Respected Contributor

Re: Chicken w Mushrooms & Onions; Asparagus; Orzo

@IamMrsG

Thank you for posting such wonderful recipes.  I love that they are tried and true! 

I have a question about this recipe.  I noticed that the cook time for the chicken is short so My question is about the cutting or slicing of the chicken breasts.  I was thinking that you purchased the thick or regular chicken breasts and then cut them lengthwise in half but now I am wondering if you actually sliced them in half to make them thinner?  If it was to make them thinner than could I use the thin sliced ones?  Sorry for being such a dummy.  Thanks again for all the great recipes that you post. Please keep on posting!

Respected Contributor

luvsbulldogs wrote, in part: " . . . I have a question about this recipe.  I noticed that the cook time for the chicken is short so My question is about the cutting or slicing of the chicken breasts.  I was thinking that you purchased the thick or regular chicken breasts and then cut them lengthwise in half but now I am wondering if you actually sliced them in half to make them thinner?  If it was to make them thinner than could I use the thin sliced ones?  Sorry for being such a dummy. . ."  

Hello, @luvsbulldogs  You are by no means a dummy for asking this.  It's a perfectly good question.

I have prepared this dish with both cuts of chicken as you described.  My opinion is I got a better result from chicken breast halves that I cut through myself.  The cutlets I have bought struck me as older chicken.  Also, those cutlets can be too thin--easily overcooked, resulting in dry, rubbery chicken.

Here is a trick to cutting horizontally through the breasts: partially freeze them first.  They'll cut more easily and you will feel more safe.  And if you happen to buy the Dolly Parton variety of breasts <tic>, i.e., extra thick, you might even have to pound them some to flatten them further.

It's gratifying to hear you enjoy the recipes I have shared.  I enjoy doing it, although sometimes I brace myself for snark about the health of and/or number of ingredients or steps involved.   You know how it goes.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

luvsbulldogs wrote, in part: " . . . I have a question about this recipe.  I noticed that the cook time for the chicken is short so My question is about the cutting or slicing of the chicken breasts.  I was thinking that you purchased the thick or regular chicken breasts and then cut them lengthwise in half but now I am wondering if you actually sliced them in half to make them thinner?  If it was to make them thinner than could I use the thin sliced ones?  Sorry for being such a dummy. . ."  

Hello, @luvsbulldogs  You are by no means a dummy for asking this.  It's a perfectly good question.

I have prepared this dish with both cuts of chicken as you described.  My opinion is I got a better result from chicken breast halves that I cut through myself.  The cutlets I have bought struck me as older chicken.  Also, those cutlets can be too thin--easily overcooked, resulting in dry, rubbery chicken.

Here is a trick to cutting horizontally through the breasts: partially freeze them first.  They'll cut more easily and you will feel more safe.  And if you happen to buy the Dolly Parton variety of breasts <tic>, i.e., extra thick, you might even have to pound them some to flatten them further.

It's gratifying to hear you enjoy the recipes I have shared.  I enjoy doing it, although sometimes I brace myself for snark about the health of and/or number of ingredients or steps involved.   You know how it goes.

@IamMrsG

Thank you so much for answering my questions.  I too think that sometimes the thin ones seem like older chickens and I have a tendency to over cook them.  I am going to do it like you said when I try your recipe. 

I know exactly what you are saying.  I feel that there are ingredients that some do not prefer then instead of making a not so nice comment to just move along to another recipe that might suit you.  I like your way of cooking and will definitely be trying this recipe.  Thanks for sharing!