Honored Contributor

Re: Ciprianis Vanilla Creme Meringue cake

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

I've never had it either but from looking at the pictures it seems pretty straight forward. I can't tell what type of cake layers it has, but they could be chiffon cake, looks like vanilla pastry cream and just meringue over it. I'd brown the meringue with a blow torch. 

I thought so too and tried several different times, and not even close. In the tv show it said they made a sponge cake with cream in the layers and then meringue on top. I tried pastry cream the first time and then whipped cream and still wasn't getting close. I mean sponge and pastry cream recipes can vary so much so i was trying to get as close as I could. They did mentioned using lemon zest in it, but didn't specify in the cream or the cake. UGH.... I have just never had a recipe that was so difficult to find at least a template for. Thanks ladies!

It's hard because there are different kinds of sponge cakes too. Did you try lightening the  pastry cream by folding in whipped cream? I'd put the lemon zest in the pastry cream mixture. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

The cake looks delicious from the pictures.  Epicurious has a recipe for a similar cake, but it looks complicated, and I have no idea what vanilla essence is.  Anyway, check out the recipe.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@Love orchids wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Can I ask what you are googling exactly @m0rgan? I am typing in Cipriani Vanilla Creme Meringue cake and I am not seeing anything from youtube but if you are even a word off sometimes, it will affect it and that is why I am asking. Thanks!

Morgan said leave out the word "creme" when googling.

DUH, I just noticed that a couple of minutes before I read this!! lol!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

The cake looks delicious from the pictures.  Epicurious has a recipe for a similar cake, but it looks complicated, and I have no idea what vanilla essence is.  Anyway, check out the recipe.

That is one I tried out a couple of years ago. It was ok but not great. The older i get the more I think that food tastes best when someone else makes it. Even if I do the exact recipe I will like the other best. Thanks @SXMGirl!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 I'm not picky, whatever version you end up making just please give me a head's up when it is due to come out of the oven and I'll be on the next plane . . . it sounds wonderful, much success my friend!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 I'm not picky, whatever version you end up making just please give me a head's up when it is due to come out of the oven and I'll be on the next plane . . . it sounds wonderful, much success my friend!  Smiley Happy

YOu got it @momtochloe! You know you're always invited!

JFK
Valued Contributor

It was just luck that I found it.  I am very happy for you.  Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

I don't know the cake, but am intrigued now.  I found this recipe for Lemon Scented Meringue Cake, and it looks very, very similar to the one in the YouTube video. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

I've never had it either but from looking at the pictures it seems pretty straight forward. I can't tell what type of cake layers it has, but they could be chiffon cake, looks like vanilla pastry cream and just meringue over it. I'd brown the meringue with a blow torch. 

I thought so too and tried several different times, and not even close. In the tv show it said they made a sponge cake with cream in the layers and then meringue on top. I tried pastry cream the first time and then whipped cream and still wasn't getting close. I mean sponge and pastry cream recipes can vary so much so i was trying to get as close as I could. They did mentioned using lemon zest in it, but didn't specify in the cream or the cake. UGH.... I have just never had a recipe that was so difficult to find at least a template for. Thanks ladies!

It's hard because there are different kinds of sponge cakes too. Did you try lightening the  pastry cream by folding in whipped cream? I'd put the lemon zest in the pastry cream mixture. 

The video Morgan found, showed them adding cream to the pastry cream so that is what I will be doing @jaxs mom. I didn't do that the first time. 

JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

I don't know the cake, but am intrigued now.  I found this recipe for Lemon Scented Meringue Cake, and it looks very, very similar to the one in the YouTube video. 

We are big fans of lemon anything in this house @IamMrsG so after I attempt the first one, I am going to try this one. Thanks for this!

JFK