Respected Contributor

Re: Casserole's Always A Crowd Pleaser...

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Thank you for this.  I don't know why some people - like my brother-in-law - sneer at "casseroles," like they're too good for such food.

Because some of us have health concerns that make us not have or severly limit things like this that you get at a lot of gatherings where people eat. . . sometimes it's hard for people to say "I can't eat that" or "I'll just have a bite" when they are in social situations.  Just saying, don't assume too much about why they avoid some foods. . . 

That's true.  I can't have any dairy at all, so I can't eat most of the  casseroles posted here.  The sloppy joe casserole sounds delicious, but even the biscuits have milk in them I'm sure.  I can revamp them with fake cheese, but that stuff is nasty IMO.  LOL  I do leave out the cheese in a lot of recipes and make them anyway.  But if someone else makes it, I don't have that option.

However in a social situation, I have no trouble saying "sorry, I can't eat any dairy".  BUT I will mention that all my family and friends know this about me.  Most families would know this, right?  The BIL probably doesn't like foods mixed together.  Lots of people don't.

Honored Contributor

Hi @mima, that Sloppy Joe Casserole base is delicious by itself.  I had some this morning on top of a scrambled egg.  The biscuits are just a nice addition and @Citrine1 mentioned she tops her with mashed potatoes if you would like to give that a try (I know regular mashed potatoes have dairy in them but if there is a version you are aware of that is made without milk that could be a good alternative).

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Hi @mima, that Sloppy Joe Casserole base is delicious by itself.  I had some this morning on top of a scrambled egg.  The biscuits are just a nice addition and @Citrine1 mentioned she tops her with mashed potatoes if you would like to give that a try (I know regular mashed potatoes have dairy in them but if there is a version you are aware of that is made without milk that could be a good alternative).

Yes, I just might try the mashed potato version.  I can make my own mashed potatoes using unsweetened almond milk.  It really does sound good.  Thank you both @momtochloe and @Citrine1 for the ideas!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Thank you for this.  I don't know why some people - like my brother-in-law - sneer at "casseroles," like they're too good for such food.

Because some of us have health concerns that make us not have or severly limit things like this that you get at a lot of gatherings where people eat. . . sometimes it's hard for people to say "I can't eat that" or "I'll just have a bite" when they are in social situations.  Just saying, don't assume too much about why they avoid some foods. . . 

@Sooner

I have food allergies and if I can't tell what's in a dish by looking at it, I pass.  If you ask someone "what's in it?", many either get defensive or act like the ingredients are some sort of national defense secret!  

I'm seriously allergic to shellfish and once ordered a chicken dish at a Chinese restaurant and with the first bite, felt tingly swelling in my mouth.  Believe it or not, they added oyster sauce to a chicken dish!  Who does that?  You have to be SO careful!   Crazy!!!

Respected Contributor

My nephew has a wheat allergy, so if we don't know what is in it, the he doesn't get it. That is really simple. I hate when people come to a buffet and then complain about everything not being their way, duh....it is a pot luck/buffet...that is where the luck part comes in!

@Tinkrbl44 Oyster sauce is a very common sauce in all Asian food. They are very centered on the ocean for most of the cultures. You can always make sure they don't use anything shellfish by telling them to make sure there is no shellfish or sauces containing it, but many of their sauces are pre-mixed. That greatly affects how you eat out especially in Asian places. Fish sauce is another common sauce used as part of the whole dish.
Respected Contributor

Re: Casseroles Always A Crowd Pleaser...

Chicken Tetrazzuni Casserole  

Ingredients

1 - (7-ounce) package uncooked dried spaghetti, broken in half
5 - tablespoons of butter
1 - (8-ounce) package (2 cups) sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 - cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 - cup chopped onion
1/4 - cup all-purpose flour
2 - cups 2% milk
2 - cups finely chopped cooked chicken
1 - (2-ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained
2 - teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
1/4 -  teaspoon pepper
1/2 - cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 - cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain. Keep warm.
  2. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in 12-inch skillet until sizzling; add mushrooms, green pepper and onion. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisply tender (4 to 5 minutes). Set aside.
  3. Melt remaining butter in 3-quart saucepan; stir in flour. Cook 1 minute. Stir in milk with wire whisk until smooth. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil (6 to 8 minutes). Remove from heat. Stir in cooked spaghetti and vegetables, chicken, pimientos, bouillon granules and pepper.
  4. Spoon into greased 2-quart casserole or 13x9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
  5. Enjoy!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Breakfast Enchilada Baked Casserole

Ingredients

10 - Large Eggs
1/4 - cup 2% Milk 
3 - Tablespoons Butter
1/4  - cup sliced green onions
1 - teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
1 - cup black beans, rinsed, drained
3 -  tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 - teaspoon salt
1/8 - teaspoon pepper
12 - (8-inch) corn tortillas
2 - Cups of Pepper Jack Cheese, Shredded
1 - (19-ounce) can enchilada sauce
1 - Cup Chunky Style Salsa

***Note - (You can use Mild or Hot Enchilada Sauce) whatever you and your family prefer. 

Toppings

Sour cream, Salsa, Chopped fresh cilantro, 

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350-. Spray 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish with no-stick cooking spray; set aside.
  2. Combine eggs and milk in bowl; beat on medium speed until well mixed.
  3. Melt butter in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add green onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Add egg mixture, beans, 3 tablespoons cilantro, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, gently lifting and stirring slightly with spatula to allow uncooked portion to flow underneath, 10-12 minutes or until set .
  4. Combine enchilada sauce and 1 cup salsa in medium bowl. Spread 3/4 cup salsa mixture onto bottom of prepared pan. Layer 6 corn tortillas, half of egg mixture and 1 cup of shredded cheese. Spoon 3/4 cup salsa mixture over all. Repeat layers ending with sauce.
  5. Cover with aluminum foil; bake 20-22 minutes or until bubbly. Remove foil; continue baking 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
  6. Top with sour cream, salsa and cilantro, if desired.
  7. Enjoy!
Recipe Tips

*Substitute 2 (10-ounce) cans enchilada sauce. 

Enchiladas can be prepared up to 2 hours ahead. Cover; refrigerate. Bake as directed.

They make both Mild and Hot Enchilada Sauce 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Beef Tamale Casserole

Ingredients Casserole

2 - Pound Lean Ground Beef
1 -  Medium Onion, Chopped
1- (7-ounce) can Chopped Mild Green Chilies
1 - can (14 ounce) can of Black Beans, Drained and Rinse 
1- (11-ounce) can Mexican-style corn***, drained
2 - (10-ounce) can Mild  Enchilada Sauce (Save 1 can Enchilada sauce pour over top)
12 - (6-inch) Corn Tortillas
 2 - Cups Mild cheddar Shredded Cheese

1 - 8 oz of Sour Cream (Reserve for Toppings)
5 - Green Onions Chopped (Reserve for Toppings)
1 - 8 oz Salsa (Reserve for Toppings)

Toppings 

Right before serving layer Sour Cream, Sliced Green Onion, Salsa

Directions  (Preheat oven 350-)

1. Grease or Spray 13 x 9 casserole dish.
  2. Cook ground beef and onion in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink; drain, if necessary.
  3. Stir in skillet green chilies, Mexican corn, black beans and 1 can enchilada sauce. Cook until heated .
  4. Place 3 tablespoons of reserve enchilada sauce on bottom of casserole start layering with - 4 - Corn Tortillas in bottom of casserole dish.
  5. Layer with 1 1/3 cups meat mixture and 3/4 cup shredded cheese .
  6. Repeat layers
  7. Top Last layer should be - 4- Corn Tortillas  
  8.  Pour 1 can of Enchilada Sauce over entire top of casserole.
  9. Cover;  bake for 35 mins.
  10. Last 10 mins uncover and and any remaining cheese 
  11. Return to over bake until cheese is bubbly
  12. Remove from oven
  13. Layer with TOPPINGS  top with sour cream; sliced green onion, salsa.
  14. (Or if you wish you can have these on the side and each person can top their own) 
  15. Enjoy!
Recipe Tips

*** Use ground turkey instead of ground beef. 

*** To make ahead, cook ground beef as directed above. Add green chilies, corn , black bean and enchilada sauce; mix well. Refrigerate.

When ready to cook, assemble 13 x 9 greased casserole and bake at 350*.

*Substitute - 1 3/4 cups of can corn.  If you can not find Mexican Style Corn 

Respected Contributor

@Bellabutterfly  I don't know if this may be the recipe or similar to what your Aunt made.  I found it in a recipe book published by members of our church (1995).  I can't attest to its taste as I never made it.  Note:  Since this recipe is from many years ago, the ounce size of listed packaged ingredients may have been changed by the manufacturers.  

BROCCOLI RICE CASSEROLE

1 small onion, chopped

1/2 c. chopped celery

1 (10oz) pkg. frozen chopped broccoli, thawed

1 tbsp. butter or maragarine

1 (8 oz.) jar processed cheese spread (like cheeze wiz)

1 can condensed mushroom soup, undiluted

1 (5 oz.) can condensed milk

3 c. cooked rice

In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onions, celery and broccoli for 5 to 8 minutes.  Stir in cheese, soup and canned milk until smooth.  Put rice in greased 8-inch square baking dish.  Pour cheese mixture over.  Do not stir.  Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Respected Contributor

This recipe I printed from allrecipes dot com.  I have not made it yet but it sounds yummy and I plan on making it soon.

FRENCH ONION CASSEROLE

1 pound lean ground beef

1 cup uncooked white rice

1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed French onion soup

1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup

1/2 cup chopped celery

1/2 cup chopped green onions

1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Put all ingredients in a 2 quart casserole and mix well. (could also mix all in a bowl then place in the casserole dish.)

Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

It does not say to pre fry ground beef so I guess that is why lean ground beef is used.