Respected Contributor

Carbonara Pizza

[ Edited ]

DARING GREATLY  Your thread about pizza dough reminded me of this old recipe I have in my files.  It makes a large pizza -- I make a Focaccia in a jelly roll pan for the crust.  If you like garlic, this is one you will make over and over.

Carbonara Pizza 

1 pizza dough 
Cornmeal, for sprinkling on pizza pan 
Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
1/4 pound pancetta, chopped 
1 cup ricotta cheese 
1/4 cup (a generous handful) grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
1 large clove garlic, grated on a microplane (I use two)
Black pepper
2 large egg yolks, beaten  
1 ½ to 2 cups shredded provolone cheese 
A handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped

Preheat oven to 450º

Roll out dough into a large, thin, round or rectangular shape. Scatter a little cornmeal on the pizza pan or baking sheet before placing rolled-out dough on it.

Drizzle dough with olive oil and poke it with fork tines in a few places.

Place in oven and partially bake for 7-8 minutes.

Drizzle olive oil in a small skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Cook pancetta until crisp, 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool.

Brush the baked pizza crust with some of the grease from the skillet you cooked the pancetta in for a little extra flavor.

Add beaten egg yolks, ricotta, Romano, grated garlic and black pepper to a bowl and stir to combine.

Spread the ricotta cheese mixture out over the pizza crust, then top with provolone cheese.

Scatter the reserved pancetta all over and bake 12 minutes or until crust is crisp and the cheese is evenly golden on top.

Scatter parsley over cooked pizza, cut into wedges and serve. 

Edited to get around a censored word. "'Pr1ck' it with a fork" not allowed.  Woman Wink

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks IamMrsG ..... this sounds so delicious.... I will definitely give it a try!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Wow, Mrs. G...this does sound delicious!  Thank you very much for sharing it!!!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for sharing IamMrsG. I love Pasta Carbona. This is right up my alley.

Respected Contributor

Re: Carbonara Pizza

[ Edited ]

This is dinner tonight, but I'm doing something different.  I am in the process of making a focaccia for the crust, but have cut the dough in half, to make two smaller ones.    

With the first half, I will make this pizza and salads for dinner tonight.  I am reserving the second half for 'buns' to be used with wine burgers tomorrow night.  I have been trying for years to replicate a favorite wine burger from a defunct restaurant.  I've come "this close," but never right on the button.  If this new version turns out well enough, I'll be back to share tomorrow night.  

Edited to correct a typo. Woman Embarassed

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

I am clicking my heal 3 times and repeating, "There's no place like Mrs. G's kitchen"....and then "I wish I was Mr. G."!!!

Poodlepet2