Respected Contributor

Has anyone made these?  Did you find them tedious or worth the effort?

We had them at a function and they were so good.

Honored Contributor

I bought some cake ball pop pans but never made any. After I ate 1 I bought at the store that was cake mix mixed with frosting. I thought it was really gross. I was expecting more of a cake pop instead of like I was eating gooey gross frosting type consistency with hardly any cake. I would like cake pops made with cake mix dipped in chocolate or other flavor. The cake mix has to be mixed with something to keep it from falling apart.

Honored Contributor

I made red velvet cake balls for a work function several years ago.   Despite the fact they were a hit, and disappeared quickly, I decided it was a first, and last experience for me.   

I had to use a lot more icing than the recipe called for to get the cake balls to hold together.   The white chocolate chips did not melt well, so the dipping process was not a smooth one.  I decided it was a miracle to wind up with an edible product after all of the hassle, so I am one, and done with cake pops.   

Respected Contributor

Thanks for your input!

RedTop the problem with the coating may have been that white chocolate chips are a bear to melt and stay smooth. Most recipes I have seen use coating or candy melts...milk or white chocolate.

I'll have to think about how much I want them. LOL

Honored Contributor

They're too labor intensive.  It's less work to make a 9 x 13, cut it small and use toothpicks.

Contributor

I have made these Cake Balls in the past and they were sure a hit.

Made some for my great-grandson a couple years ago and he called

me us and said { Hey Mema where did you buy these they are awsome }

Now this February will be his 18th birthday and he now was requested them

and wants me to send them to him.  So that is what I will do.  He likes the

German Chocolate ones as that is what I sent in the past.

Wish me luck as they do take a little time.  And I hope the weather will be cool

when they go to him in Virginia.

Schultzi

Super Contributor

I made them once several years ago. Once being the operative word, as that was enough for me, LOL.

It's fun to think of different flavor combinations, but they are a PITA to make. Not difficult, but tedious and kind of messy for the "simple" end result. They'll be gobbled up in five nanoseconds. Just not worth the effort IMO.

I've noticed now they have cake pop molds to suppposedly make the job less painful. I've seen restaurants, bakeries, and Starbucks sell their own varieties of cake pops but haven't had the urge to try any of them.

I'd rather just have a (giant) slice of fresh homemade cake.