Honored Contributor

This is a very dense cake rather than a cake-like texture.  It is more about the add-ins.  The recipe was in one of the Penzey's catalogs.  It is delicious and easy.

1-1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 t vanilla
2 cups flour
2 t baking soda
2 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
2 cups shredded carrots (about 6 med)
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 8 oz crushed pineapple with juice
1 cup golden raisins

Heat oven to 350.

In a large bowl beat together the sugar, oil, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.  In a second bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and stir.  Gradually add the dry ingredients to the batter.  Mix gently.  Fold in the carrots, coconut, walnuts, pineapple and raisins.  Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake for about one hour until toothpick in center comes out clean.  Cool completely before frosting.

Frosting:

8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 t vanilla
3-1/2 cups powdered sugar

Cream together the cream cheese and butter until fluffy.  Add the vanilla and stir.  Sift the powdered sugar in gradually and beat until thoroughly blended.  

Hope you enjoy.  A piece with coffee was good for breakfast this morning...

Trusted Contributor

Oh my, this sounds good.  I want a piece right now!! 

Trusted Contributor

Thank you.

Valued Contributor

I'm making this TODAY!! Thank you DiAnne!!!

Honored Contributor

My recipe is very, very similar but since I am allergic to walnuts, I use pecans.  Good, yummy recipe.  

Respected Contributor

Yum! Thanks..I usually Doctor up packaged carrot cake mix with coconut, grated carrots, nuts and carrot baby food...But if I am going to do that...well this is just as easy!

Valued Contributor

@DiAnne

Just wanted to let you know that I made this cake last week and it was INCREDIBLE!!

Thank you so very much for your recipe! The whole family loved it!

Have a great Sunday,

LoLa

Honored Contributor

@LoLa

Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed it.  It is great for breakfast with a cup of coffe - carrots and pineapple - what could be bad!