Trusted Contributor

Creamed whole (pearl) onions an old Thansgiving Recipe....any ideas?

My mother used to make creamed onions as a side dish for TG.  I loved them.

I was fairly young when she passed away, and I have tried year after year to make

them.  My family likes them, but they are not at all as good as my mother's.  Is there

anyone out there who makes these and can offer some suggestions?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Creamed whole (pearl) onions an old Thansgiving Recipe....any ideas?

My mother made them as well. I'll tell you my recipe, boil small pearl onions, the sauce is a basic white sauce. (I just follow any cook book recipe for white sauce, I believe it's flour, butter and cream, salt and pepper). Good luck, happy thanksgiving!
Honored Contributor

My mother made creamed onions but just used normal sliced onions.  Onions this time of year are very strong making the the prep a miserable, tearful job.  I was just wondering why I didn't think to use my protective goggles.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

i made creamed onions for years -  making a white sauce and adding in the jarred onions.  always a family favorite - at the dinner and for leftovers.  i never had the desire to tackle preparing the fresh bitty onions so always shortcutted.  the jarred onions aren't too strong which might add to their popularity.

Valued Contributor

I have made them with several types of onions and prefer the sliced. The pearls look prettier, but what a pain to peel!  I make a white sauce with a bit of Dijon mustard and sometimes with some curry. I like both, family likes Dijon ones.  

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Respected Contributor

I like creamed onions as well, and would occasionally make them for special dinners.  Then, all of a sudden, I could no longer find the frozen mini onions, so the dish fell off my radar screen.  I used a basic recipe, such as the poster above -- the basic white sause.   Maybe it is time to revisit this . .  .

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

Had a Creamed Onion Casserole at our Thanksgiving lunch today.  Interesting.  If I can get the recipe I will post it.  Never seen one before but it was very good!