some cookies and I'd like to make some of those big soft sugar cookies that you hardly ever see now.  Some people called them Tea Cakes.  Often the tops would be sprinkled with sugar. 

I thought maybe someone out there would have a recipe maybe even one passed down to them.  I haven't seen that kind in a long time!

THANKS for checking it out!

What you are asking for sound very much like these:

SOUR CREAM SUGAR COOKIES

3/4 C shortening & butter combined

2 C sugar                                       4C sifted flour

3 eggs                                             1 Tsp. each Baking soda, Baking powder & salt

1 C Sour Cream

Cream shortening & butter with sugar.Add eggs 1 at a time.  Mix thoroughly.  Add Sour Cream alternately with dry ingrediants.  

Drop by Tablespoons onto greased and floured cookie sheets.  Sprinkle with colored or plain sugar, sugar and cinnomin or chocolate or colored sprinkles.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven 10 minutes or until golden.  Makes about 4 dozen according to size..,,,,they are so good.

Jamma

@Jamma

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS RECIPE!   am sorry to say I have not yet had time to make ALL the recipes given here, but I WILL!!!!

I am reporting on this one that it is quick, easy and wonderful!   Mine turned out somewhere between cake and cookie, and it is keeping well only because there are just 2 of us and we have been out of the house a lot.  I put them in a tin cookie box!

I highly recomment this recipe!  I will confess I forgot to put the sugar in to cream it, so I added it AFTER the flour and they were (to my amazement) still wonderful!  I can't wait to try them again they way they are SUPPOSED to be made!

Glad you enjoyed them.  It makes me happy to know I could help.  Yes you hit the nail on the head they are between cake and cookie.

Jamma