Regular Contributor

I found this in a recent Rachael Ray Magazine (I seem to be obsessed with black beans lately as I posted a Black Bean, Corn & Avocado recipe yesterday). I had some chorizo in the freezer & decided to go for it.

1 Tb. extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil

1/2 lb. raw chorizo, casings removed & meat crumbled or chopped

1 onion, chopped

2 Serrano or jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced or chopped

3-4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or chopped

1 Tb. ancho chili powder

1 tsp. ground cumin

1 tsp. ground coriander

Salt & Pepper

2 (15 oz.) cans black beans

3 c. chicken stock (I used unsalted)

4 eggs

Tortilla Chips

Opt. Toppings: crumbled queso fresco or other mild cheese, sliced scallions, pickled jalapenos, diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro

In a dutch oven or heavy pot, heat the oil over med. high heat. Add the chorizo & cook till crisp at the edges, about 2 min. Add the onion, chilies, garlic, chili powder, cumin & coriander; season with salt & pepper. Cook stirring to toast the spices for a couple of minutes. In a blender or food processor, puree 1 can of beans & 1 c. chicken stock. Add to the dutch oven along with the remaining 1 can of beans & 2c. stock. Simmer over med, high heat for a few minutes to thicken. Meanwhile cook the eggs by poaching or frying over easy. To serve, line the edges of soup bowls with a few tortilla chips. Add the soup, an egg on top for mixing in & any of the toppings you like.

When I made this, I felt it needed more meat, there were 4 casings of chorizo so I used 3 of them which was probably 3/4 of a pound. I used only 1 jalapeno & the Tb. of ancho chili powder was a scant Tb. & thought it was spicy enough but if you like it really spicy, add the other jalapeno & a full Tb. of the ancho chili powder. I have had it without the eggs , just didn't want to mess with it. I used Monterey jack shredded cheese as I couldn't find the queso at the store. It is a really hearty soup. I hope you like it.

Let's Stay in Touch

* *You're signing up to receive QVC promotional email.
Connect with Us

The scoop on everything Q, from helpful tips to interesting tidbits, questions, answers, and more.

QVC is not responsible for the availability, content, security, policies, or practices of the above referenced third-party linked sites, nor liable for statements, claims, opinions, or representations contained therein. QVC's Privacy Statement does not apply to these third-party web sites.

© 1995–2015 QVC, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademark Notice

Desktop View Mobile View